Dunt, dunt, dunt. Another YICS bites the dust...

Started by Lucky, June 11, 2008, 03:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

My bike been acting sick the last week or so, & i've only had time to look at it today.

Symptoms:
if extra current was used (high beams, turn signals, etc) the idle would drop, bike felt like it was cuting out, & she'd stall.  under acceleration from a stop it'd miss horribly & i'd have to throttle thru it.  running with the choke partially on helped a lot, but i still had to turn the lights off at a stop. engine tempurature made no difference.

so was it ignition or fuel?... hmmmm.

turns out the YICS was blown out. I ride this bike hard every day back & fourth to work, often accelerating to 70+ so i'm not surprised..
I took the one Dave sealed for me off Cafe & all is right with the world again.

Oh Daaaaave! I have a small project for you!!  ;D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

It's truly amazing what things the YICS can screw with.  Glad you found the problem.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on June 11, 2008, 03:35:02 PM

Oh Daaaaave! I have a small project for you!!  ;D

--Lucky

No problem buddy.  Be glad to help you when I get back from my school visit next week.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Amazing what an extra lean condition can bring on. 

Glad you found it, and it was an easy fix.

brian

inanecathode

70mph!?
Damn dude, the speedo stops at 85 :O:O:O
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

h2olawyer

Inane - seems to me you have a 140MPH speedo, too.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Meh, I've never let speedo limits determine mine. :D Governors on the other hand suck boulders...

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

jasonm.

I carry 2 vacuum caps with me at all times. So if the YICS craps out...I can cap it off at the heads. Then fix it later.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

couchflyer

1982 Yamaha Vision ~ 1 Black & 1 Red
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2008 Ducati 1098 ~ Track only
Sola Scriptura

jasonm.

YICS makes a difference in running of the '82 and to a lesser extent the '83s. Find one or send me yours. I can fix it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

zore

Quote from: jasonm. on July 27, 2008, 09:43:55 PM
YICS makes a difference in running of the '82 and to a lesser extent the '83s. Find one or send me yours. I can fix it.

Oddly enough, I noticed no difference.  After fixing it only to have to reseal it again 8 months later, I finally decided i'd had enough.  I blocked the ports and noticed no difference in how it runs.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

The bluish white smoke coming out of your front exhaust pipe as you drove away yesterday was an ominous sign.....

:o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

zore

Well, your road was skeeter free for a while!    ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

don_vanecek

I of course tested my YICS out as part of my preparation for my ride later this week,  I see if I can get it to stick to my tongue, I can create a good vacuum but there isn't quite enough surface area in relation to the weight of the YICS box to get it to hang off my tongue (needless to say my box still works at this time).

sapienwaste

I have to admit guys, my YICS pissed me off so bad I simply plugged it. Tied the intakes together with some nice clamped rubber line.

Last time I'll ever complain about YICS.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

h2olawyer

I hope you didn't hook the YICS connections together without something to plug off the hose.  Each cylinder needs to be plugged separately.

I notice some difference between properly functioning YiCS and not having it installed.  Mine runs a little smoother & feels a little stronger at the low end with it than without.  Just a seat of pants feel thing - nothing actually measured to prove or disprove its utility.

H2O

Lucky

Quote from: YellowJacket! on July 28, 2008, 02:32:17 PM
The bluish white smoke coming out of your front exhaust pipe as you drove away yesterday was an ominous sign.....

:o

David

quick note: bad day today, left work @12, Kenny in ER, home now but hurting.  checked bike when i got home yesterday after talking to you, compression test great, plug carbon fouled (blueish white smoke had to be black...) rear carb is dumping fuel.  more later.

--Lucky

h2olawyer

Hope your & especially Kenny's days go better starting now.  Glad he's home anyway.  At least the compression tested good.

H2O

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900