stator rewind journal

Started by scootertramp, April 28, 2004, 04:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

A new one is 145 plus shipping.
a used one is half that.
So I made a choice based on my position.
REWIND.
I got the stator off and stripped. IT has six feet of wire on each pole. so six times eighteen plus a few feet equals a hunner'd a fiddy feet that the guy at the wire place is gonne sell me.
he gonne sell me the spray insul and the tubeing to wrap it all up in.
twenty bucks.
the really trick part is gonne be NOT breaking the wores as I solder it back on.  very delicate and dangerous time then. One break and its all over but the crying. redo.
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

scootertramp

what i can't get over is all the wires touch till they go out into three, The three ins are grouped together and joined, solder'd,pushed down to the rest of the wires and insul sprayed. The three outs touch all the way around . only untill one seperates them as the wires are solder'd are the then no longer touching each other.
 my minde wants them to never touch like speaker wires..

Where do I get the Electrical connectors and how do I change them out?
cause this is a

Dave T.

Hope you have strong hands and patience. I did 3 of them and it's no fun. They only lasted 100 miles or so. Keeping the wires from shorting to ground is the tricky part. I thought they found some ceramic magnet wire that's rated for like 200 deg. celcius.

A guy showed me how to tie the 3 wires together. Just twist them and use an Oxy Acetelene torch to melt them together at the end and insulate. Seems like they fail when too much heat is generated between the wire and they short together or to ground.

Good luck!  ;D
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

scootertramp

QuoteHope you have strong hands and patience. I did 3 of them and it's no fun. They only lasted 100 miles or so. Keeping the wires from shorting to ground is the tricky part. Seems like they fail when too much heat is generated between the wire and they short together or to ground.

Good luck! ?;D

yours only lasted a hunner'd miles? three times?
How did you go wrong do you suppose? not insulated well enough? were the poles nicked or cracked?
now you got me worried.
awwa life is a crapshoot anyhoo.
I heard that a new stator is subject to fail too.
What was the look of the stators you installed?

all I can do is make sure the poles look pristine before winding with gloves and spray it till I can't see the wires.
Maybe the wire guy can DIP it for me. or something.
 thats a thinker.  

how did you insulate yours?
gimme a step by step.. please...
cause this is a

rick_nowak

scoot, make sure that the poles that you are wrapping the wires around are not even remotely sharp, nor the immediate adjacent areas.  no nicking, ever, is the name of the game. some detail filing is probably in order.  also, it will be massivly important to be able to hold the stator assembly in an immobile way.  it would be worth your time to make some sort of fixture out of wood that can be held in a vise.  the fixture should allow complete access to the poles without having to move it during the wrapping process.  the fixture could be as simple as a 2 x 6 that is notched a little at the end so you can jam and toenail or screw the stator to it. then clamp the assy sideways in the vise.  don't worry about the wire ends at this time except to keep them nick free.  as i'm sure you know since you took your old stator apart, you can wrap one wire at a time, every third pole.  take your time.  there is no measurable electrical benefit to making the wraps particularly (analy) tight around the poles, just snug, not loose,, and no sharp bends!  sharp bends can lead to the insulation cracking and flaking off.  
if your own workspace will not allow the above, find one that will.  otherwise you will waste your time
enjoy your day

George R. Young

I've never done this but here's some stator rewind instructions for a Suzuki:
http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorrewind.htm

Walt_M.

By now you should know why they cost $145 but, if you have the time and patience. A word of caution, somebody suggested that it is not necessary to keep the wraps tight. That is NOT true. If you do not keep them tight, the constant pulsing of the AC generated current will cause the wraps to rub together and wear the coating(insulation) off. Goodbye to all that work!
Whale oil beef hooked!

scootertramp

OY I had it in the vise and I was a'pullin' wores and it slipped a little. So what do I do? I crank down on the ol' visey wisey(Wrapped in thick foam for an easy grip) and break a corner offen one of the poles. OY!
Dang this is lookin' Gahrim. ahahaha!
I can epoxy that part I guess.  mold/build it back up.
as I will spray the entire stator with an insul epoxy  prior to wrapping the wores.
the board idea is a good'n. I have wood . oh yeah baby I got me some WOOD! ahahaha!
cause this is a

ElectWreck

a few of thoughts on the rewind.....  
1) be sure that you go the same way around all the poles.
2) when I took mine apart there were some fiber material around some of the poles, installed before the wire was wound on.  it looked like it was supposed to protect the wire from sharp edges.  i dunno if it really worked, as my stator was rrreally fried and i couldn't tell for sure what the material was.  some electrical rewind shops use cardboard, but motor coils are not usually bathed in motor oil.
3) when I took mine apart I counted the turns and found that the one of the poles was missing one turn and the next pole had one extra turn, but the total on each of the three legs was the same.  
4) when I measured the wire that came off i concluded that it must be a metric wire and that American wire comes in sizes bigger or smaller.  i opted for bigger, but had a hard time getting the same number of turns as was on the original.  I had to wind it really tight to get the same number of turns.

I haven't put mine back together yet, so i don't have any results for you.

rick_nowak

re. coil wrapping tightness, there is a happy medium here.  the stock piece is the model.  too tight and there is a danger of stretching the wire, and breaking things.  either will lead to insulation damage and a wasted effort.  remember, that in the manufacturing environment where these are made, most of this work is done by 100lb asian women who will, like all production workers in my experience, will not expend excess muscular effort if it is not required to get the part past testing and the foreman.  think sitting down at a bench with a special fixture to hold things together while you wrap and the above mentioned production worker and i'm surre you will get the idea.  this is not a test of testosterone!
enjoy your day

scootertramp

I got all the wores off and stiff brushed it.
I counted the wraps as well as I could and I got 29 28 and 27 as near as I could figger it.
Maybe they all the same thing but the wire kept breaking and OY!. So I measured a piece and I had  70 inches on the pole or six feet from pole to pole.
Someone told me I could MEASURE the OHMS RESISTANCE on a pole. HOW?
I'd rather have one wrap less than one more.
wrapping it up with masking tape so I can either dip it or spray it with insul epoxy.
I'm gonna test wrap a  leg  with some extra wore. to see if my  math cakkalations are correct.
I'l take it back off and count as well.
I only wish to do this once.
cause this is a

rick_nowak

scoot, i remember in the archives that someone did this fairly recently and gave the number of turns.  the measuring thing is to use the ohmeter part of your multimeter and toughing the ind of the wire and the core with the other probe.  if you get zero ohms or near that you have a short already. it should read infinity ohms for no short
enjoy your day

scootertramp

I looked in the archives and failed to find the article about the number of windes. .
Thanks though.
Anybody know?
cause this is a

scootertramp

OKay I got two poles test wound and man do I have a tough time remembering what wind I'm on. ahahah!
So I tried the measureing trick and got 70 eenches and 2 for the stretch from pole to pole. I wound twenty- nine times and still had a goodely amoont left till my  black measuremark.

so I gave it another winde. THIRTY. it's fat and mishaped and retarded looking and I still have woom till my mark. So I cut it back to twentynine and marked and wound the next one to see.  
twenty nine gruesome windes later I got a mishaped hulk on the pole and a foot till my mark.. ahahaha!
I can see where a notched and sanded  wooden clothes pin would be a cool tool here.

an' so it goes.
All that will come off and I'll epox and coat after I mask the entire metal area with high quality tape.  I'll tape a strip aroun' the outside and spray it well .
the main thing seems to be keeping the pole bulk evened out.
What if the wires touch each other from pole to pole? you know, after winding all the poles. the wires touch any way right?
 before I spray them?

If I do a total redo with brand new wores through out the case as well What type of wores should I use. I cannot use the same winding wire.. I must use a heavier shielded type.
I have wire of that nature but would'nt I need a high heat and oil resistant wire instead? of course ,i'll liberally coat em with varnish and epox.
I just need an idea of what type to shoot for. And where to get connectors?
I DO wish to install an inline voltmeter. Ideas?
cause this is a

scootertramp

I got the winding wire and insul spray enamel. I got several coats on the taped up core. I took the tape off and man it looks goode.
I'll let it dry  then retape and do another couple of coats.
I found the lead wires to run from the stator to the rr on a shelf at the place where I got my high temp coated winding wire.
so I'll be taking them out and replaceing  those. OY..
I'm nervous about the rubber grommetts. I went back and downloaded all the info i could finde.
there sure is a lot to choose from.
It's funny going way back and seeing where  LUCKY is a newbie. ahahaha!
anyhoo. the core is drying and ready for coats two and three.
then winding.

