News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Custom Wiring Harness (Part Identification Needed)

Started by Blake, March 30, 2005, 03:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Well I finally took the plunge.

Last Saturday i went through the connectors in my headlight bucket and poured CLR into all of them and let it soak for a few mintutes, then squirted it all out with water, dried them off(some nice shaking and blowing into them), and then sprayed some wd-40 on the connections.

It worked!  rode the bike around the parking lot.  wasnt much, but was great.

then yesterday (tuesday) i went and wanted to start the bike up again.  nothing.  i turned the key and nothing turned on.  so i did the process again.  CLR and then cleaned with water (in a windex bottle so i could get some pressure) and dried it off.  still nothing.

Today in SW Virginia it was 72..  i swear everyone with a motorcycle was out..except for me.  so today after coming home i went and ordered 14 spools of different colored wire, (18 gauge, 100 feet each), a new waterproof fuse box, a LED flasher relay (adjusts to loads from 1-20amps), and then i went through  my old (shorted out) wiring harness and counted all of the connectors, and ordered those.   I wanted to do it all in waterproof connectors, but because of order minimums (5 bucks worth for a specific piece), i would have had to spend about 200 just on connectors (when i only need about 20 bucks worth-and would be left with a LOT of extras).   but i bought some wire seals that ill see if they can squish into the back of the connectors to seal them up (theyre meant for round connectors.

But hopefully everything will be here by early next week so i can get cracking.  But i'll post pictures and a writeup and info about it and the processes of making it incase anyones interested.  I figured after 23 years, the bike deserves a new harness. :)

But i'll update with info when things start coming in the mail.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

one day, when I and the other long timers are long gone, & those who aren't even newbies yet have 40 year old Visions, they'll be making crankshafts & cams... we all are laying the groundwork.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

redxz550inoz

So I should be printing EVERYTHING for when my girls take over  ;D

harry_angel69

I can't wait to view the first Vision oil cooler in the Ghetti Museum of Vision History. ;)
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

Walt_M.

Blake, I have a used harness I got from ebay a while ago, doesn't look too bad. I think I gave $10 for it plus shipping. Let me know when you get tired of making a new one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I wouldn't bet on that Walt, i've seen Blake do some pretty neat projects (homemade exhaust from scratch, AFR meter testing, CAD designs, etc.) He's defenatly got 'sticktoitiveness'...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

Well Its about time to get started on a new wiring harness..  Friday  and saturday i got two packages filled with the following: (excluding the white baggy on the top left)

The baggy on the top left is an assortment of main jets and a couple pilot jets i bought a few months ago.  The 6 in the bottom center are main jets (pairs of 130, 140, 145, 150, 155, 160) i figure those should get me pretty damn close to an ideal mixture.  top center is a new clutch switch (mines starting to fall apart. i havent changed them out yet but im almost 100% certain its an exact fit.  and there's two exhaust clamps on the top right, and an exhaust hanger on the bottom left (for my custom exhaust.(im going to straight pipe it in a while when i get the jetting down-shouldnt make much of a difference over the mufflers that are on there now).

In the second picture shows all of the electrical connections for the harness:

I went through my spare harness and counted every connection and am pretty sure thats all of them (even counted handlebar switches, etc)

The green baggie on the bottom is wire seals that im going to see if they'll fit in the connectors to help with the water problem.  And the blue box bottom center is a new flasher Relay for LED turn signals:

I have LED signals for the rear, and the stock relay doesnt work.   And i want to put another small led pair up front, so this will definately help me.

And Lastly:  a picture everything that came including the 14 spools of wire (100 feet each). the stock wiring harness has around 20 different colors, but this is as many as i could get (cheaply-about 3 bucks a reel of 100') without having to pay extra for striping, and plus there was minimums to get wire striped, so this will do.

Now im about to head out to HouseDepot to go get a good set of wire strippers and crimpers, and a nice big bag of heat shink so everything will be in good shape.

Ill post pictures as it comes along.  If i get everything organized, and it goes smoothly i suspect i should be done this weekend (when i can put a few hours into putting it all together.  Im hoping this will be the end to my wiring woes from now on.

