News:

Main Menu

carbs. reinstall??

Started by xdaboatmanx, May 01, 2007, 12:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdaboatmanx

Hello again...

I have read almost all the site post you guys have posted since you  joined
up. AND YOU GUYS KNOW IT ALL  ;D     I have fixed, made mods, adjusted,
wired/rewired, replaced, and dekrusted everything.
     My ? is ((the boots) thats on the bottom of the carb) Are they just rubber that mounts to the motor or a small flange with rubber on it?    Is there a gasket?   I do not have those parts and dont know what they look like.   Could someone post a pic of them or tell me where to look?    just so I can get an idea of what I need to do.  ??? 
   Air boxes...  Could a set of cone filters be used without the box or would that be too much air?   the air intake opening looks really small to me, well weird with a little flap in it  :)

Boat

h2olawyer

I haven't had the carb boots off, so I can't be positive but I'm fairly sure there's a flange at the base & they do require a gasket between the boot & the head.

The air box is a critical part of the ait control system.  The little opening with the flapper door increases the air velocity through the carbs.  Trying to do some open cone filters would need an exhaust gas analyzer and rejetting.  When cleaned & properly adjusted / synchronized, the stock setup works very well.  You can use a UNI-Filter if you want, but that's about the only thing I'd do on the airbox side of the carbs.

Try the Yamaha parts lookup for a diagram of the carb boots:

www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Enter motorcycle, year & model where asked.  I believe the boots are shown on the airbox diagram.  Might be in carburetors - can't remember.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Here's a pic of a set. They do require gaskets...you can access that in the 'Air Filter' section of the above link.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Heres another source of parts that uses an interface like Yamahas parts fiche.

http://www.powerpartsplus.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/yamaha.aspx

I checked and they have the carb boots and the gaskets in stock.  The boots are a bit pricey at $53.00 each but if yours are trashed beyond repair, it'll be worth it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

xdaboatmanx

Thanks for the info.  I dont have those at all.  Guess that I gotta go hunting.  If I find any other parts bikes Ill let you guys know :)