News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Need advice for chrome on emblems.

Started by YellowJacket!, March 28, 2006, 08:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Ok, I'm down to th enitty gritty final touches and I have a dilema.  My XZ550 side emblems are chromed gold and my Yamaha tank emblems are chromed silver.  My question is, what is the best way to re-chrome/paint the tank emblems to gold and make them look good.  The current chrome job is very good and I hate to ruin them but they don't match.

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

DaveTn, I read once on this forum where someone had taken their tank emblems to a local body shop at a car dealership to have them redone. Might be worth it to call and see if they'll do them for you. I forget what the process was called but it's not painting. Someone on the forum must know what I'm talking about. It's more of a etching or something like that.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

Have i got a treat for you! check your email..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Ahhhh, I just found where this post went to.  I thought I originally posted it in TechTalk but when I went back to check it, it was gone so I reposted.  I thing I ihnaled tew mych paint fumes.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

dave,, run down to local hobby/craft store, buy a small starter kit for gold leaf work. it has leaf, glue, brushes and a burnisher and some fixer spray ,,, i think was 21.50 or so? ?you will have enough there to re-leaf (gold chrome) every badge you have and maybe a bit more. just be sure to work clean, dont sneeze and keep the cat away from the table you are working on . ( for some reason , cats like smell of the glue used in gold leaf work )

once you have all areas done, burnish it well, and use the fixer spray to lock it all in,,, looks like real gold plating and everything will match. for much less than having it done .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .