vision trailer hitch/trailer

Started by o_0_hell_0_o, November 08, 2006, 03:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

o_0_hell_0_o

I'm thinking of pulling a small trailer behind the vision.
Has anyone got one? or has tried?
I was wondering if the engine is powerfull enough for this.
It seams it would have enough grunt if i can be rolling in second and just lift the front end off the ground by ripping the throttle open...
but my main concern would be at highway speeds or uphill.
Also... i havnt checked with DMV yet... but i thought i read some where  that a motorcycle trailer has a width restriction... but i cant find it again.
If any of you have pulled motorcycle trailers before... your input would be great...
I have built allot of trailers.. but all have been large..
I know you would want the trailer as light as possible, and keep a 5-15 pound tongue weight
I plan on fabricating both the hitch and trailer if you all think it is doable.

|~| ell

Lucky

I don't know where you'd attach it, there isn't any rear frame to speak of on the bike...  youmight have to build a take off from the platform behind the engine...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

In 1972 the wife and I toured Europe on a 1966 CB450 Honda (double overhead cam twin with 4 speed transmission) while pulling a fiberglass, motorcycle specific, covered, utility trailer.  The trip lasted for 6 months 13 countries, and 9000 miles.  We camped out the entire trip.

The bike handled the trip without incident and had plenty of power to do anything we needed to do or go anywhere we wanted to go, hot, cold, wet, mountains, dirt roads, or autobann. You name it, no problem.  Top speed, two up, fully loaded was 85 mph.

A V will have zero problem pulling anything you would reasonably hook it to.

You'll have to fabricate the trailer hitch from scratch.  There are two rear frame bolts by the lower edge of the seat on each side of the bike that are your only available attachement points.  One of them is for the center stand lifting grab bar on the left side.  The right side has matching locations.  These are the four attachement points that my factory luggage rack uses.  With just a little creativity it shouldn't be too hard to use these points for mounting a trailer hitch.  Trailer tongue weight should be a non issue.

Cheers.

QBS

After further codgitation, I've developed a better hitch mounting design.  Run one piece of steel tubing around the rear of the bike, attaching the ends to the foot peg mounting bolts.  This piece of steel is held horizontal by two struts(one per side) that attach, on top, at the furtherest aft frame mounting point as described in my first post and, at the bottom, towards the rear of the horizontal piece.  A steel plate would be welded to the rear top side of the horizontal piece to serve as a mounting platform for the hitch ball.  This platform will also provide resistance to side to side movement of the horizontal piece.

The size of the tubing could be relatively light since the struts will be operating in tension, as will be most of the horizontal piece.  The horizontal piece would only be cantilevered over the short distance from the strut attachement points to the center of the hitch ball.  Hope this helps.  Cheers.

kiawrench

i had a drop hitch set up for mine made ,, was mounted at under seat bolt holes and off the rear peg bolt holes- i just had too many problems pulling the trailer-  but i think it was more due to my body size than the bike. i have enough of a time handling the bike at a stand still with out added trailer concerns. if i can find it, will let you know, may have tossed it when we moved here .

the trailer i used was just a modified light frame trailer from home depot, with 45 degree neck on 6 inch rise,,, same type as used for hauling yard waste behind small kubota tractors. i had just bolted a car top luggage box to it . was ugly , but sold it to my neighbor for three times more than it would ever be worth- he pulls it behind his harley everywhere now ,,, (putz)
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiawrench on November 09, 2006, 10:07:07 PM
i had a drop hitch set up for mine made ,, was mounted at under seat bolt holes and off the rear peg bolt holes- i just had too many problems pulling the trailer-  but i think it was more due to my body size than the bike. i have enough of a time handling the bike at a stand still with out added trailer concerns. if i can find it, will let you know, may have tossed it when we moved here .

the trailer i used was just a modified light frame trailer from home depot, with 45 degree neck on 6 inch rise,,, same type as used for hauling yard waste behind small kubota tractors. i had just bolted a car top luggage box to it . was ugly , but sold it to my neighbor for three times more than it would ever be worth- he pulls it behind his harley everywhere now ,,, (putz)

A Harley pulling a trailer!?!?!  I thought Harleys only go ON trailers?  ;D
David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

NewVisionGuy

hence the nickname "Trailor Queens"  perhaps....

vavision

I've heard of guys buying an 80-100 dollar trailer from harbor freight and putting a sears car roof carrier on top with good results.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

NewVisionGuy

kiawrench

Zore---- am sorry to do this,,,, but the meds i am on right now demand it---

the picture makes it look like you have to inflate the ducati prior to use   say it isnt so!!!

can tell that is actually a frosty beverage of non soda pop type,,,, but go back and look at the pic,,,, lol   just looks like you are inflating it through the right side grip,,,,    roflmao

hmmm am starting to like this demerol stuff,,,,,,,,,,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .