Anyone Painted Their Motors Black?

Started by YellowJacket!, May 26, 2008, 10:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Has anyone painted their motors black that wants to share a few pictures?  I was looking at a V-Max and liked how the motor looked...saw a Ninja too, but was wondering how it would look on the V.
I think it would add a new dimension to YJ's appearence but I just wanted to see how it looked first.

Any pics?  Any recomendations for going about it?  Paint type?

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

yup, mine's black...

I just got the title to my 1992 xz5  :-\ the other day so I don't have any miles

and I'm not sure how the paint is going to hold up yet...

but I'll let ya know...  in the mean time take a pic and "paint" it
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

williamruck

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 26, 2008, 10:25:49 PM
Has anyone painted their motors black that wants to share a few pictures?  I was looking at a V-Max and liked how the motor looked...saw a Ninja too, but was wondering how it would look on the V.
I think it would add a new dimension to YJ's appearence but I just wanted to see how it looked first.

Any pics?  Any recomendations for going about it?  Paint type?

Thanks,

David

I was actually thinking of asking the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions on the type of paint? I was thinking just your generic engine enamel, but I am not sure how that would hold up to the elements.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

I seriously doubt the paint would be more difficult to remove than the factory clearcoat crap!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Mine(formerly H20's is black)

I used BBQ paint and clear coated
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

This is only my opinion, and opinions are like a$$ holes , everybody's  got one.

I absolutely detest black engines or black exhaust systems. It comes from the era I started in, pipes were chrome , engines were polished aluminum.  Even my Yamaha YL2c's GYT kit pipe was chrome!That was the order of the day.Then  chrome drove the price up too far  for most people, so it was largely done away with. Besides if it needed to be repaired , black Hi temp was easer to deal with. Then Kawasaki and Yamaha started painting engines black. The only problem with a home black paint job on an engine, is that tools leave marks and customers complain. Ok I'm just an old curmudgeon , I don't like black pipes and engines , so sue me! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on May 27, 2008, 02:16:51 AM

..... The only problem with a home black paint job on an engine, is that tools leave marks ......

yup.... keep a spare spray bomb and black sharpie handy  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

jasonm.

I painted one of my former XZ's engine PJ1 gloss black engine paint.  BUT I left the valve covers unpainted.2 reasons...you know you'll scratch them when you check clearances and the contrast was quite stunning IMHO. The guy who I sold it to, didn't do much but salivate. Also leaving the thermostat housing natural also looks good.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

YellowJacket!

OK, next questions:  Gloss or flat black? (I'm leaning towards flat black)

Paint the whole thing..engine and transmission or just the cylinders?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

Dave
I would suggest paint it with Flat Black BBQ paint first and see how u like it. 
I went ahead and Clear Coated it but you might just like that flat.

They DO also make an engine clear coat if you dont want to chance it with a regular CLear.  I just used regular.

www.wellsmoto.com

reardeac

i think flat would look good... id leave the valve covers alone.... leave a couple of polished things on their for contrast... or maybe in your case paint them yellow

jasonm.

Problem with some flat blacks....they look grey over time. Flat is easy to touch up. Gloss is a "beauty" thing. DO you want a "beautiful bike"? Or something else?  Also no black engine paint is as good as the factory stuff.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

supervision

If I was going to do that, my choice woud be PJ1, satin finish, to match the yamaha stock frame paint.  Also I like that look, it's stock color of my IT125 engine, even tho the frame is gloss. 
" border="0

Shop Rat

I had a couple of Hondas with black engines, and they do need extra care against scratching.  Having some bright parts does improve the look, as do bright screw heads.  I had a '78 750 Super Sport and I use paint stripper on the valve cover, polished and clearcoated it. That really made it stand out.

On my XZ550, some previous owner did some engine-turning on one side of the jugs and I really like the look of that. I bought some tools to try replicating it on other engine surfaces while I have it out.  I never tried it before, so I'll practice on something cheap.

Anyone have any tips on doing engine turning at home?

Frank

Quote from: kwells on May 27, 2008, 09:10:33 PM
Dave
I would suggest paint it with Flat Black BBQ paint first and see how u like it. 
I went ahead and Clear Coated it but you might just like that flat.

They DO also make an engine clear coat if you dont want to chance it with a regular CLear.  I just used regular.
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F