Round Headlight.

Started by [jh], April 09, 2010, 02:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

After reading the previous posts on here about round headlight I have one question, what exactly is a R350? I have searched every way possible but all I keep getting is Mercedes info.
wow!

Raj1988

I believe it is meant to be RZ350.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

[jh]

Ahh you are correct my friend, thank you. Is there any other changes I might have to make in order to do a successful swap? Ie: strain on the electrical system, don't want to fry me stator or R/R.
wow!

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Ron_McCoy

RD 350, Yamaha made them from 1973 to 1975. Great bike with much tuning potential. You would have a very difficult time getting all the Vision wiring in that little headlight shell. Also you would need some kind of halogen bulb conversion. RDs were seriously underpowered in the headlight department.

funkamongus

some folks tuck wiring in a handlebar tool bag...Doesnt look out of place....
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

[jh]

It looks like the RZ350 is the one Lucky used, and it looks like it would work out pretty nice. Does anyone know if there are any complications with voltage requirements that might destroy my stator or R/R?
wow!

Lucky

I used a 7" round headlight bucket from an R350. it mounted up 100% stock, even the 'keyway' that fits into the headlight brace lined up.  it's just like the stock bucket except the opening for the headlight is round.  there is plenty of room for the wires.

The cafe fairing is a cheepie Emgo Viper fairing.  i fabed simple mounts up for it.  it nearly fits perfectly except the opening in the fairing is maybe 3/8 too small, but it's harldy noticable at all.

there is a write up of the install here: http://xz550.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!BFF952B9E3BDE7B6!198.entry about half way down

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

well the auction was for an R350 bucket, but it could have been from an RD350.. i don't know the bikes that well.. Night Vision spotted it & he might know...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I'm pretty sure Lucky's light was from an Ebay auction that listed it as an RZ350..

he was... well,  lucky to get the assembly for a good price.  all there is on eBay now are mostly just the buckets and not the lense and ring...

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.aspx?ls=sport&c=4,169125,170077&i=65753,2

Ron, Yamaha made the RD350LC up to 1985 (think Kenny Roberts yellow and black edition) so a RD350LC bucket is probably the same as the RZ350   
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

[jh]

There WAS a nice RZ350 on there, but it's on it's way to my place now ;D ;D Yipeee Something I have wanted to do for a while now, it really is a handsome upgrade for the Vision.
wow!

[jh]

Just to reiterate what Lucky has said about the RZ350 headlight, it fits almost right on to the Vision, I had to muck around with the horn and squeeze the wiring in a bit, but for the most part she fits nice. ;D ;D ;D ;D
wow!

Rikugun

jh  regarding the "voltage" requirements, I don't know for sure but I'd guess they may both (Rz and Vision) be around 55/60 watts for low/high beam. so probably no problem.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan