News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fairing?

Started by inanecathode, March 22, 2007, 07:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

About 2 years ago, I got my full fairing with lowers, all brackets & the oil filler adapter - on eBay - for around half that price.  I know it was a steal = the condition was about the same as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jefferson

I have a full fairing setup that I would like to sell. It should be complete although some fiberglass repair will need to be done to all the pieces to make it really nice. The vents aren't in great shape either. I am not sure about the condition of the mirrors. Pretty sure all parts are there, it will just be a matter of finding them.

Keep them rolling,
Jeff

reckon

Quote from: jlsracing on March 22, 2007, 11:16:15 PM
I have a full fairing setup that I would like to sell. It should be complete although some fiberglass repair will need to be done to all the pieces to make it really nice. The vents aren't in great shape either. I am not sure about the condition of the mirrors. Pretty sure all parts are there, it will just be a matter of finding them.

Keep them rolling,
Jeff

I think the fairings are made from ABS, so it would really need to be thermally welded, as fiberglass resins wont really stick to ABS

I sent you an E-mail, I would like to buy your fairing set  :D
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Coil Coyle

Reckon,
             The RK fairing is fiberglass.
Coil

reckon

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on March 23, 2007, 06:38:25 AM
Reckon,
             The RK fairing is fiberglass.
Coil

thats the best news EVER!

I love fiberglass (unless I'm sanding it in hot weather), it's just so easy to work with: you can glue it, it shapes easily, and there's enough variation in the available resins and cloths, you can fix just about anything fiberglass.

"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

inanecathode

Look what Iiiiiii gooooooooot

Bling!

Sparkle sparkle!

Original functioning heat ducts!

If i'm right in assuming the 1982 vision was the only one with a single front disc caliper, then this fairing came off a 1982 bike with the full fairing option :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

wow visions came with AC?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Great fairing snag!

The air vents are what make the full fairing so cool (or warm) - moveable venting to get either cool (ambient) air or warm air off the engine, keeping you more comfortable in cool weather.  They really work!  "Warm" is more noticeable than the "cool" setting.

The ducts on mine were functioning until I used them about a half dozen times.  Both broke.   ::)  The fix outlined on Lucky's site works great.  Made mine out of some brass stock I had lying around.  Still need to put some better ends on the levers & play with the shape a little so I can easily adjust them while riding, though.  The plastic does get pretty brittle over the years.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

8) Magic... 8) Great find. Can one ask how many $$$ you had to part with to acquire such a gem ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

i gotta say... that's the fastest "newbie faring procurement" I've seen..

good work... can you find me an '83 shock?  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on March 23, 2007, 06:37:09 PM
i gotta say... that's the fastest "newbie faring procurement" I've seen..

good work... can you find me an '83 shock?  :D

Yes it was, and yes I can, if you can tell me how to tell an 83 by sight!

inanecathode

Quote from: Tiger on March 23, 2007, 06:16:37 PM
8) Magic... 8) Great find. Can one ask how many $$$ you had to part with to acquire such a gem ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Yes you can! T'was only a paltry $150

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on March 23, 2007, 06:48:24 PM

...T'was only a paltry $150

8) I take my hat off to you 8) ...or should that be helmet :D That is a great price for a good looking fairing, congratulation's...

Quote from: inanecathode on March 23, 2007, 06:47:48 PM
... can you find me an '83 shock?  :D

...if you can tell me how to tell an 83 by sight!
[/quote]

8)...'82 shock is only adjustable at the bottom. The '83 shock is adjustable both top and bottom...look for a black plastic "Dial" on the top of an '83, numbered 1 to 6 on the dial...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: Tiger on March 23, 2007, 07:04:45 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on March 23, 2007, 06:48:24 PM

...T'was only a paltry $150

8) I take my hat off to you 8) ...or should that be helmet :D That is a great price for a good looking fairing, congratulation's...

Quote from: inanecathode on March 23, 2007, 06:47:48 PM
... can you find me an '83 shock?  :D

...if you can tell me how to tell an 83 by sight!

8)...'82 shock is only adjustable at the bottom. The '83 shock is adjustable both top and bottom...look for a black plastic "Dial" on the top of an '83, numbered 1 to 6 on the dial...

8).......TIGER....... 8)[/quote]

I'll take a look next time i'm down at the yard i got this fairing from.

The only few things i'm missing is both mirrors and boots, the right mirror mounting bracket and misc hardware (plan on replacing all the hardware with socket head screws anyway.

The only other work it needs is a good cleaning, sanding, repair, and repainting. The fairing in a few places is a bit scuffed, and its an incredibly sun faded red at the moment. The windscreen as well has been tanning for 25 some odd years, probably needs a thorough polishing (headlight lenses on my car looked the same until i threw a buffing pad at it and some turtle-paste).

I'm a bit fuzzy on how to install the thing though... if i remember how i took this off the yard bike, i think the whole thing mounts to the mounting bracket that links up to the two frame tubes going under the tank, a wishbone shaped mounting bracket that fits under the top clamp of the forks, and the turn signal stalks hold the sides in...  I think...

Anywho, the priority for the near future is getting the thing running good and stable enough to register and insure, THEN think about mounting up the fairing.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Thought he came up with it but couldn't remember for sure - too lazy to look it up.  Thanks for the clarification, Lucky.  Isn't it linked on your site as well?

H2O

Lucky

yup, under fairing & graphics..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Quote from: inanecathode on March 23, 2007, 10:24:27 PM
I'm a bit fuzzy on how to install the thing though... if i remember how i took this off the yard bike, i think the whole thing mounts to the mounting bracket that links up to the two frame tubes going under the tank, a wishbone shaped mounting bracket that fits under the top clamp of the forks, and the turn signal stalks hold the sides in...  I think...

The fairing bolts on in 6 places, 4 for the upper portion and two for the lower portion.  The upper portion is held on by the turn signal stalks (make sure there hasn't been any damage, it's easy to tweak either the turn signal mounts and have the lower triple clamp hit it.)  The main portion of the upper frame clamps on to the section of the fram that runs along the engine (right side of this frame member is removable). It also bolts on to the W shaped member that goes between the front forks.  I found that you need to remove the instrument cluster to get it in.  The bottom fairing bolts on to little brackets near the bottom of the engine, which are held in place by the large bolts holding the engine on to the frame. 

The wiring harness for the fairing comes from the left side of the bike and arcs around the top of the frame to the right.

Lucky has a fairing supplement which has good pictures for this.  Also the 1983 manual has a fairing mounting section in it as well.

Brian