News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Look what I just made

Started by xswheels, February 25, 2010, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xswheels

They are vacuum caps. The store bought vacuum caps only last one season and crack badly, so i made my own out of fuel line and cut down golf tees. The cable ties were only meant to help clamp the SealAll adhesive, but I'm going to keep them on, adds a little colour.

Lucky

What are you caping? the YICS or the (one) extra vacuume port on the intake?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

xswheels

fret not

Serious question: does the YICS system actually work?  Does it make a difference in fuel economy,  or horse power?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

Quote from: fret nut on February 26, 2010, 02:00:49 AM
Serious question: does the YICS system actually work?  Does it make a difference in fuel economy,  or horse power?

:) How to stir up a debate!!! LOL

I run ALL my rebuilds without a "YIKE'S"...read yics... unit. It is prone to leaking and IMHO doesn't make a significant difference to the Visions overall performance. However, others here will disagree... :o  ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

...And Counterpoint.

The YICS makes a noticable difference in starting & throttle response.

On a side note, I claim to have the words FASTEST Vision (until John finishes his). (no you can't see dyno & 1/4 mile test results, take my word for it)  I'm sending Tiger a big box for all his leftover YICS's.  I'm going to put them all on Cafe Vision so i don't have to worry about Johns either, lol.

seriously, yep, i believe they make a noticable difference.

--Lucky

Brian_Matthewson

I think the best criticism of the YICS comes from Yamaha...they stopped putting it on their bikes after a few years. If it was reliable and a good performance booster, would they have done that?
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Brian_Matthewson on February 26, 2010, 08:29:13 AM
If it was reliable and a good performance booster, would they have done that?

Yes, if they found a better way that was cheaper.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on February 26, 2010, 06:11:14 AM
...And Counterpoint.

The YICS makes a noticable difference in starting & throttle response.

On a side note, I claim to have the words FASTEST Vision (until John finishes his). (no you can't see dyno & 1/4 mile test results, take my word for it)  I'm sending Tiger a big box for all his leftover YICS's.  I'm going to put them all on Cafe Vision so i don't have to worry about Johns either, lol.

seriously, yep, i believe they make a noticable difference.

--Lucky

Mine would be the second fastest if you would just tune my carbs the same as yours.  8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Anyone know what a balance tube would do?
I dont see a down side, only thing that would happen is already mixed fuel would bounce back and forth between the cylinders. That and im not sure what the vacuum would be like, i dont know if cylinder 1 would just suck fuel back out of cylinder 2's open valve.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

i tried it for maybe a month, i had a really hard time setting the pilots & it was hard to start.
then i tried it with a bearing centered between the ports, it was better, but by the seat of the pants test the YICS felt better. noticably, your experiences may vary..  :)

Quote from: inanecathode on March 02, 2010, 10:13:26 AM
Anyone know what a balance tube would do?
I dont see a down side, only thing that would happen is already mixed fuel would bounce back and forth between the cylinders. That and im not sure what the vacuum would be like, i dont know if cylinder 1 would just suck fuel back out of cylinder 2's open valve.

Blake

Quote from: Lucky on February 26, 2010, 06:11:14 AM

Give me a couple weeks to finish the wiring on mine.  I'll give you a run for your money  ;D  Getting the spring-itch to actually get the bike started.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

Blake, freaky that you posted today!

I nearly stopped in to see you last Friday, I had to drive up to Roanoke for a couple of days for Stihl silver school at the Vally View Holiday Inn. I mentioned to my wife on the way home, as we passed the exits for VT & Blacksburg who you were, & that I hadn't seen you on the forum in a while.  We considered pulling off & sending you an email (i might even have a phone # for you,) but we were under a time crunch...

Blake

Quote from: Lucky on March 09, 2010, 08:16:24 AM
Blake, freaky that you posted today!

I nearly stopped in to see you last Friday, I had to drive up to Roanoke for a couple of days for Stihl silver school at the Vally View Holiday Inn. I mentioned to my wife on the way home, as we passed the exits for VT & Blacksburg who you were, & that I hadn't seen you on the forum in a while.  We considered pulling off & sending you an email (i might even have a phone # for you,) but we were under a time crunch...

I'm actually up by DC now, at least for a few more months.  I pop in here every now and then, mainly just read whats new.  I've been busy the past many months trying to finish a build on my Cadillac for a Pinks race in June, so the vision has been put on the back burner.  The warm weather this past weekend just motivated me a bit to finally finish up the bike. 

Sorry for the thread jack. 
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."