News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

YICS

Started by Agonoize, July 05, 2010, 03:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agonoize

Why I didn't think of that I don't know.  But thanks I will try that thanks man.

Lucky

on Agonizes thing: if Re-Vision is right, & it's switch related, make sure you haven't somehow tapped into another system by mistake. 
If, for example you somehow tapped into a coil primary wire, then as resistance in the sending unit builds, you'd be providing ground to a wire that probably shouldn't be grounded, killing the ignition.  you may or maynot see the tach act funny...

On the YICS, I'm one who firmly believes it works, & the science behind it is sound, But, if 'seat of the pants' tells someone otherwise, & they are happier without it, then I say go for it (just don't throw it away)

Also, You have to do the water test with the YICS, you can't allways detect a leak by just blowing into it...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: YellowJacket! on July 06, 2010, 11:21:25 PM
I can cook us up some burgers too.  Oh wait, I've been banned from cooking burgers but I'd still like to meet ya.
8)

David

Somehow I sense there is an interesting story behind that ban...  ::)

Perhaps involving flammables?   :o

Care to share?   ???

I will jump in on the side favoring YICS units.   My YICS-equipped, airbox-flapper-equipped 1982 runs smoothly, no hesitation or stumbling at any point in the rev range, with a nice even idle.
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

YellowJacket!

Not long after joining ROV, I got a PM from Mutt and motorplow that they were coming to TN to ride the Dragon.  At the time YJ wasn't totally roadworthy so I wasn't able to go on the ride but I invited them over for a cookout after ther ride.

I was out back cooking the borgers on the grill when I heard the unmistakable sound of two Visions rolling up my street.  In my excitement, I ran out to meet them and we stood out in my driveway talking for some time...I even rolled YJ out to show them.  My wife walks outside and asks me who was watching the burgers when I looked up and saw the smoke rising from behind my house.  They were toast.

So for some time, I took a bit of a ribbing over my burnt burgers.  One of my fondest memories of becoming a Rider of Vision.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

On the plus side, Dave has a lifetime supply of sidestand pucks!  ;D ;D :D

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Lucky on September 20, 2010, 11:20:32 PM
On the plus side, Dave has a lifetime supply of sidestand pucks!  ;D ;D :D

Right, and his carbon footprint is now about a size 10 with Vibram soles... ;)

Glad to hear Dave's story had a happy ending (and a happy beginning - being distracted by the arrival of a brace of Visions and their riders is completely understandable!)  ;D ;D

I was afraid there was an attempt to re-light an already-going grill fire with lighter fluid or old gas or something...

A Very Bad Idea BTW.   Don't try this at home, boys and girls.    :police: :police:
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP

Rikugun

Quotedistracted by the arrival of a brace of Visions

A brace? hmmm...often, in a brace of pheasant, one is male and one female.

But with names like "Mutt" and "Motorplow", I'm guessin' these were a couple of dudes!   :laugh: :-\ :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Rikugun on September 21, 2010, 10:03:12 PM
Quotedistracted by the arrival of a brace of Visions

A brace? hmmm...often, in a brace of pheasant, one is male and one female.

But with names like "Mutt" and "Motorplow", I'm guessin' these were a couple of dudes!   :laugh: :-\ :D

Um, per my online Free Merriam-Webster...

Brace, n., def. 2: "two of a kind : pair <several brace of quail>"

Don't hafta be opposite sexes.   But now I have to go poke my eyes out with a sharp stick, thanks a lot for the mental image!! LOL  :o :o
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP

Rikugun

Well Mike, I said "often" , not "halfta". And I was referring to pheasant, not quail. And I looked it up online too! Checkout wiki answers for "How many pheasant in a brace?"

So, while I appreciate your attempt at keeping me honest, who's to say who is wrong? Hmmmm? Me? You? Wiki? Merriam? All I know is, if I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Sorry, couldn't resist using that line..... I think I read it in a joke someone posted recently?  :laugh: ;) :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I realize the YICS is emissions related, but do you really believe you could outthink a group of Yamaha engineers tasked with the job of getting this new motor to run right and satisfy the EPA when their engineering prestige was on the line?  I for one doubt it.   On all the bikes of this period you could remove the airbox, add headers and put on K&Ns.  Your bike might run well--or it might not.  Either way you were setting yourself up for quite a bit of work. 

Lucky

I think one of the reasons the YICS is subject to so much debate, is that it has come to be a very subjective piece of equipment.  Everyone is different when it comes to 'seat of the pants' & 'seat of the pants' gives a lot of weight on how we feel about a bikes performance.

For example, i can definatly tell the difference between a properly functioning YICS as opposed to a faulty one, or riding with it removed & plugged. BUT, lots of people metion feeling frame flex in the bike, to the point where those who do suggest redoing the right side frame pice with larger mounting bolts & nuts. I don't feel a thing there.. never have & that's just me...

Now being the mechanical person that & am, I've studied the limited info Yamaha gave us on the YICS (in the service manual, not in Haynes) & feel the science behind it is sound.  it's akin to Hemi engine design, or even a stratified charge 2 stroke. (not swirling the mixure, but precise control of the charge with a carberated engine)

BTW, blowing thru the YICS to see if it leaks is not enough, you have to do the water test...

my .02
--Lucky