Main Menu

airboxes

Started by Humber, September 18, 2003, 02:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humber

guys.. I almost finishied collecting 83 parts for my new restoration job....

bu today I was told that 83 and 82 airboxes are different.. I have two 82 airboxes so my question is... will they fir on 83 carb???
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

The 82 airbox will hit the return fitting on the left rear top of the carb, but can be made to fit, i'm told, by heating the corner of the airbox, where it hits, and while still warm, pushing it onto the carb.  kind of a custom job.  

I was looking at mine, because I have to do the same thing, & I figured I'd use a small propane torch flame, or over the stove, & remove the rear boot while doing the job to be sure I don't melt it.  I'll leave the front boot on so that I can be sure it's fairly close as far as lining it up.  I'm going to do it before I put the carbs in the bike, it just seems like it'll be easier.

Hows the floor comming?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

THank U lucky, I think I will finish today. The floor looks OK, as if it had been tiled by a proffesional, I managed to keep the level and everything is OK, it is not so bad taking into acount the fact that I have done it for the first time in my life.

There is one loss... the skin on my fingers is rubbed away so it pains and burns a lot.......

but I have to finish....
nie ma podpis?w

rip_brotz420

the rear upper motor mount bracket will be the next challenge i have mine next to 82 mount and mine  has extra plate on top of it but also the right side has a slight curve, the bracket will fit  with it  cut, i have scribbed the differances on a 82 bracket, and will send it in your package      \/ twins

Lucky

Simply cut out the section of the plate below the left hole, leaving enough room for the return fitting on the rear carb, using a cut-off wheel.  you don't even need to worry about the engine moving when you take the plate out. easy

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

I managed to find an 83 mounting bracket... it will be soo  on the way to me.... shit... I hardly write.... I could commit a crime because my fingertips are rubbed...  left them on my new floor... damn.... burns...
nie ma podpis?w