OH.  one more thing.  I ordered a new Water proof fuse box (top screws on and is sealed with an o-ring.  it was backordered but theyre sending it out today so that should be here shortly too.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Superfly

Now that is a big task.... :o
I feel so inadequate.... :-/
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

hfarley

Holy parts Batman! You definately should document everything you do along the way. That way newbie's like me ;D can ask you advice later ,on plus you could make a step by step cd or something. Good luck!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Paul_Jungnitsch

An automatic wire stripper is really a great tool to spend a few extra dollars on. Mine was about 18.00 US, and worth every penny many times over. Same design as this one:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=23759

Extent

I've got that same tool, well worth every penny.  Everyone should have one of those.

I also eagerly await your progress.  I've read about people making new harnesses for their cars, this should be a cinch in comparison.  I don't know if I could bring myself to do it without striped wire or something similar tho, electrical troubleshooting is already complicated enough.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Blake

Oh, Believe me.   As i make this wiring harness ill be making a modified schematic for the wiring diagram.  definately dont need to be searching wires to figure out where something went wrong.

Blake

MrMe

hey blake
how much
and how soon will you be selling these ?
Brian

Blake

Hey Everyone,

Started getting into the project..its taking a while to figure out how to tackle this project in an organized way, but once i get that out of the way it should go pretty quick.. i figured if i seperate all the wires and run them the legnths of the original wires first it should go pretty quick once i get it all laid out.

few more pictures:

The wiring harness which has taken a permanent place on my bedroom floor.

Now the problem.. after looking at the harness.. i dont know what this one part is.  can anyone identify it?  only thing i can thing of is a diode or resistor of some sort maybe for RFI?  theres a Light Blue Wire and a Blue and Green (im pretty sure its green.  please correct me if im wrong, im slightly red/green colorblind)  I see the light blue wire goes to the starting circut cut off relay in the wiring diagram, but the only blue green (L/G) i can find on the diagram is fron the fan relay to the thermostatic switch.  some pictures:

Any help on this would be appreciated.  once i find my multimeter im going to test it for ohms to see if its a resistor.. not sure how to see if its a diode or anything else.  IF anyone knows what it is.  do you think i need to use it again in my new harness?  Thanks.

And Brian,

I havent thought of "mass producing" these things yet.  Making this one for myself is more expensive than buying a new harness (when they still sold them), but thats mainly because i had to buy the connectors at an average of $3-$4 a piece (20 or so connectors).  But if i complete this and people are actually interested and can guarantee me theyd get one, i could then actually bulk order a bunch of fully WATERPROOF connectors to make it even better than this one im making (with minimums on the waterproof connectors i would have had to spend near 300 alone on connectors).  But i wouldnt be against making a lot of 10 or so of these if people were interested.  And if people do say they want one, with the (actually slightly cheaper) waterproof connectors i supposed it may end up being around 100 bucks to make.  Id be more if people wanted new relays and such.  but im just throwing around ideas now. im not sure what itll all come to.

Ill Keep you all updated.

Blake

MrMe

100.00 is cheap. I know the time and research involved in a project like this .... Thats why i would buy one from you ..

ps2/bikevision

all i can say is good luck.

i did a new harnes on my 89 jimmy. i didnt color code it (i used speaker wire that i got for free from work) so if i someday sell it who ever buys it will have fun trying to figure out what i did. (the only reason i still have it is cause no one else could figure out what i done.)

good luck making it. im glad i got a spare. and i hope i never need it.

Blake

So the new fuse box came today.  Wow.  this thing is nice quality! nice quality plastic construction and looks very sturdy and water tight!  

But a little update on the progress.  I ditched the wire seal effort as it was causing more problems and making progress real slow.  but after ive been chugging away.  as you can see from earlier pictures i've pretty much separated the wiring harness.  I started with one connector, a 6 way connector, and then worked my way around from there.  I numbered each (im up to 12 so far) and pretty much have all of the front connectors (less bullet connectors) completed.

Whats hindering my progress is i need some thicker gauge wire for some power leads on one particular connector, but ive just been extremly busy this past week and probabaly will be for the next few weeks until school gets out in early may.  
     But ive also notice  a problem.  Although it probabaly really doesnt matter, i forgot to figure out how to document how the wires are bundled together (the two sections up front), so i need to take a look at the harness on my running bike (which i dont want to take off until i have this new harness completed..for ease of making sure where everything goes.)

But, not wanting to screw this up (and with lack of a garage here), i think im going to do as much as i can without actually connecting everything completely together, and wait till i head back home for the summer (beginning of may) before i slap it on.  It's sad really.. I havent riden the bike since last october and its killing me...hearing all the other bikes riding by outside.

But soon enough.  Ill still keep you all updated.

Blake