can't get the stator/case cover off

Started by reckon, April 10, 2007, 06:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reckon

looks like hillbilly previous V owner used some kind of glue (god I hope it isn't JB-Weld :o  ) to seal the left side case cover (stator side), trouble is it still leaks, because he forgot to use the grommet for where the wires come through the case.

with NO grommet/seal at the wires, so it leaks oil like a 57 harley,...ok WORSE than a 67 harley

I tried to remove the cover when I did the starter,.....no good , and I just tried again, using every trick I know, and a few I just made up,...except wedging something between the covers and prying, which my motorcycling technical religion will not allow.

so what I do?

anyone?
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Kevin

The usual, rubber mallet. gentle prying, You might remove the starter and insert a wood rod through the hole and tap on the inside of the cover.

MotorPlow

What about some sort of heat source on the bead of "some sort of glue" and then whack the sides of the cover with the rubber mallet?

Lucky

Keep in mind, those flywheel magnets are holding that cover in place too, pretty strong stuff.
yup, shock that puppy with either a big rubber mallot, or a 3lb-er & block of wood.  careful & gentile prying is not verboten in this case, just use care...

I cannot understand how someone could not reinstall those grommets, although they are hard to see without pulling the cover.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Quote from: MotorPlow on April 10, 2007, 07:51:24 PM
What about some sort of heat source on the bead of "some sort of glue" and then whack the sides of the cover with the rubber mallet?

Reckon,
              I agree with MP. The glue is going to breakdown around 350/375 F. Heat until spit skitters, like Grandma did the pancake griddle.
;)
Coil

GT @ oh.

I used the pry points(a recess in the case and block) at the front of the case to get mine lose

reckon

Quote from: GT @ oh. on April 11, 2007, 05:55:14 PM
I used the pry points(a recess in the case and block) at the front of the case to get mine lose

when I did that I saw the case cover actually flexing, and the pry bar was bending slightly, so I got paranoid, not wanting to crack the cover (even though my welder friend can TIG weld a beer can) and backed off and tried a few other things.

I like the "remove starter and tap with soft object" idea, that and the heat should do it.

as far as the "I can't imagine installing that cover without a grommet", you have to understand this is a person that probably spent three hours making a headlight "fuse" out of aluminum foil, and twisting it on with bailing wire and super glue, instead of just installing in inline "clip in" fuse holder, that took me all of 3 minutes,....there are more places where I just went "what was he thinking?!?!" but now I just expect the worst.

all thats left on the priority repairs is that oil leak,...everything else is buttoned up, thanks guys, I'll let you know how it came out

kiawrench

reckon,, the magnet power of our charging system is unbelievable-- look closely around the cover, be sure bolts are out, try the tap from inside method, but you may end up using two prybars ,on opposite ends of the cover to get it loose. once it is off, removing the "flywheel" will be the next challenge, i think someone designed that to remove fingers from the start- a good quality gear puller and a 2 lb hammer will get it off - just use a cardboard box and a lot of towels to catch everything when it pops off- it will "jump" 6 to 12 inches when it pops loose, scattering all the little parts as it goes
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

reckon

Quote from: kiawrench on April 12, 2007, 01:06:54 PM
reckon,, the magnet power of our charging system is unbelievable-- look closely around the cover, be sure bolts are out, try the tap from inside method, but you may end up using two prybars ,on opposite ends of the cover to get it loose. once it is off, removing the "flywheel" will be the next challenge, i think someone designed that to remove fingers from the start- a good quality gear puller and a 2 lb hammer will get it off - just use a cardboard box and a lot of towels to catch everything when it pops off- it will "jump" 6 to 12 inches when it pops loose, scattering all the little parts as it goes

thanks for the tip,....I just need to get in there and cap that leak,...the charging system still checks out very good (cross fingers, knock on wood, while skipping through 4 leaf clovers) but NOT being able to get in here to fix the leak is frustrating.

I'll have another go at it this weekend

supervision

her's an idea, make a piece that can screw to the small threads that hold the crank nut cover, drill a hole in the center, next take that backoff, and weld a nut to that piece then remount the  piece and use a bolt to push against the crank, tighten it up and see if you can brake it lose
" border="0

jasonm.

I would find the spot where it is obviously "stuck". By prying and sliding a piece of paper around. Sounds like it's stuck where the grommet should be. If that's the spot Just heat that spot....Yes you'll be wasting your stator and pick up wires. Then-After you get things apart.Those wires can be soldered and sealed inside the cases with Permatex ultra.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules