News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

She Won't Crank

Started by YellowJacket!, May 07, 2005, 05:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

OK, after pulling all the electronics off (relays, rectifier, starter etc) and testing them via the methods in the Haynes guide and putting it all back together....nothing.  No click, nothing.  Battery is new and charged. Fuses are all good.  Wiring looks OK. What else could it be?  I know it could be a long list.  I checked the ground wire too and it seems good...did a continuity test.  A bad TCI wouldn't keep it from even cranking would it?  I can turn the cylinders by putting it in gear and pushing it.  I can even feel the suction at the carbs.

Any suggestions oh wise ones?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Buffo

do your warning lights buy the key come on when you turn the key on?

YellowJacket!

Buffo

i had a problem with my ignition (where you put the key). it was rusty inside. i  took off  the tumbler, used a philips head srew driver and turned it around for a few seconds and i got power.

but first check if you have power to the main fuse. if you do you should get power to the key. the main fuse is the one furthest to starboard.

YellowJacket!

Buffo,

I'm thinking along those lines too.  I pulled out (carefully) the whole wiring harness and plan to check each wire individually.  There seems to be a few places where the wire is wrapped that it has worn through some.

Your idea about the ignition is a good one since I know the battery and the fuses are all good, it has to be a part of the problem.  Since I puled out the WH, I also took out the ignition.  It had been a bit difficult at times to turn the key, so I'll clean it and test it.

My project has progressed way beyond my expectations. As nice a shape that it was in, I have decided to tear it down piece by piece.  I have made a cardboard mockup and I am using it to place all the nuts and bolts so I know where they go when I put it back together.  I have highlited all the ones that are rusted, damaged or missing so I can replace them later.  So far, nothing seems seriously broken which is good.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

Thanks a bunch!

David

MrMe

were you working in the headlight bucket. I ran acrost that once uncliped a few harnessesin there and same thing nothin ... pluged em back in and all was good

YellowJacket!

Ahah!!

Yes, had the headlight out and some of the plugs (I think turn signals only though) unplugged.

David

Buffo

you can check the ignition switch with a voltage tester real easy. just touch the solder points with the key off. then turn the key on and test them again. you sould see right then and there if its your switch.

good luck.

i hate doing full tear downs. i always find that it turns into a bucket of worms.

Buffo