New UK Owner Dropped Valves Within First 43 miles

Started by Slamfire, September 22, 2002, 12:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamfire

Ok I picked up one of these for ?450 off ebay last friday as soon as I ran here up to 60 mph performance went to hell ... engine started sounding like a metal foundry ... hit the kill switch and pulled off the motorway to inspect the damage.

It stills turns over and can even run just but the noise it makes is horroble and definately not healthy. Sounds to me like a dropped valve but I'm no expert.

Anyway I have tracked down somewho whos selling 2 complete visions an 82 and 83 and basically was wanting an opion.

Would it be cheaper to strip the front cyclinder down myself and repair it with yammy parts which I'm told are quite expensive and then try and find the cause of why it went in the first place?

... or just buy a doner bike and sling a newish running engine in?

Keep in mind that I dont have a full workshop and would be doing this in the garden (No doubt with allot of swearing and cursing)

Basically if anyones dropped an engine out of one these things I just want to know how complicated is it ... it's mainly the shaft drive i'm worried only having worked on chain drives b4.

But too end this post ... even though I only done 43 miles ... they were a dam good 43 miles hehe and I intend too do my best this wee beasty back too life.

Slam

Rick G

Hi Slam, the shaft is no big deal, I would recommend that you use a automobile jack ( one with wheels  , not the type that  comes in the boot, but one that is a smaller version of the garage type) They are available here for under 20.00 dollars . Perhaps they are in the UK also, or maybe a friend can loan you one. In any event it will simplify lowering the old engine and lifting the new one into place. The shaft is no problem, as it is a spline, it will let fo as you lower the old engine , but you will have to guide it when you install the new one.  By the way , get a Haynes manual  it will make your life much easier!  Its not a bad thing to have some spares, even if you have to store them under a tarp in the garden, baring that , disassemble the spare bikes and pack the parst you want to save in an old trunk or suitcases  even it you have to store them under the bed! If your going to ride it for a while its very useful to have lots of paid for spares on hand. I have 5 Visions , One I ride ,one is a spare and three are dissasembled for parts.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Slamfire

Cool thanks for the tips ... I do have access to a proper car jack. As I will be doing this on my own it would of been impossible too move that big V lump otherwise. I have managed to get a haynes manual off eBay UK for ?8.00. They must of known hehe ... It was put up for sale there on the hour the valves dropped! ... and is the only one I have seen for sale on there for a while.

After the stupid prices I have been quoted for a secondhand set of valves, pistons etc from breakers in the UK I will definately be buying one of these spare bikes as a doner. The doner even has a new predator exhaust system and some resonable tyres I can nick. I actually found the guy whos selling them through this forum on a post that was about a month old.

So yes many thanks for running such an excellant forum :)

Oh one last thing ... Mines an 82 but has twin disc brakes. Does this mean that it has a front end off an 83 or that the euro model was different from the american?

Rick_Laffer

Mine too is an '82 with twin discs (Australian model), don't know the story, but decided not to argue!
I bought my Vision in bits after previous owner had assembled it then almost instantly a valve had dropped and he didn't want to do it all again!!!
Anyway, please don't run it again until dealt with. I'm having difficulty seeing that if a valve has indeed dropped that the engine can turn over (let alone fire) asthere really isn't a lot of clearance volume there. The head on mine that had dropped it when I got it was a complete unsalvagable mess, but luckily it came with 3/4 of a spare dismantled engine and I got another wrecked one at a wreckers and therefore have had many great times on the road.
Blew a big end earlier in the year (rear one, guys, surprise surprise) but just got motivated and have set a date early November to be on the road again.
Welcome to the club.....we've all been through a LOT together  ;D

Slamfire

Lol ... yeah I ran it for a few seconds before hitting the kill switch again and I dont intend to do it again untill I know whats wrong. I was surprised it turned over too and I'm not a hundred percent sure it is a dropped valve this is just the best guess. Currently I'm waiting for the haynes manual too turn up B4 I attack it with a spanner and find out the truth.

You never know it may be something allot less horrible but I tend to expect the worse with bikes and pray that I may be pleasantly surprised.

jasonm.

It is possible the seller took the right engine cover off to do the water pump seal or clutch. And did not replace the main oil gallery seal that is there also. This seal is often damaged during these repairs. Sounds like a loss of oil pressure due to the above.  Get another engine...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules