News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Is this stator worth buying?

Started by spectre, December 28, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectre

Hey everyone, I know I haven't posted in a while, and I wish I had, but things have just gotten so busy since I Lucky (mom and dad) moved away, and I just haven't had time to work on his old white 82. I took the battery in today and got it on the charger, and I'm working on getting it rideable again, but the stator has been fried for a while, I found this stator on eBay, http://m.ebay.com/itm/121290290816?nav=SEARCH
And I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth purchasing, I have never done a stator on my own, but lucky has done one with me, and passed on his knowledge. Fyi I did a search on the forum to no avail, any help is much appreciated!!!
Thanks! -spectre
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Re-Vision

That's about as cheap as I've seen on a newly wound one. Hope you get it up and running.      BDC

fret not

Hi Spec.  Moved away, . . . . . from the internet? ;)  Good to see you around again.  How is school going?

RM Stators seem to have a good reputation.  The big point when changing one is to make sure all electrical connections are clean and greased, and the rest of the charging system is in good order.  That means battery healthy and fully charged, and REG/REC in good functional condition.

Problems arise when connections become corroded and cause resistance (heat), or the battery goes down and the stator has to work overtime to no avail, or the REG/REC unit is overloaded and fries.  Preventative maintenance is called for, just keep checking stuff as you use the bike, and fix anything that gets out of kilter.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

spectre

@Re-Vision Cool! good to know, and thank you, me too lol.
I'm doing well at the moment, I'm out of school for the time being, I REALLY want to go back, but for the time being I have a really really great job, so things are going well. As you probably know, Lucky and my mother moved to Florida, so I'm making it o my own now. (or trying to haha) I'll be sure to clean and grease everything.
This V has had the R/R re-routed to the swingarm. (It's lucky's old white 82' I bought it off of him when they moved) I've done quite a few searches on here, but I wasn't able to find what I'm looking for. I'm sure that somebody has to have done some sort of write-up on the fabled stator replacement, right? anyone have a link I could follow to one? I don't mean to sound lazy, but all of my searches have turned up very little relative info. I also need to see if I can find any info on how to give the entire electrical system a good test, so more searches in the future.
Anyways, I'm glad to be back, and I can't wait to hop back on the V.
Thanks again guys!  8) ;D

fret not

Either drain the oil or lean the bike over on the RH (as if sitting on bike) side so the oil doesn't run out, and unplug the 2 wiring connectors coming from under the cover.  Those wires are from the stator (3 yellow) and the ignition pick up sending coils.  These connectors are extremely important to make clean and secure contact, so use the dielectric grease (silicone grease)

The stator is in the LH engine cover and held into the cover with 3 screws (leave those screws in place until after you remove the cover from the motor).  There is a lot of magnetic force when you pull the cover, so you have to pull on it pretty hard, and then it lets go and tends to fly across the room.

Once the cover is off there is a plate inside that hold the wires in place, so this plate is removed then you can remove the 3 screws that hold the stator to the cover.

If the gasket becomes torn or worse you may need to buy a new one, or you CAN make one, or use a "form-a-gasket" type material.  The mating surfaces must be clean of any debris so they will fit together closely when you reassemble that cover.  Any small bit of gasket or debris left on those surfaces will cause oil leaks, so make sure it's scrupulously clean. :police:

Check with Lucky whether he did the starter clutch fix or does it still need to be done.  It is good to check this out while you have that cover off, so make sure both stator and starter clutch are in good order before putting it together.

Do you not have a copy of the famous "Lucky's CD"?  It has both the factory and Haines shop manuals and many other things of serious interest.  Also check the links on Profit of Doom's postings as he has organized a really useful compilation of XZ material.

You really should have at least one of those manuals at your disposal because you will need to refer to it from time to time.  Needing it one time makes it worth having, and you will need it more than once if you are going to ride a Vision.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

spectre

Thanks fret, that will help a ton. I used to use dad's Haynes but he took it with him when he moved so I'll have to pick up another. Other than that it seems pretty straight forward!

spectre

Also- forgot to say, the first thing I did was ask dad if he still had his dvd's but he's not sure, things were all over the place during their move.

Rikugun

Much of the DVD material has been provided by Roro here:
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221.0

It looks like you'll need to re-use your grommet and outer wire cover with that stator.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Make sure that the grommet is well sealed - to my cost I now have an oil leak from there.

Also, while the cover is off, take a moment to clean the "window" for your oil level indicator. A cotton bud should do the job.

Good luck.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550