News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

would like your input

Started by Lucky, March 10, 2008, 07:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which do you like better?

smoothed out, all the lights in the red section
4 (30.8%)
the "Snake Eye's" look cool
3 (23.1%)
underneath is cleaner
4 (30.8%)
the whole thing is silly
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: March 13, 2008, 07:20:19 PM

Lucky

I bought these LED side markers to play with on the clearance wall at Walmart.  they could work as additional turn signals or running lights. the first pic is the smoothed out grab handle section, the 2nd-4th pics are the lights sitting in the top voids from the handles, the last pic is an alternative spot underneath (i just had to hold it there)

the hole in the center top will be filled in as well as the grab handle voids that aren't used.  also, try to imagine it one color, primer (for now) or silver..

only 3 days to vote, but opinions allways welcome!
Thanks, --Lucky

</img>
</img>
</img>
</img>
</img>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

chimera

Hey that's looking better already. I don't think the amber lights on top work. Looks kinda like a frog. They look better underneath, but having the turn signals so close together might not be the safest approach. You could get new lights on stalks. I used these on my project bike:http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A4557746.  They aren't very noticeable, and work great.
Every tool is a hammer, except screwdrivers, those are chisels.
                         <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/meatpopsicle/Bike/ ">-The other bike build-</A>

Night Vision

umm... don't the lower mounting points on the handle also help hold the tail piece on? or are you attaching from the inside?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:-\...as do the top mounting points, (for the handle), also help hold the tail section in place...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

yup, those attaching points have been modified: nutserts imbeded into the lower points, studs will be in 2 of the the upper points.  the frame nuts will be drilled out & nuts & bolts used underneath.  :D

Cdnlouie

Go for the clean look.  No additional lights.  ;)  It will look real nice without adding anything to the back.
What's the term....."less is more".

Lucky

that's been my original intent, but there's something about those 'eye's... don't know if i just like it, if it strikes me 'cause it's goofy, or what..  might just be the fact that it looks like something...

vadasz1

The third pic looks like it would be smiling at you as you get passed by this Vision. 

Did I just say a Vision was able to pass something................ ::) :P
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Paint it green and purple.....  It'll look like Barney!!

Sorry Pete, couldn't resist.  But it does look cool.

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on March 10, 2008, 09:45:52 PM
....but there's something about those 'eye's...
..  might just be the fact that it looks like something...

name that toon
;D

Lucky

ok NV, i thought i was the one going off the deep end...

you know, there was a time when i had my Vision just 4 days, that i wanted to flame it...  ::)

Lucky

Ok, i think i know why it looks familiar....
i'm gonna have Kukla, Fran and Ollie nightmares for weeks!

Rick G

Yep, it definatly  looks like Ollie  !   Are you sure you want to  add those?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

yep, Ollie it is! I was close with "Cecil" of Beanie & Cecil
;D

inanecathode

In the dark those turn signals are going to be basically invisible with your brake light on.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

when the vision was built and for some years before, the law (CA. FED. who knows) required  turn signals on a bike to be at least 9 inches  from centre . The ones that came in 1959 were tiny versions of the bullet shaped ones  and were mounted right on the bike, no stalk
Twice,  the long stalk, gawkie turn signals have saved mine from further distruction . I pulled up in a dirt parking lot , for a bike swap meet , sat. and when I let out the clutch  the rear wheel spun and the v went sideways  and I bailed out, The result was  a clutch lever with the ball broken off and  demolished turn signal  ( I Had the lowers off the fairing , luckily) The turn signal took it all, not a scratch  on anything else.
A customer of mine has me repairing his 73 Honda cb750  and was riding his new bike home from the dealer ship , he hit some gravel and tried to save the bike , resulting in  a broken tib/fib in his left leg . surgery was today, I love my vision ,but I'm not prepared to sacrifice my body for it!! :-\
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

no, me either, but i never think of those stalks as a safety device.
i'm just doing this for fun, my other V is my "business" bike  8) ;)

Lucky

well, the decision has been made:
installed the studs & smoothed out the top.  just poured the final voids with water putty, it should be set up in the morning & sandable tomorrow night.

a comment about "Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty", this gypsum based mixture is very cool, you can make something very thick, like an inch (as far as i've used it) and this stuff sets up very hard.  you could chip it with something, but you can do that with Bondo too,  you can't use bondo very thick.. 
if you've never used it, you might want to pick up a small container to play with.  i've already reccomended it to a customer who was going to use wood putty to fill dings & dents in her stairs.  wood filler would just chip away, this stuff aint going anywhere...

Pics in a day or so..

--Lucky

67GTO

I have used that stuff for years, but only for wood.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV