News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

starter brushes

Started by mts47, February 18, 2005, 12:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mts47

If my starter brushes are 3/8 of an inch long is there any life left in them? I had an oil leak, which is now cleaned up and would like to avoid chasing new brushes. Thanks all.   Mark

h2olawyer

According to the Haynes manual:

Brush Length:
Standard  13/32 in = 0.400 in = 10 mm
Service Limit  3/16 in = 0.180 in = 4.5 mm

It looks like you still have some life left in those brushes.  How's your commutator look?

Commutator diameter:
Standard  1.100 in = 28 mm
Service Limit  1.060 in = 27 mm
Mica undercut depth  0.060 in = 1.6 mm

hope this helps
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mts47

commutator looks good and measures good, needed some clean up from oil crud. thanks for the help, Mark

QBS

Take your brushes and brush plate to an experianced local  alternator/starter rebuilder/repairer and see if they can't rebuild your plate.  All it takes are semigeneric brushes that can be easily ground to your length and width and then soldered to your plate.  Have them turn your armature while you're there.  I've had this done twice over the last 84k miles.  The first time it cost $25.00 and took about 30 minutes while I waited.  The second time it cost $15.00 and took 20 minutes.  Some Vnaries get really concerned about the cost and availability of this particular part.  It's no big deal.  Cheers.

h2olawyer

Since there's only about 1/32" worn off the brushes, you can wait to do the brushes.  However, QBS is correct in telling you where to take the plate when the time comes.  

Amazingly enough, replacing the plate from Yamaha is not that expensive - especially considering the normal high price for original parts.  The brush plate assembly runs a little over $45US - last time I checked.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mts47

I got starter brushes at the local generater shop and filed them to fit. They work great and cost $5. Thanks all for your help.  Mark

h2olawyer

Can't beat that deal!  Glad you got it worked out.

H2O