Ridin' in the frozen north...!!!

Started by Tiger, January 04, 2007, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) It is several week's since I last rode my "V". However, as you may have read, I have been doing a fair amount of work on her.
Anyhow, the weather here in the "Frozen North", for 4th January, is a sunny, 45f !!! My car is in the shop for major repair's and I needed to go to my biggest client's shop. The wife needed her truck. Sooooo...Off came the Vision cover, switch to prime, set choke aaaaaaaand...she live's... 8)
;D I did around trip of a little under 100 mile's to-day, Thursday 4th January 2007!!!! THE 4th of Flaming January!!! NO SNow = No Snowmobile... :o Just El Ninio doing his thing... 8)
The steering, complete with new taper bearing's, felt a wee bit wierd at first...certainly more precise. You can "feel" the road more...and the '83 rear shock IS a big improvement to the over-all ride. With the "Big Nut" now firmly secure behind the left hand casing, there was no rattling noise to annoy me...she just purred.......like a big old contented pussy cat, or was that me... :o It is certainly nice to ride anytime but to get a ride out on the 4th January...Oh boy, bonus time.
Guess we will have to wait a wee while longer before we build an igloo, eat seal meat and light the way with whale oil lamp's...Oh well, never mind...I think I can put up with this weather for a wee while longer, eh... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Great riding up north!  The streets here are still icy / snowpacked & slushy.  However, yesterday I saw a sport bike out for a ride & today, I saw several street legal dirt bikes managing to get around.  The sport biker must live right on one of the main roads.  Those were all in great shape until a little while ago - when the snow started falling again.  There's still too much ice between my driveway & the nearest main road to even think about getting the V out.  When I went out this afternoon in the pickup, the slush on the street in front of my house was about 6 inches deep.  We're supposed to get between 2 & 6 inches out of this storm.  If this keeps up, we will have snow on the ground into April!

Looks like those of us farther south are trying to be the Great White North this winter!  The National Guard has been out with helicopters & tracked vehicles, getting hay to the livestock stranded by last week's blizzard.  In the SW part of Colorado, drifts of 10 - 15 feet are making it impossible for many ranchers to get to their herds.  A similar storm in 1997 killed over 30,000 cattle.  This one is shaping up to be at least as bad.

For those of you who can - Ride Safe!  For everyone else, stay warm, dry & dream of the riding to come.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) I have to admit that having a full fairing, with vent's that work, does make a HUGE difference. I saw one of those "I'm a naked Harley rider, I'm cool" guy's...We stopped kittykat to each other at an intersection and I could hear this clattering noise, like a worn timing chain??? loose rocker's?? No, it was his teeth chattering, I swear!!! Mr cool dude, beetroot red ear's and face beaming out from under his p**s pot helmet and sun glasses :D :D :D :D and was that the renowned Harley vibration that was making his body wiggle & jiggle...or cool guy shivering ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D.. ;)

Sorry you have ALL our snow h2o... ::)...well not really... ;D ;D ;D :D :D but I do feel for the animal's, including the live stock.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

MotorPlow

I am so sorry for you guys.... The weather here has been in the high 60's and 70's for 2+ weeks now. I know, sooner or later we are going to get hit hard with frigid temperatures. Today is a little wet outside, but still close to 70oF. I went for my annual New Year's Day ride, I am just trying to find the time to write it up for my blog.

YellowJacket!

I'll just send you some of this "nice" weather we're having here.  Its freakin 70 degrees out here today!! I need some winter.  My tulip bulbs, which normally don't come up until march, are sprouting.  My trees are getting buds and my maples are getting ready to sprout their seed pods.  My grass is well past needing to be mowed, which I usually don't have to do until mid-march.
Send me some of that cold stuff and I'll send you some of this warm crap.  If we don't get a winter here we'll be overrun by bugs.

:0

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:( Well, we knew it had to come... ::)...

Tuesday H...30° / L...22°f

Wednesday 24° / 21°f

Thursday 34° / 27°f

Friday 36° / 26°f

.......Looks like the "V" won't be going anywhere soon... ;)

YellowJacket!

OMG! OMG OMG!

I just looked outside and its SNOWING!!  I let the dogs out about an hour ago and the sun was shining.  NOw the ground is slightly covered and its coming down pretty good.
Thanks H2O for sending me the snow!!  :-)  :-)  ;D ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

You're welcome, Dave!  However, be careful what you wish for . . .

Long range forecast for Colorado is 6 to 30 inches of snow, followed by a week of temps in the single digits (F).  If the snow arrives before the cold, we'll get 6 - 10 inches of wet snow.  If the snow comes after the cold gets here, we'll get 15 - 30 inches of light, fluffy powder snow.  Saw it was -41F in interior Alaska yesterday.  That's the air mass expected to reach here by the weekend.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

hey, mine just came too! awesome job there H2O  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Really, I had nothing to do with it - unless ordering some parts to refurbish my snowblower forced the weather patterns to reverse . . .  May you all in the once temperate East (& North) get all the winter you want & need.  Time to put the studded tires on the Vs or get out the snowmobiles!   ;D

H2O

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on January 09, 2007, 01:02:11 PM
Really, I had nothing to do with it - unless ordering some parts to refurbish my snowblower forced the weather patterns to reverse . . . 

actually, it might........... you need to be very careful...

based on personal experience; buying a new snowthrower will keep significant accumlations of snow away for at least 13 months, temper regional climates, and have a negative effect on entire northcountry economies based on winter tourism  :o
;D

JasonJames

One word...snowmobile, in upper michigan thats how we ride...
Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...Even if you do win, you're still retarded :)

Night Vision

are those 82 or 83 risers?

ya know... that actually looks like what a Yamaha Vision snowmobile would've looked like...

I hate how Yamaha has the same name for different things
Vmax SRX Phaser... they could be Cycles or snowmobiles
;D

JasonJames

Very true. That and thier yamaha warrior atv and their warrior steetbike, talk about mismatched search results.... :-X

The blues of looking for a atv tailight and finding a butt-load of cool vision part's is always a bonus.

The snowmobiles an original 1991 ski-doo mach 1 with 1900 miles. and a virgin, never been worked on besides carb cleaning and spark plugs. Maybe I'll have to trade it for lowers.... ;D
Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...Even if you do win, you're still retarded :)