News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Can I mount a clock / amp meter / stuff?

Started by dchakrab, October 26, 2006, 03:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Random question: There's a thin board in the bike's head, where the guages are mounted, inside the top fairing (full fairing '83). Would it be possible / easy to cut a space out of that board to mount a new guage or a clock?

The two things I've been wishing I had were an amp meter (so I'd know if the battery wasn't charging right) and a clock (since I'm always late, and digging the cell phone one with a gloved hand from a tight jeans pocket (usually wearing two pairs of pants) is a royal pain. The clock might be easier...find a battery-powered one, cut the right size, and tape it in from underneath somehow. The amp meter...where would I connect it, where would I get it, and what should i buy?

Any other ideas for stuff to mount (don't say GPS)? Maybe a compass (is there anything else majorly magnetic up there)? Maybe I can figure this out in time to get the V a Christmas present or two...

Thanks,

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

h2olawyer

You can cut the dash to mount gauges, clock, switches, power port, things like that.  You need to make sure the thing you're mounting will clear the fairing frame.

Formotion makes a really nice clock & thermometer set.  I mounted mine with the screws that attach the dash to the fairing frame.  Designed for motorcycle use & they come priced from about $20 to $50 (each).  Analog so you can tell time at a glance.  I've also installed a volt meter & switches for manual control of the cooling fan & driving lights.  The photo below shows the dash with voltmeter, fan switch, clock (upper right) & thermometer (upper left).  Apologies for the blurred photo.   ::)

You would be better served with a volt gauge than an ammeter.  Keeping track of the voltage is the clearest sign of your charging system's health.

If you have an original plastic dash, I recommend you either make a replacement out of sheet plastic, wood or metal.  Tiger makes them & sells them if you'd rather go that route.  The full fairing dashes are kind of rare parts & it would be nice to keep as many unmolested as possible.

I used 1/4" oak plywood for my dash replacement.  Traced the original plastic one out & cut it with a band saw.  Sanded, stained & polyurethaned it.  Looks pretty cool (IMHO) & I get lots of positive comments about it.

For getting power to your accessories & gauges, get a small fuse block & terminal strip.  Run a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the positive battery terminal to the fuse block & one wire from the negative terminal to the terminal strip.  That way, you have easy access to power & ground.  I've gotten that far to date.  Will be adding in a 30A or 40A relay & hooking that into the ignition switch so it will turn off with the key, but that's a winter project.  I just used wire ties to attach the fuse block & terminal strip to the fairing frame.  Sure makes for a tidy install & you don't need to run long wires back to your battery for any concievable electrical accessory such as a helmet camera, grip heaters or an outlet for heated clothing.

Hope this helps you get started.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dchakrab

Good thoughts. I like the idea of a bolt-on that doesn't require cutting. Hmmm. Might be an option if I've got some spare bucks at some point (though I should probably save up and send the carbs off to Lucky instead).

Thanks,

D.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

ps2/bikevision

h2olawyer

Those things aare pretty cool but I have a hard time reading digital info quickly.  Prefer analog style so I get the info at a quick glance.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: ps2 on October 26, 2006, 02:10:41 PM
dave try this. its got all you want plus. and it is all in one.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16951&cat=0&page=1

And this is what it looks like mounted on the bike.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Complete with those snazzy gauge faces!  Looks good, Dave.   ;D

H2O

dchakrab

*Very* nice. I agree with H20 about analog being easier to read, but this looks like it'll do. I'm saving up for the bike cover first, though; that has to take precedence over toys :)

Now I just need to find a cheap HUD that'll reflect that display off the V's windshield...

Lucky

Quote from: dchakrab on October 28, 2006, 06:08:53 PM
I'm saving up for the bike cover first, though; that has to take precedence over toys :)

Good boy!!

Quote from: dchakrab on October 28, 2006, 06:08:53 PM
Now I just need to find a cheap HUD that'll reflect that display off the V's windshield...

Oh YEAH!!  & i know just where to mount the cannon & FLIR too!!! Turn Left in front of me will you!!......
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Its kind of funny, with the tinted screen I can actually see my gauge reflection quite good and had actually thought "hmmmm, I can rig up a digital HUD on this thing".  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)