News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Shark Fairing: How do you mount it?

Started by YellowJacket!, May 24, 2006, 08:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Ok, Im well under way prepping the Shark Fairing for painting and I wanted to do a mock up before I paint it to see how it looks but I am clueless as to how to mount it.  I have what I believe are all the brackets for it.
I know I have to remove the turn singnals and they fit on the bracket.  Do I have to remove and move the headlight too?

Anyone have any pics or drawings?

Thanks for the help.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

The shark fairing has three mounting points and three "brackets/mounts".

There is a bracket/mount that bolts to the edit- lower triple tree and replaces the horn cover. That bracket/mount has ears on the ends that the turn signals attach to. It has two places for screws in the front that the front of the fairing mounts to. Without a fairing, I call that the "tow bar"

The other two brackets/mounts basically go straight up off headlight ears where the turn signals "used" to be. There are two screws in the windshield that should be longer and go through those two mounts

The bitch  >:( is that the OEM screws and nuts were made out of either plastic or nylon and are very brittle and break or have been replaced. If you have to get substitute screws/bolts for the upper mounts that go through the windshield, good luck.... seems that the plastic or nylon didn't mind going through the upper mount threads... but trying to get a standard metric bolt or screw through there now is like.... ummm.... really really hard.

BTW, make sure you use rubber washers on all the mounting points or your lemon will peel  ;)

I really do like the color... between you, Tiger, Zore, SuperFly/Blake... how many colors were in a roll of lifesavers????? oooh, oooh - lemon, orange, cherry, grape, who's got a  pineapple bike? Step up newbies!!!

count me out... I'm licorice flavor  8)  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D (the bike that is)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

haunter

blueberry of sorts here, a darkish navy metallic

doesnt DaveTN have a bright yellow bike?
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: haunter on May 24, 2006, 09:50:32 PM
blueberry of sorts here, a darkish navy metallic

doesnt DaveTN have a bright yellow bike?

Yup,

Shes YellowJacket

Thanks for the reply nightvision.  I appreciate the help.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

X-Vision

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures do you Night Vision? Ron McCoy and I (Sal) are trying to get an idea on how to fab them like the stock brackets. I'm the one that bought the shark fairing on ebay but it didn't come with the mounting hardware. It also doesn't have the seal between the headlight and the fairing. Can you help me?

Night Vision

boy, I just saw that seal on eBay... some of that foam water pipe insulation might work in a pinch. they make some that sort of feels like neoprene (sp?)
I used that kind on an A/C copper line

pics and measurements of the brackets I can do.... maybe some drawings/tracings

just give me some time because of the holiday....
;D

X-Vision

YES! Whenever you get a chance will be fine.   

h2olawyer

The seal on eBay is for the full (83 style) fairing.  The one for the shark installs between the plastic headkight bucket & chrome rim.  Then, the part of the fairing that surrounds the headlight slides into the seal.

I can get photos of the mounts (as installed) on Wednesday.  I'll look into my photo archives & see if I still have the photos of them I took a while ago.  Can also get measurements if required.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

X-Vision

That would be tremendous help THANKS!!!

h2olawyer

E-Mailing you several photos to show the mounts & how they attach.  Will get measurements & make drawings as time permits Wednesday - Sunday.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

no sense duplicating efforts... I'll assume H2O is on it... contact me if I can assist
;D

supervision

Hey  Sal, I have noticed that bracket interfers with  using a proper tool when tighting the pinch bolt, the only thing that fits is an open-end wrench... not too ideal      maybe the easyist fix an allen bolt.
" border="0

h2olawyer

Good point about the pinch bolt interference.  I always just got it as tight as I could with the open end wrench.  Probably over-torqued it, though.  You can get a 'crows foot' style wrench & use that on a torque wrench.  I've seen charts on how to figure out how much that tool changes the torque specs & the correction you'd need.  It isn't a great difference - maybe a few inch pounds, depending on your torque wrench length.

Never thought about using the allen bolt idea.  Sure would make things easier.

H2O

reardeac

as far as the seal goes, how about the foam that is used in concrete expansion joints, it is flexible and will bend with ease.

Lucky

that's more of a 'felt' (what we sell at Ace anyway) & might tend to absorb water...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

lol,,,, why not just use black rubber weatherstriping meant for sliding glass doors? it fits, works well, keeps the water out ,and if nothing else, the 8 ft section can be used for more than one seal!
as far as type of wrench to mount a shark nose -- when i had mine, i used a line wrench, designed for use on pipe fittings , brake lines and such-- did the trick -- way better than open end wrench, easier to fit in than a socket .

still like my vetter more than the shark,, must be the rare factor,, lol .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

X-Vision

How about showing this newbie what vetter fairing looks like. As far as the tools required they will be fabricated as we go to make thing more enjoyable.

X-Vision

I for got to thank you H2O for the pictures. They are PERFECT! Just what was needed.

Dibble

I just found this thread while searching for PICS of how to install the Shark faring. I have the lower bracket but not the two side brackets. If someone could send me the PICS and/or sketches mentioned above, that would be great. I am also missing the clear cover over the headlight, any ideas?? or do I even need it??

h2olawyer

The clear cover for the headlight is available from Gustafsson Plastics (www.bikescreen.com).  Search for the Yamaha Seca fairings & there's one that retails for $29.95 or something like that.  That's the correct cover.

I'll try to find the upper bracket photos - or even the brackets themselves & post them & the measurements.  No guarantee on when I'll get that done, though.  Hopefully in the next few days.

H2O