WINDING. I got 17 gauge. I found where there were mention of DIY with 25,winds and 29 windes.
I thought I got 29 windes once. but then I also got 28, and 27 too.
What if I went with 28?
28 windes. If there were s'posed to be 29 windes what would that do?

and why would one cat have twenty-five windes on his stock stator?
I
cause this is a

scootertramp

I got twelve of eighteen wrapped and only  most of em' are birdnested and all retarded lookin' the other one is purty.
ahahahah!  :-[ OY!
anyway the stuff I used chipped off to the black as I wrapped some of the poles and some of the windings are no where near tight as they should be.
a few poles got really out of whack and the wores touch on each pole so affected.
I may have miscounted windings several times.  up and down..
All in all a veddy sloppy and newbie job. I'm trying to STAY IN THE LINES like a four year old. wind,wind,wind oops unwind,un wind unwind.. rewind,rewind,rewind dang...
I have no craftsmanship abilities when it comes to engineering a fixx. I'm sorta' not really gifted in that depatment.  Oh Yah!
the insul spray seems thin at best so I may have to find something else to cover the windings.

I Found stainless Slot/spade connectors and some really nice emery cloth for buffing the tci spade connectors.
I will change out the ground wore as well as well as mod a few wires with solder/splice and  flat change out as in the ground.
the horror story by ofstone about stuff in his pickup scream almost made me go buy a gasket but I figger I'll wait for the next time I pull the stator cover. OY!
thin bead.. thin bead..
 I'f I get a hunner'd miles from the stator I'll be surprised ahahaha! it looks that bad Compared to a new one. ahahaha LOL!
maybe the insul spray will cover it well.
Maybe some  insul epoxy?

melting the three copper wires together is gonne be fun.
i'll practice a few times with some extra wore. .
Thanks for lettin' me share..  
cause this is a

scootertramp

I got em all wrapped and i see now why it's very important to tightly wind the windings.
Eighteen guage would be better to use only I used seventeen per advice I received.
On many poles the wires got twisted and are standing on each other piggyback.
]as soon as the vibrations set in from engine activity they're gonna shake loose and begin to roll around.

My $12.50 insul spray seems thin and inadequate for the job of insulating the wores.
I have one coat on and will try to overcoatat least three more times  or till the spraycan goes out. I have a half can left. I really wish to coat them wores.
I have a sinking feeling that it ain't gonna be goode enough. maybe a real craftsman would have made a better job of it.
I'm flyin' blind mostly. LOL!.
cause this is a

MotorPlow

Used Stator off eBay: $21.00
New Gasket from Yamaha: $8.95
Time from Burnt Stator to riding again: 16 Days
Reading ScooterTramp's postings regarding his Stator Rebuild: Priceless

Seriously, I give you credit for trying it.  I would not even think about attempting it.  I give you credit.

~Chris
PS: If I am asking you to search, I already have probable cause and will (One way or another).

scootertramp

I got like five or six or seven coats of that spray on now and it seems to be coating the wraps well. ?
it looks a lot like the ELECTREX one as far as being glossy and all.
Mine ain't got all the purty colors it's just RED from the spray. ?but it seems to look like the electrex one now.
The insul spray has filled in all the gaps and what not really well. that stuff dries fast too.
It's going a lot quicker now that all that ?stripping and core cleaning and winding is done.
I have all the connectors cleaned, emery'd and ready to go plus three new ones. .

I found one connection that needs to be solder'd(it's crimped) and then its vroom,vroom time. FTW.. I'm goin' ridin'! ahahaha!
P.S to the punk crooked cop that is talkin' cash crap about putting his crooked punk hand on me or my property cause he has a little badge and a big ol' gun and thinks he cain't be got goode fashin needs to look up how many unsolved cop murders there were last year.. ahahahaha!
. Just cause you too stoopid to attempt a fix of this magnitude does'nt mean everyone is a DUMB CROOk COP like you..
I'm haveing an adventure trying this . Win lose or draw I'm learning stuff..
 FOK YOU!.

uh thanks for lettin me share! ahahaha!
Next is an INLINE VOLT METER and a FLAY! a FLAY YOU SAY? ?YAY! a FLAY! FLAY!
that flay seems daunting as the stator. I hope I can make it hoppen.. I ain't good with technical stuff like that. It seems very complicated to me.
Has anyone made a FLAY and if so what is the prognosis?
the inline voltmeter is veddy cool too. ?tomorrow will ?tell the tale.
clickety whirr dang!
cause this is a

scootertramp

OY! I got it installed in the cover.
I went to check it and it's TESTING BAD. DOUBLE DANG DANG!
JEhosaphat!
I got .058 on all three wires coming off the stator.
the testing sheet from electrex says if it showes any number between 0 and 100 it's bad.  
what did I do wrong? I mean besides NOT getting a new part.. Jeesh!
I was all hoppy and chompin' at the bit to go riding and NOW OY!
I let the wores touch cause they were gonna touch anyway.
what do you suppose I did to mess it up?
any  thoughtful suggestions at this point would be appreciated..                    
cause this is a