News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

who has a dead engine to check something for me?

Started by Lucky, February 26, 2005, 03:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I need someone with a dead engine to take a look at the oil passage plug circled in red below, to investigate it for me if they can. my bike is currently mothballed for the winter, and this plug can't be pulled untill the cooler is ready to be installed...

I need to know the following:
--exactly how wide is the passage (a micrometer on the outside of the plug will be sufficent)
--is there enough 'meat' around the passage to tap for a fitting. ?by this i mean is there enough for the thickness of threads, or to drill the hole larger if needed.. & by how much? ?I doubt there will be enough material there for the threads on a standard 3/8 fitting which would be 7/16-1/2".
the alternative would be a press-in fitting that would be staked as well, so...
--I need to know how 'deep' the plug is. (measured flat to flat)

Once I have that info I can decide on how to procede for a fitting here.

BTW, to pull that plug, just drill a hole in the plug, insert a nice strong screw, grasp with vice grips, and smack the grips with a hammer to pull the plug.

to get to the plug better you'll have to pull the starter. ?understand now why i need osomeone with a dead engine?

hope someone can help with this!!
Thanks, --Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Darn! I pulled the wrong plug!

I have a dead engine, and while the kids were playing Seal Hunting in the snow, I took a look at it. Pulled the plug... that's right next to the coolant drain plug.  ::) Oh well. I'll take a second look later today, I'll try to get the right one this time!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

You pulled the one to the left of the circled one in the pic. that's where i originally considered taping the oil, but it has to go past the pressure valve first, and it's too restrictive.

i've been thinking about it, and i'm thinking a pressed steel barb might be my best bet, but i'll wait untill i hear from you.

Really appreciate this too, and if you want to email me your ph #, i'll call you if you think it makes things easier to describe.

Mucho Gracias, --Lucky

louthepou

Hi Lucky,

Well, I got the right one this time. I'm having trouble with my digital cam uploading, I'll see if I can fix it and e-mail you some pics and comments. If I can't make any sense, then the phone call sounds like a good plan...

More news tonight,

Louis

louthepou

Hi Lucky, I sent you some pics at luckyvision. Let me know if it worked. I would have liked to post one of them on the forum for all Visionaries to enjoy, but I don't have a website to post them on to, I'll leave that to you then. Cheers!

Louis

Lucky

i'm looking at them now, i'll post all the pics on my website when the project is operational.
Thanks, --Lucky