Thank You "Lester theVision Gremlin"!

Started by YellowJacket!, August 29, 2006, 07:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I just wanted to send out a big Thank You to Lester The Vision Gremlin and let everyone know the Vision Gremlins are not all that bad. (Just don't add water)

When I got home from work today there was a sign propped up on my leaking tank that was sitting on a saw horse in my garage.  It was left by a "Lester" who claims to be a GOOD Vision Gremlin.

The sign says:  Dear Dave, I am Lester the Vision Gremlin.  Contrary to what you may have heard, we are not all bad.
While you were out, I sanded down the right side of your tank (8 holes total and some very thin metal) WELDED, primed and painted.
We then epoxied over the welds and seams for insurance.
The primer underneath and the yellow on the lower right are wet!  Don't touch until tomorrow.  Don't ask your friends & family who I am, they dont know!
--Lester

So, to  Lester a very big THANK YOU and acknowlegement that there ARE good Vision Gremlins.   After a particularly bad day at the hospital (work), you really made me smile!  ;D

Thank You,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vavision

That's awesome.

I got stuck with Lester's cousin Vinnie that runs a racquet and charges $240 to fix my tank with primer only!  :D

It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

zore

Looks like Sven, the black sheep of the family, flew in from europe to do a little electrical work on mine.  Unfortunatly, he didn't stay at a holiday express.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

haunter

Quote from: zore on August 30, 2006, 08:31:23 AM
Looks like Sven, the black sheep of the family, flew in from europe to do a little electrical work on mine.  Unfortunatly, he didn't stay at a holiday express.

I think edgar the inbred half cousin from alabama came and played with my steering head bearings
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

MotorPlow

It's always nice to have a family union, even if it is the Gramlin Family. Eugene Gremlin from "Parts Unknown" has been playing with my lower cases and has created an oil leak. However he has created it in such a way that it appears to be coming from ... The lower left case bolts, the oil pressure switch, or the shift shaft seal (which has already been replaced). Baby powder is in the near future as this leak has gotten progressively worse in just a week.

Brian Moffet

AUGH!!  SOME GREMLIN TOOK MY BIKE APART!

brian (wish they would hurry and put it back together)

Lucky

Motorplow (and others with "new" oil leaks)
since i switched to Castrol Syntec (synthetic blend) my cases have been weeping like an old widow..

anyone else notice this after switching to a synthetic? i mean everything weeps, from the valve covers on down....

I will say that since moving down here, i've been riding this thing harder than i ever have, and at higher avg speeds (and thus rpms)...

what are the chances that a synthetic or synthetic blend oil is incompatable with Yamabond or for whatever reason our gasketts????

I understand synth oils are 'slipperier", & as i understand it the molicules are smaller, but would that alone cause a formerly dry case to look like it just came out of an oil bath?

or am i grasping at straws?

--Lucky

haunter

Quote from: Lucky on August 30, 2006, 11:17:00 AM
Motorplow (and others with "new" oil leaks)
since i switched to Castrol Syntec (synthetic blend) my cases have been weeping like an old widow..

anyone else notice this after switching to a synthetic? i mean everything weeps, from the valve covers on down....

I will say that since moving down here, i've been riding this thing harder than i ever have, and at higher avg speeds (and thus rpms)...

what are the chances that a synthetic or synthetic blend oil is incompatable with Yamabond or for whatever reason our gasketts????

I understand synth oils are 'slipperier", & as i understand it the molicules are smaller, but would that alone cause a formerly dry case to look like it just came out of an oil bath?

or am i grasping at straws?

--Lucky

Yamabond is just a fancy name for RTV right?

I ran full syn in my car that has RTV all over and didnt have leak issues where it was
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

no, Yamabond (or hondabond) is not RTV, it is a different composition, there is a commercial product that is the same stuff, but i can't remember what it is.. something like titebond1100 or something like that. someone here will know.

