News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

values of vision

Started by taank, June 01, 2007, 01:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taank

any one know what these bikes are worth?  say and 83 with 15000 miles? in good condition with a few minor leaks

kwells

I think it comes down to things like fairings, exhaust system, tank condition.  Probably $700-2000 for an 83.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay.   ;D

Seriously, 82s not running - $500 or less, depending on cosmetics / overall condition & mileage.  Running - $350 to $1200 again, overall condition.

83s are rarer and as such, the starting price should be higher if all the upgrade parts are there.  Full fairing, fuel gauge & proper tank, dual disc front, better rear shock, air forks, improved carbs, 140 MPH speedo & low rise handlebars are the major things.  Parts bike (83) should be around $400 or less.  Running - $600 or so.  Again, if all parts are in good condition, plan on about $1200 - $1500+.

Depending on the leaks and overall condition, I'd say an otherwise running 83 should go for around $800 - $1000.

Prices assume US dollars.  The value of Visions seem to be on the increase.  As more people find out about this forum and the fixes we've found for all the original bad press, they have fewer disincentives to buy.  Keep an eye on eBay & Craigslist.  Visions come up for sale often enough to get a general feel for their value in various conditions.

Personally, I don't know what it would take to pry my upgraded 82 Vision from my hands.  It would definitely be much more than I've seen any other one sell for to date.  It would probably never happen, but if someone offered a very low mile 93 or 94 GTS1000 or a mid 90s BMW K1000R in trade, I'd be very tempted.  (My V has some serious sentimental value.)  However, when I sell the Pumpkin Project (also an 82) later this year or next Spring, I hope to get around $1000 for it.  It has no major issues & actually runs a little stronger than my Silver 'baby'.

The info above is primarily my own feel for overall values and others may disagree.  I like to think I've kept up with the current values of these bikes.  I'm probably willing to pay a little more for one as I know how much fun they are & I really love the bike in general - especially the 83s.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

unless it's an 82 with all 83 parts, Shoie hard bags, custom seat, oil cooler, luggage rack with backrest, oil pressure, voltage & air temp guages, fork brace, modified t/s, w/ short stalks, moded air forks, cutom badges, extended smoked windshield, upgraded brakes, upgraded headlight & says "Riders Of Vision" on the fairing, & comes complete with friends & the best support system in the WORLD, then it's (to me) it's Priceless!  :D  ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

I would probably take 5000 for mine, but not lower than that.

Brian

Night Vision

I think Brewski was looking for $600-$800 for his 83.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

taank

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 01, 2007, 02:07:12 AM
They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay.   ;D

Seriously, 82s not running - $500 or less, depending on cosmetics / overall condition & mileage.  Running - $350 to $1200 again, overall condition.

83s are rarer and as such, the starting price should be higher if all the upgrade parts are there.  Full fairing, fuel gauge & proper tank, dual disc front, better rear shock, air forks, improved carbs, 140 MPH speedo & low rise handlebars are the major things.  Parts bike (83) should be around $400 or less.  Running - $600 or so.  Again, if all parts are in good condition, plan on about $1200 - $1500+.

Depending on the leaks and overall condition, I'd say an otherwise running 83 should go for around $800 - $1000.

Prices assume US dollars.  The value of Visions seem to be on the increase.  As more people find out about this forum and the fixes we've found for all the original bad press, they have fewer disincentives to buy.  Keep an eye on eBay & Craigslist.  Visions come up for sale often enough to get a general feel for their value in various conditions.

Personally, I don't know what it would take to pry my upgraded 82 Vision from my hands.  It would definitely be much more than I've seen any other one sell for to date.  It would probably never happen, but if someone offered a very low mile 93 or 94 GTS1000 or a mid 90s BMW K1000R in trade, I'd be very tempted.  (My V has some serious sentimental value.)  However, when I sell the Pumpkin Project (also an 82) later this year or next Spring, I hope to get around $1000 for it.  It has no major issues & actually runs a little stronger than my Silver 'baby'.

The info above is primarily my own feel for overall values and others may disagree.  I like to think I've kept up with the current values of these bikes.  I'm probably willing to pay a little more for one as I know how much fun they are & I really love the bike in general - especially the 83s.

H2O

my 83 has all of those upgrades i belive. i think my oil pressure switch is leaking, and my water pump leaks (which i am still unable to get it to stop). also my exhaust has just developed a leak in the tail pipe on one side,

h2olawyer

The "upgrades" were all standard on the 83s.  Since most Visions are 82s, and some 83s have been parted out over the years, we refer to the better 83 parts as upgrades.

Oil pressure switch leak should be easy to fix.  Drain oil, remove switch, apply thread sealand & reinstall.  Fill with oil.

Waterpump could be more difficult.  Is the leak from the coolant tubes or out of the weep hole at the front of the waterpump?  Coolant tube leaks are fairly simple to fix - new "O" rings.  The leak from the weep hole requires replacing the waterpump mechanical seal - along with all other seals in the right engine case cover.  There is a crankshaft seal in that cover which needs to be replaced every time that cover is removed.

Exhaust leak can be fixed - there are several products like "Muffler Weld" that can be used to repair small holes in exhaust systems.  They can also be welded.  If the leak is too bad, you are pretty much relegated to going with an aftermarket (MAC or Predator) system - or possibly having a system custom made.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mdskinner731

hypothetically speaking if i wanted to sell my 1983 yamaha vision with 3326.8 miles on it its in kinda rough shape (been sitting for 23 years ish) runs fine now but if i wanted to sell it (which i am NOT) what do u think i could get for it?
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Kevin

abogado68

What is the going price for a 1982 stock vision with 1500 original miles in better than new condition?

kwells

define better than new.  I think I got a steal on mine with 560 miles 2 yrs ago.  I got it for 1k but I think it was worth 1200-1400 on the open market. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

zore

It is worth eleventy billion dollars too me.  Not a sent less.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

abogado68

I paid $1500 dls for mine.

zore

I got mine free.  but it's still worth eleventy billion.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

abogado68

My bike is like yours, same color it's really beautiful.

zore

She is a sweety.  This pic i took before the emblem started peeling.  This makes me mad.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

abogado68

What a beautiful bike. My don't have the emblems. The original owner told me that when he boufght it brand new there was a small scratch on the tank and he had the dealership take it off and repaint it. They just left the emblems off. It looks real nice. ypur bike is really beautiful.

Brian Moffet

I'd sell mine for 6k or so...

probably.

uh, possibly  ;D

Brian (ultra-rare original exhaust on an original 83, better make that 8k)

h2olawyer

I'm with Brian - basically, my Silver 82 is not for sale.  I might consider offers starting around $10K.  Too much sentimental value to me.

However, I have another 82 and a parts bike.  The second 82 (Tractor, which needs some work again) will be for sale next Spring.  Plan to ask about $1000 for it, including the parts bike.  It will have a freshly lined tank, new paint, rebuilt forks, rebuilt front brakes, braided stainless line, new tires, tapered steering bearings, properly cleaned carbs and any other primary fixes / upgrades that should be part of any Vision project.

H2O