News:

Main Menu

WHY I DON'T SELL THE V

Started by GAJim, May 27, 2003, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJim

for the last two years I have struggled to get the V on the road (not enough time)  I have often thought of parting the V out and being done.  One time was headed to the boneyard.  she is back to running form now thanks to lucky (carb rebuild) and all the help from posts.  I rode her the other night and I quickly regret ever thinking of selling.  What a bike, people still ask me what it is and cannot beleive the age of it. Recent paint job has helped.  tell me where to send picture to post.  I still have lots of work but now the V is road ready it will wait until next winter.

Lucky

when you are ready to put it up for the winter, run some fuelline de-waterer thru the tank, and then add a bottle of fuel conditioner, run that thru as well.  then drain the carbs as well as possable, and idealy, pull them off, really empty them well and seal them in plastic. this last step of pulling them off isn't super nessacary, but it's good insurance.  if you do, be sure to cover the intakes with plastic & rubber bands to keep stuff from getting in.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

rick_nowak

another winter trick i learned from a dealer in sturgis, sd is to use aviation gas (avgas) in the fall.  when it evaporates, it does not leave a residue, or almost no residue.  they use this on all of their floor bikes and other equipment and swear by this procedure.  you get aviation fuel at your local general aviation airport.  a pilot i talked to today in sturgis tells me that the current price is $2.65 US.  incidentally, they also use it in lawnmowers, weed wackers, etc.  first pull startup in the spring.
enjoy your day