News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Anyone tried electric hand warmer grips?

Started by Cdnlouie, November 17, 2003, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdnlouie

Brrrrrrr!   :o  It's getting cold up here and I am thinking that since the Vision is my Ice-bike for as long as the snow stays away here, I should think about putting some hand warmer grips on.  That way I can honestly smile at car drivers in Toronto traffic.

Has anyone used a set and can our charging/battery system can carry the load?

Louie

kiawrench

http://www.weatheraffects.com/6301.htm
  this is the online addy for a very good set of heated gloves
it isnt as nice as a bmw vest/jacket/glove /controller set up , but then the gloves dont cost 397.00 US
   The gloves are @ 35.00 US and last two to three years under normal use. i have a set with wal mart rechargeable batteries, i use mainly for hunting , but wont hesitate to use them for riding if the snow flies here this year .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

I use an insulated pair of riding gloves , with long gaunlets. I also have a pair of "hippo hands" that are intended for ATV's and snow mobiles. My old, arthritic hands , stay toasty warm.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

Looks like our charging system might have only 4-5 spare amps so it would depend on the watt rating of the grips. 60 watts total would probably be about it. Any more would probably drain the battery. May be ok if you put a charger on it when you aren't riding. Do you have a battery/generator monitor on your bike?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Paul_Jungnitsch

I've run the 'wrap on' electric grips warmers from Aerostitch and an electric vest for years and have had no problems. They are both extremely handy even in the summer early in the morning or in the rain. No battery or stator problems in the last 50,000 km and the bike always starts fine.

So I assume whatever they draw it isn't much.

Cdnlouie

I found the Aerostitch site with the wrap grips you were describing. ?They have a good selection of stuff here with appropriate electrical ratings.  These should all work on the Vision.

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

If these work for you in Saskatcehwan they will work for anyone.

Thanks for the feedback.

Louie

Walt_M.

22 watts for the grip wraps, 45 watts for the vest, 67 watts total. Wonder if there is another 45 watts left for a passenger's vest?
Whale oil beef hooked!