Going to look at an '82 this weekend

Started by TXVision, March 12, 2003, 09:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXVision

Hey guys, I'm going to look at an '82 Vision this weekend. I currently have an older Honda CB750, but I've been in love with the Vision since I sold my '82 Vision in '89 after owning it for 3 years. So, I have a couple of questions - what is parts availability like? This bike I'm interested in looks clean and well cared-for, but eventually it'll need parts. What's a good source for parts?

Also, my old '82 had the spiffy little 1/4 fairing, and the "new" '82 doesn't. Is there a comparable fairing for this bike that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I love the way these bikes look with a quarter fairing.... I've read through Lucky's "Vision Resources" site, and it's good stuff. Anything else I need to know before possibly buying this bike? ????

Thanks for y'alls time....

Lucky

You can more or less find most of the things you need either here, (lots of us have parts bikes), Ebay, thru Yamaha, or outside retailers.  I don't think there is anyone here who has a bike they can't ride due to lack of parts...snow maybe, but not parts :)

I have a very nice Vetter Sting fairing for sale if you buy the bike. Email me if your interested.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RobTx

There's a quarter fairing on ebay right now, without the hardware though.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406678820
If you're in the DFW area, send me an email.  I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'd be happy to help with your new Vision any way I can.  I had a Vision in the 80's as well, so I'm a reborn Visionary too.
Rob

TXVision

Thanks for the fairing info. Will most fairings with a square headlight cut out fit on the Vision without too much trouble, or is there specific fairings I should look for?

Rob - Yeah, I'm in the Plano area, so I might take you up on your offer sometime.    :)    Any other N. Texas Vision riders here?

Anyway, I won't get to look at the bike until Saturday, so I'll know more about it (and if I'll be in the market for parts-n-pieces) this weekend.

ricks_83

the fairing shown on ebay is a full fairing without the lowers attached.  If the 1/4 fairing needs the brackets i can get 1 for it and some of its other parts are still there

Rick G

goto Yamaha last, they are the most expensive. go on like and order a JC Whitney  and Dennis Kirk catalog( there free) they have brake shoes, bearings , cables, light bulbs, and many other items for the V. and like Lucky said this forum is a great place to find stuff for your V. just a suggestion , find a parts bike!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

TXVision

Thanks for the help. I already have a Dennis Kirk catalog, and I'll see what JC Whitney has to offer.

Here's a couple of pics of the bike:

http://home.attbi.com/~dnrose/FORSALE/VISION/Vision1.JPG
http://home.attbi.com/~dnrose/FORSALE/VISION/Vision2.JPG
http://home.attbi.com/~dnrose/FORSALE/VISION/Vision3.JPG
http://home.attbi.com/~dnrose/FORSALE/VISION/Vision4.JPG

I'm hoping it's as good as it looks. ? :)

Tim B.

Looks really clean!
Which type of fairing did you have on your original?
Mine is the silver one -I really like it.

Veni Vidi Vici...Vision.

TXVision

I had a fairing like the silver one on my original bike, which was silver also. The red one looks cool too...

QQBS

TX:  If it runs half as good as it looks it will be a winner.  I'm located in Houston.  Perhaps we can get together sometime.

For those of us that don't recognize it, this bikes' luggage rack is the most desirable design for the V.  The racks I've seen on Ebay are not even close.  In my opinion, on two nice Vs with all other things being equal except one has this rack and one doesn't, I would be willing to pay a $100.00 premium for the bike with the rack. I have had one on my '83 since I bought the bike in '84.  The back rest will telescope forward close to 3 feet.

The V has wonderful potential for sport touring and this rack is an incredable touring assessory.  When I tour, my standard set up is to have the sleeping bag bungied in front of the back rest with it moved far enough forward so that the bag serves as a padded back rest for me.  Doing this creates a luggage storage platform that is almost 2 feet long from the back of the back rest to the rear edge of the luggage rack.  When not touring, the back rest removes in 30 seconds.

This luggage rack platform is a universal design that can be bolted on to any bike that has some sort of bike specific mounting system.  The mounting system shown on TXs' bike is an official Yamaha V specific assessory.  Even if a bike doesn't a mounting system, a little creativity and imagination should be able to come up with a suitable set up.  It's worth it.  My long time riding buddy and I fitted one of these racks to his Kawa. Concours.  It looks absolutely factory.

Any time you are in a junk yard look for these racks.  They are no longer available new.  Most are now at least 10 years old.  Even if what you find is rusty, it's still desirable.  Phosphoric acid and semi-gloss black paint can work wonders.  If the day should ever come that my V is sold, it will be sold without its' luggage rack.  The mounting system yes.  The rack no.

Of course, if one is not into sport touring, then none of this is relevent to them. Cheers.    

RobTx

I've seen this Vision for sale in the dfw.forsale newsgroup for several weeks, going on 2 months.  Last weekend he listed it for $950 down from $1200.  Start your offer no higher than $800.  If you have to, mention it's an orphan bike, hard to find parts for, most mechanics look at it funny and it's history of electrical failures.  It's hard to say no if you wave $800 cash in his face.  I got my Miata for $3000 that way, he was asking $4000, but I knew he'd bought a new car and he just needed to get out from under it.  That said, it's a good buy.  I'd buy it if I had room.  
Rob

TXVision

Rob - I'd seen this in dfw.forsale for a while too. I actually went over today and bought it. Woohoo!!   ;D   Didn't get it for quite $800, but I got a great deal nonethless. It runs beautifully, and is as clean in person as it is in the pictures. It really needs nothing. I rode it today for about 45 minutes or so, and everything seems good so far....

One thing I'm wondering - how can you tell if the tank has been "Kreemed"? The tank's been sealed, but I'm not sure with what. Is there something to look for?

Lucky

Kreem is an almost white vynal like substance that you can catch with a fingernail.  poor stuff.  POR-15 is more of a grey color and solid, you can't scratch it.  MUCH better product.  DON'T use any carb cleaning products in the tank with Kreem, or if your unsure, they will desolve Kreem and badly gum up the carbs.  with POR-15 you can use injector cleaner, no problem.

2 things, Change the oil & filter, you don't know when it was done last, and put an inline fuel filter in ASAP. it'll save you bunches of agrivation & the $$ to have me rebuild your carbs :) :)
--Lucky

TXVision

Damn. Looks like it's been Kreemed then. Can you re-seal it with something else like POR-15 after Kreem has been applied?    ???

Fuel filters and oil changes are on the list of things to do ASAP, I'll probably do that this week.

Lucky

POR-15 does offer a tank kit that includes stuff to remove old coatings if you want to go that rout.  It would be the best thing to do, but the Kreem coating will probably be just fine as long as you don't use fuel system cleaner in the tank...
it boils down to weather or not you want to spend the $$$
I think that if the bike is in really nice shape, that i'd want to spend the extra and do it right.

We do reccomend a yearly treatment of Berrymans fuel injector cleaner, but not with the Kreem...

see my site for a link to POR-15
--Lucky

TXVision

Cool... and once again, I'm off to Lucky's site...  :)

Thanks!

TXVision

Oh yeah, QQBS - Good info about the rack. This one has a little rust in a couple of spots, and I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it up. I like the idea of phosphoric acid and semi-gloss black paint.  I think I'll give that a shot.

RobTx

Great going TXvision.  When I get back in town I'll shoot you an email and maybe we can go for a ride sometime.  My girlfriend rides too so we'd almost have a gang.  (She's on an XS650 though).  I'm looking forward to seeing this bike in person.
Rob

TXVision

Rob - Yeah, that'd be cool. I'd like to see some other Dallas-area Visions besides mine.