Yambond is what our bikes were assembled with, & what the dealers used during repairs (i think it was a warrenty mandated item)

haunter

I would swtich over to black RTV then Lucky, thats what I used when I replaced the stator and pickups.....

h2olawyer

The off-brand stuff that is equivalent to Yamabond 4 is THREEBOND 1104.  That's what I've been using for both my stator replacements & the one re-seal to fix the leak after the first stator replacement.  Works great.  It is much different than RTV of any color.   I'd recommend using Yamabond 4, Hondabond 4 or Threebond 1104 for case cover resealing.  They're all the same stuff.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

haunter

I was always told hondabond is equivalent to black RTV

h2olawyer

Think it depends on the # of Hondabond or Yamabond.  The stuff for case sealing is #4.  None of the ones I listed are like any RTV I've ever seen.  There have been instances of people using RTV to seal the case & having the excess squeeze out, clog the oil pick-up & damage the engine.  Rare but not unheard of.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

haunter

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 30, 2006, 01:32:44 PM
Think it depends on the # of Hondabond or Yamabond.  The stuff for case sealing is #4.  None of the ones I listed are like any RTV I've ever seen.  There have been instances of people using RTV to seal the case & having the excess squeeze out, clog the oil pick-up & damage the engine.  Rare but not unheard of.

H2O

that can happen with any of the paste like crap, it happens in engines as well, you ahve to be sorta careful with those gunky compounds

MotorPlow

Well, I have enjoyed Castrol Synthetic Blend since I have gotten this bike. The last oil change I did, I used Castrol Full Synthetic and didn't like it as much as the SemiSynthetic. So, This oil change, I went back to the SemiSynthetic. Now, I am leaking oil.

As for the ThreeBond1104 that I use... The last time I opened the left case cover, I noticed that a lot of the sealant was no longer there. I don't use a lot of it as it is, but I did notice that what was left was rather scarce. Since then, I have used ThreeBond1104 again with a new gasket and have had no leaks for a long while... Until this last oil change.

I believe that my oil leak is coming from my oil pressure gauge sending unit. So, anyone know how to seal the brass threads on a sending unit that is screwed into an alluminum case? And how about brass threads screwed into a brass nipple?

~MP

haunter

Quote from: MotorPlow on August 30, 2006, 02:31:37 PM
Well, I have enjoyed Castrol Synthetic Blend since I have gotten this bike. The last oil change I did, I used Castrol Full Synthetic and didn't like it as much as the SemiSynthetic. So, This oil change, I went back to the SemiSynthetic. Now, I am leaking oil.

As for the ThreeBond1104 that I use... The last time I opened the left case cover, I noticed that a lot of the sealant was no longer there. I don't use a lot of it as it is, but I did notice that what was left was rather scarce. Since then, I have used ThreeBond1104 again with a new gasket and have had no leaks for a long while... Until this last oil change.

I believe that my oil leak is coming from my oil pressure gauge sending unit. So, anyone know how to seal the brass threads on a sending unit that is screwed into an alluminum case? And how about brass threads screwed into a brass nipple?

~MP

its tape, I just don't remember what kind of tape you use....white, sorta clothy

YellowJacket!

Well,
One of lesters buddies came out of hiding and messed things up!  I went to put the tank back on the bike and when I picked it up I felt something damp.  I loked under the tank and whaddayaknow!  There is 2 spots that gas is "weeping" out of!
I dont get it.  I wonder f it is the gas I used.  I got my last three tanks from a little two pump mom and pop Conoco station.  Could the gas have been "cut" with some water?  All three tanks were premium 93 octane and the bike ran well.  I have not had any leaks since I first repaired the tank last year and now these are popping up like pimples on a teenager.   ???

Oh well,  I got the payment sent out for the "german tank" and hopefully it'll be here soon.

Now I just have to find a good 82 petcock.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

MotorPlow

Quote from: haunter on August 30, 2006, 02:33:42 PM
its tape, I just don't remember what kind of tape you use....white, sorta clothy

I have some of the teflon plumbers tape, is that what you're talking about?

Dave, Your gremlin needs to be spanked!