News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

jack russell terrier

Started by don_vanecek, February 03, 2009, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

Well I have again tried to change my avator with no luck-but I did find in the house pictures the little dog. Than dog is very similar to a guest dog at my house at this time, my daughter's long hair "Jack Russell Terrier".  We recently got a mouse in the house, do you think the cats got it, noooo, did the cats constantly look for the mouse, nooo, whooo pursued that mouse to the bitter, that cute little "Jack Russell Terrier!"  Boy was he obsessed with getting that mouse and he did it!!!  I believe that this is a dog the English hunters breed to dig the game out of it's hole after the running dogs trapped it-you go outside and did a hole and he will constantly be going in the hole to dig and sniff also. The dogs name is "Duke", and a noble little dog he is!

Coil Coyle

Don,
Jack Russell terriers are a "Ratting" dog. The breed had it's "gameness" refined in timed competitions in a pit of rats. Wagers were made on how long the dog would take to kill the rats, winners were bred back to parents and grandparents, just like game cocks.

I'm surprised your daughter's will allow a cat in the house, a lot of game must have been breed out in the quest for long hair.

My mom's Jack Russell spent 21 years keeping the cats away from her house. He died barking at them.
The day he died the cats started checking out the yard.

:)
Coil

Brian Moffet

There's a difference between sharing space with a cat (where the dog is familiar with it) and having interlopers come into the territory.  You can see it in cats, dogs, almost any territorial animal when an unknown animal comes into their territory.  I've seen both dogs and cats live happily with another dog or cat, but not tolerate a stranger in their area.

Brian

don_vanecek

I won't be surprized that it has been refined more as a pet dog then it's original intention. There have been cats in it's life since it was a puppy if that makes any difference. But it sure showed it's stuff this last week!

Tiger

:) Jacks are fearless wee dogs with typical Terrier traits....fiesty wee buggers!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on February 03, 2009, 01:25:53 PM

My mom's Jack Russell spent 21 years keeping the cats away from her house. He died barking at them.
The day he died the cats started checking out the yard.

:o wow  :o that's 147 in dog years  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Coil Coyle

Yeah, the Terriers don't have any of those 'Big Dog' skeletal problems.

Luke was a YAMAHA rider, too. He used to ride on the gas tank of the YDS-3 I restored in my bedroom the winter that we got him.

I buried him out at the end of the bush covered fence line he had defended all those years.

"God, Let me be half of the man my Dog thinks I am"

;)
Coil

kiawrench

why is it that jack russells all  make those high pitched whines, yelps and god awful loud yips --- mine does it, ,and it gets even worse if he is walking on a leash. he isn't being hurt, punished or even forced to walk-- he is fine until we walk, then he goes nuts,,, but walks along fine,tail wagging as he wakes every person in ten mile radius as we go down the sidewalk?  unclip the lead ,and he shuts up and just enjoys the walk, not a single sound

he hides his food too,,, not a little, the entire bowl,,,, drags it around until he can hide it under his dog bed ,behind the computer table, or even pushes it under the couch --- none of the others do this , just the jack russell .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

Freckles , my Red heeler , loves to bark at any dog she sees while riding in the truck. I have taken to  scolding her severely ,as I'm pretty tired of it. Now she has reduced it to whines , squeals and whimpers.
We are going to obedience training next week!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

sounds like she has you pretty well trained if she reduced the severe scolding to a mere whimper  ::)

then again, I've never been to obedience school, so I can't say how much it will help you  :D 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano