Removing the Exhaust -- I stripped a bolt

Started by Kiwi, April 11, 2010, 09:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

I'm replacing the headers at the front of the bike. 
I got the left side ( when sitting on the bike) off without too much trouble, but i stripped the inside bolt on the right side.
The head is pretty much rounded out >:(.
I could get in there and cut the head off, but the screw seems to be seized where it is in the engine.

I thought about heating it up by running the engine for awhile and then having another shot, i can get a little torque on it, but putting the other side back on and taking it off would be a pain ( but i'll do it if i have to ).
I have also all ready used PB blaster with no apparent affect.
And to top it off, the other screw on that header feels like it will soon round out.

Any tips !?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

kiawrench

kiwi,
when i run into little problems like these , i use the blaster, then a star drive bit  along with my impact driver.

seat the star bit using an extension as a tool holder, then switch to the impact driver to pop it free .

remember, when i say seat, i mean hit it solid to seat bit to the bottom of the bolt head - this may also break any bind corrosion is causing ,allowing the bolt to be removed with the least amount of damage.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

QBS

Would a thoughtfully used/applied propane torch help heat the area in question?

Kiwi

It came off ! ;D

$6 impact driver from harbor freight , and some healthy whacks with a hammer.

Thanks for the advice
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox