Riding Boots

Started by crackerkorean, December 08, 2005, 08:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I have an oppertunity to but some ridings boots that were barely worn. My only reservations about this is that thye are more race boots than touring boots.

Would those be suitable for riding and how much of a dolt would I look like wearing them with jeans? (I know jeans dont protect but riding pants are expensive.)

they are kind of like this

They have adjustable vents and all.

What do you think? Over kill?

Blake

they definately protect better than normal riding boots (cruiser style) with the added armor..

if you got a deal on them i say go ahead!..  Becides.. if you pull your pants down over the tops of them people will barely notice except for your new facy shoes!

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Riche

Do like Blake says. You will just look like a teen or twenty something.

Oh wait you probably are   :-[

So there you have it first hand. The old people will not know the difference.
When you get old all you care about is how comfortable and warm youir boots are.

crackerkorean

QuoteOh wait you probably are   Embarrassed

Yep I is.

I will probably take a look at them this weekend. The guy only wore them twice along with a set if leathers that hes selling. I really dont see the need for leathers for commuiting and dont have the extra 200 that hes asking.

If they fit I will be going for the boots.

Thanks you guys are a great help as usual

Blake

Quote from: Riche on December 08, 2005, 11:42:55 AM
Do like Blake says. You will just look like a teen or twenty something.

Oh wait you probably are   :-[

Hey!  I resemble that comment! ;D

One note.. my favorite pair of riding boots i ever bought were from redwing shoes.  Nice all black, thick leather..  arond 150 and the best thing is they'll go a mile and a half to make sure that shoe fits you PERFECTLY (guy shimmed the rear of my shoe to bring my foot more forward..things like that).  boot fits perfectly under the vision and v-star shifters..and best of all..black matches everything! :)  with a little water proofing goop on it and it sure is lasting a long time!

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Mutt

Cracker, found the riding suit that goes with those boots. 5 to choose from but only one blue.

If I had the money I'd buy a pair of armour boots too. If you want you probably could paint the blue parts black.

Mutt

"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

crackerkorean

Quote from: Mutt on December 08, 2005, 01:21:35 PM
Cracker, found the riding suit that goes with those boots. 5 to choose from but only one blue.

If I had the money I'd buy a pair of armour boots too. If you want you probably could paint the blue parts black.

Mutt

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

But that blue helmet looks like it would restrict vision.

With getting the suit do I get the ability to fly fake monsters on strings and learn badly cheorgraphed pseudo karate (ok I know it might be more like jeet kun do or something like that but I am using karate as a genericd term).

So who wants to buy the mathcing suits??  ;D

ps2/bikevision

i was told when i started riding to

DRESS FOR THE CRASH NOT THE RIDE

in that note i still wear my combat boots from my days in the army. best boots i ever had. solid black leather. a little kiwi once in a while and they still look new. (no i dont spit shine them any more, shinny boots and blue jeans dont match.)

the most important thing in boots is ankle protection. anything with good protection is good for riding.

glennw

Those boots look pretty nice to me.... you should see my dirt bikes boots!!... If want protection buy them... if you want fashion.. you are riding the wrong V twin... ;)
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Night Vision

Quote from: crackerkorean on December 08, 2005, 08:08:16 AM
(I know jeans dont protect but riding pants are expensive.)

good boots are essential safety gear; but road rash (no personal experience) would suck!

don't know how much you'd spend on the boots and power rangers suit, but let me know if you'd be interested in "BNWT" Fieldsheer pants?that won't fit my fat azz
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

Ps2--- not one thing wrong with riding in issue boots! i prefer the ft lewis boots, or the german style infantry boots, but for long rides, i do have 2 new pairs of tanker boots,, and they look darn good poking out of blue jeans,, esp in bright sun, the buckles are all high polish chrome, so they have a bit of bling for the "look"? ?but they are strong,sturdy reliable footwear, and they exceed msf basics for riding boots.
?
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Kevin

those are good boots, if you happen to go down you will be glad you have  them. ALL OF THE GEAR ALL OF THE TIME.. I'm still recovering from flying over the roof of a car. I'll swear by my KBC helmet. If I remember right the green ranger was my boys favorite. Kevin C.

louthepou

Mutt, that was wayyy too funny. Thanks.

I ride with construction boots, but my wife made me promise I'd buy another pair (possibly official riding boots) for next spring. She told me that would be my birthday present last may.

May be I missed something, but I fail to see how this can be a birthday present  ???

Anyways, some five or six years I had one good contact between my foot and a Honda Civic rear bumper, the foot stayed attached to my leg but the bumber was removed from the Civic  :)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

hfarley

LOL! Don't worry you aren't the only one riding in military issue boots. I do too. I am looking for a better pair of boots though because I find I slide alot with the type of soles that are on my boots. I might just go and have them resoled instead. They are very comfortable though since I had 9 years to break them in. LOL! (not to mention the old trick of wearing them in the shower.) I had enough of kiwi though I let them get all scruffy loking. LOL!  ;)

As far as the Power rangers suits are concerned I would rather be a wonder twin. They get cool rings and can turn themselves into cool stuff. But that is just my opinion.  :P
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

I rode in military issue boots for a long time.  Finally got a different pair last year.  Same general style but with a buckle strap across the instep & zipper on the side so I don't have to lace / tie them every time I wear them.  Made by Double H.  On fantastic sale at Sierra Trading Post.  Less than half price (about $60)

The problem with this style of boot is that your feet get wet quickly when riding in rain or through puddles.  Had first heavy rain ride in years last June (also snow, sleet & hail in same trip).  My feet were wet within the first 5 minutes of riding in that stuff.  The water comes in through the front of the boot - laces & tongue.  Glad I was wearing wool boot socks so my feet didn't freeze.  Next pair - probably this spring - will be gore-tex lined touring boots.

I wish there was a place around here to try on motorcycle boots.  None of the dealers carry any of the brands or models I'm interested in.  They really don't carry many boots at all.  Each dealer seems to carry limited sizes of one model in one brand but will order others.  Also, all the boots I've found on the 'net are normal width & as such way too narrow for me.  May have to get some rain booties to put over the boots for inclement weather rides if I can't find any wide enough

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Quote from: louthepou on December 14, 2005, 12:40:20 PM
Anyways, some five or six years I had one good contact between my foot and a Honda Civic rear bumper, the foot stayed attached to my leg but the bumber was removed from the Civic :)

Lou

that's not hard to do..i once stood on a toyota bumper (i was much younger & considerably lighter) & it FELL OFF!!!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

If you've got a deal on them go for it, but realistically you're going to be much better off if you get some kind of riding pants.  When you go down the part of you that's most likely to touch down first is your legs, and there's a good posibility of them being pressed down by the weight of the bike as well.  You can get a pair of Firstgear overpants or Frank Thomas textile pants for reasonably cheap.  I got rashed through a pair of the FT textiles, but it certainly saved me from a lot of hurt over denim.  If you need something that looks "normal" get a pair of Dragin Jeans, which are also reasonably priced.  After I went down my first time I promised myself to never go sport riding without leathers, and I was lucky enough to find a two piece suit on clearance for only 300 bucks, and that's been worth every penny.

For boots I still wear the steel toe work boots I bought for my MSF course, and those have done great by me.  I want to get a pair of power ranger boots, but there are a couple other pieces I want first.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

MotorPlow

Tiger

I paid $135.00 (CDN) for a similar pair of new sport boots,all black,real comfy and fit under your jeans,pants,etc.Like all gear,the armour may save a shin,ankle,etc.ALWAYS play safe.TigerJohn.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!