News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Y-Tube Crush seals

Started by skaalster, February 18, 2010, 08:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaalster

Hi all..I have read most if not all exhaust related topics and just want to confirm something before i put my exhaust back on for the umteenth time!? :)  I was having no luck replacing parts and pieces on the Y-Tube assembly joints for an obvious leak there, so I have bought new OEM Copper rings, Clamps and new bolts for the clamps. Just one question? are the crushable copper rings loose on the y-Tube before you snug them down ( I tried aftermarket rings that were a snugger fit before tightening down, but alas did not work/seal properly and the y-Tube would just fall out after tightening the clamps as far as I could))....For the new parts, it seems like a lot to crush as the OEM rings seem to be quite solid. and fit quite loose on the pipe? I take it the heat will/should help make these mallable over time and I should be able to snug them down more as I ride. Maybe the old clamps were just worn out? Can anyone confirm this? This job is a royal PITA and I don''t want to do it more than once more:) PS The backing rings on both sides seem perfect and free from any deformation or exhaust leak signs.
Thanks in advance -Dan

Tiger

:) This is a job that I had to do the other night and its a real P.I.T.A!!!

Once you have the "Y" pipe in place, enter the exhaust on to the "Y" pipe and then put a jack under it until you get everything in place and all tightened up. I then start the "V" up, let her idle for 20 seconds and then shut her off...leave overnight to cure...VOILA!!!

I use a smear of RED RTV silicone on the exhaust gaskets and all the joints...it helps hold everything in place and helps with sealing the system.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

this post confused me. the solid copper rings are not crushable, unless you are talking about the gaskets at the head. those are crushable,  as long as you dig the old ones out...

would a parts diorama help identify which areas you are having troulble with?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

skaalster

First off my apologies for the bad terminology...I should have said "compressible" instead of crushable. It is item 14 in your diagram...the solid copper rings I received from Yamaha are  quite loose when they are slipped over the y-Tubes...was just wondering is this normal? is RTV an absolute must to get a good seal?...and do they get "compressed when you tighten down on the Clamps? The old clamps were obviously worn out and I am hoping the brand new ones will some how put enough pressure on the rings to form a good seal. The original gaskets I used were much like the ones that connect directly to the head (copper sheathed with some kind of asbestos material)...they compressed ( but not enough) when the clamps were tightened and formed to the chamfer inside the backing plates/washers (item 15).
Hope that is a little clearer :)
Thanks for your help.