horsepower per cubic cent

Started by ricks_83, May 08, 2002, 06:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricks_83

if a harley say 1000 cc with redline of 5000 rpm produces say 50 horsepower for 1000 cc, will a 500 cc motor with 10,000 produce the same horsepower ratings if the fuel consumed is the same
                                                                                                                                                                         a large flywheel is found on the harley than a 4 cylinder in line because of the inherant inbalance of the v that smoothes the power stroke out making it more tolerable to be ridin, the harley is a group of compromising systems to smooth out the power delivery larger flywheel is  large  the carbs used were designed for large cylinders with low intake velocity when they were hopped up they were more of a hand full.  the counterbalancer on the vision allows it to rev without the vibration at high rpms the carbs will work as designed but the hesitation that appears in some cases is it possable that the accelorator is to far away from the valves that by the time fuel gets there via the accelorator nozzle the valves will be closed ow pressure are fuel sprayed under the venturies in a higher pressure area is broken down to a more atomised mist but that location could be improved  one reason 4 cylinders is easier because there is a cylinder opening every stroke the accelorator is  only 4 inches  in the vision its less likely to happen, more than likely you will get hesitation if the accelorator nozzle sprays a finer mist of fuel right in the intake manifold then the cylinders will get a rich charge. in the carbs that i built they were built from 2 set of causing the carbs with accelorator pumps then plugging the old nozzles were blocked  and  plumbed into the intake manifolds smaller fitting i taped it out part way to keep the spray nozzle from falling into the port put a ball check valve in the lines and did some things with the linkage on the front cylinder  the possability of converting a fuel injection is possable there are some kits designed for snow machines that can be converted to this motor the in tank fuel pump can be installed solving the fuel delivery pressure the electronic computor can be wired in with out the o2 sensor there is a kit from polaris for displacements  up to 700 cc with computor temp senders and injectors

Rick_Laffer

Bloody hell mate, got a bit lost there!
However, in answer to initial question, NO! The engines' efficiency will govern the output.
A certain amount of fuel has a very specific energy conversion potential. eg, diesel is about 44 megaJoules/kilogram. I think petrol/gasoline is fairly similar.
Thus, at 100% efficiency, an engine, on a kilogram of fuel, can do 44MJ of Work.
This equates to applying a certain force, say 4400N (Newtons) over a certain distance, say 10,000m (10 kilometres).
That is the POTENTIAL.
Elecric motors are very efficient in energy conversion (generally over 90%) but at this stage internal combustion engines aren't generally a lot over 35% (this may have changed recently, I don't know).
However, a Harley at 5000 rpm will get about the same mileage as a 500cc@10000rpm, IF their efficiency is the same.....which is quite doubtful. The designed power delivery
of an engine, i.e. in what rev range certain power is developed, is decided in the design phase and can be greatly altered, i.e....peak power at whatever engine speed, and therefore the 1000cc@5000rpm and 500cc@10000rpm question of the same power, even with identical efficiencies is unlikely.
I don't FEEL bored.