First ride 03-05-08 let the commute begin

Started by zore, March 05, 2008, 07:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

I'd also suggest you check teh floats.  Even when i let mine sit on prime, it doesn't leak.  Might have dirt in the float valve, misadjusted float, or a float that well, dont float.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Quote from: 67GTO on March 08, 2008, 06:43:55 PM
So... let me get this straight, you have two problems. A float that's stuck and the petcock is leaking ???

My petcock is fine.  Just have a stuck or misadjusted float.  Although it did not leak last year.  May be time for another carb baptism.  I have been somewhat sinful lately. :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Zore,
I was on ROV at work the other day and one of my co-workers saw the picture of your daughter on the bike.  She absolutely loves it.  ;D

David

Night Vision

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 08, 2008, 08:24:28 PM
So... let me get this straight, you have two problems. A float that's stuck and the petcock is leaking ???

My petcock is fine.  Just have a stuck or misadjusted float.  Although it did not leak last year.  May be time for another carb baptism.  I have been somewhat sinful lately. :o

David

you petcock is NOT fine.
When the petcock is left in the run postion, carbs should not overflow.
When the petcock is left in the prime postion, carbs should not overflow. 

you have two problems there, buckeroo

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Believe it or not, gas leaking on the floor isn't the worst  problem in this situation. There's every possibility that gas is also leaking into the engine and ending up in the crankcase. Gas in the oil will wipe out an engine in no time. I like Q's solution of adding a second in line valve, more and more.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on March 08, 2008, 09:58:14 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 08, 2008, 08:24:28 PM

David

you petcock is NOT fine.
When the petcock is left in the run postion, carbs should not overflow.
When the petcock is left in the prime postion, carbs should not overflow. 

you have two problems there, buckeroo

Ok, I understand now.  With the bike off, the petcock gets no vacuum so it SHOULD NOT allow fuel to flow to the carbs.  Apparently with it set to Run, Prime and RES, it still allows fuel to flow.  The quick fix will be Lucky's inline cutoff he got me.
Ricks comment about gas in the crank case worries me.  I will check the oil ASAP.  I guess the first and easy way is just to check the oil level.  If its above the sight glass, tehn I may have a probelm.
The funny thing is, this is the BEST YJ has run yet...Easy starts, no bog and a whoopa$$ amount of power.  I guess I pi$$ed off a few gremlins by posting that YJ's restoration project was oficially complete. :o

Thaks for the tips and help guys.  ;D
David

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on March 09, 2008, 12:42:42 AM

I like Q's solution of adding a second in line valve, more and more.

same here... cheap insurance. and since I run a longer loop of fuel line anyway, I'd have plenty of room.
;D

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on March 09, 2008, 11:36:11 PM
Hows your drain screw orings?

Good point, didn't think of that either.  Hopefully their in better shape than the drain screws.  Those things a piecse of carp.

David

Lucky

mmmmm...Carp...
now where's that Homer smiley
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 10, 2008, 05:37:18 AM
Quote from: inanecathode on March 09, 2008, 11:36:11 PM
Hows your drain screw orings?

Good point, didn't think of that either.  Hopefully their in better shape than the drain screws.  Those things a piecse of carp.

David

Both the screws and the orings have to be absolutely flawless or the carbs *will* leak.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

tben

If you unhook the fuel line from your tank the petcock should only allow fuel out on the "Pri" setting. Both "Run" and "Res" need the vacum affect. Mine leeked like a seive when I first got it and I was tracking down a rebuild kit for it when I noticed something. Whoever had rebuilt it before me had put the wavy washer directly on top of the 4 leaf clover oring and under the toggle. As soon as I put it in the right place on top of the toggle I had no more leaks. ;D Also I rember reading a tip that said if your 4 leaf oring is shot just flip it over cause the back side is probably still good.

I have also had fuel leak out of the overflows on my carbs. The fix was a few sharp raps on the bowls with the back end of a screw driver. No more overflow.

good luck, hopefully some of this can save you some more extensive work.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on March 10, 2008, 06:07:51 AM
mmmmm...Carp...
now where's that Homer smiley

heh heh heh it was 5:3AM and I hadn't had my coffee yet.  lol

David

kwells

yeh...once u fix your petcock you at least can limit any loss of fuel.  Even an inline petcock wont prevent the bowls from emptying onto the ground.  If your float needles are sticking...I'd be thinking replacement or get them unstuck....
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Carp is good , its a trash fish  and could be refered to as crap, too! ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kwells on March 10, 2008, 01:50:11 PM
yeh...once u fix your petcock you at least can limit any loss of fuel.  Even an inline petcock wont prevent the bowls from emptying onto the ground.  If your float needles are sticking...I'd be thinking replacement or get them unstuck....

I think it may be the petcock because now that I have visegripped the hose closed, it doesn't leak.  So, it may be a combination of leaky petcock (that somehow sounds bad), and a stuck float.  Sounds like I need a does of Flomax and a plumber.  :o

David

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on March 10, 2008, 02:12:56 PM
Carp is good , its a trash fish  and could be refered to as crap, too! ;D

Not as good as three-day-old sun dried possum though.

David

Night Vision

got my in-line shut offs today at Advanced Auto (small engine section) $3.94 +TX
got the only two at one store, raided another for the other one I needed (update x 3V's)
they just started carrying them...
;D

YellowJacket!

Back to the "first ride of the season".  ;D

Im off work for the next three days and its supposed to be sunny and in the upper 60's.  I have a test to take tomorrow but after that, Its an all day ride day for me.  Lucky and I are gonna try to hook up on wed and go for a ride then too.  If friday and the weekend are nice, I'll ride to work then and prob the rest of the year.  Gonna try to get some wet weather gear too.

David