News:

Main Menu

sunny california!

Started by steve, March 10, 2007, 10:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

my dad had open heart surgery this week which meant i had to go to sacramento today to visit.  the good news is that i got a 2 1/2 hour ride each way in the best weather on the best roads i can imagine!  winter's over and spring has sprung.  the redbud was in bloom and i probably saw several hundred other cyclists out there.  my 82 vision works great except the forks leak so i'll fix that very soon. hope you all made it through the winter! :D

h2olawyer

March in Colorado is a little different.  Last Sunday, I got out for an hour long ride in 60 degree sunny weather.  Today, I skied some definite winter conditions at Winter Park.  Will try to get out for a round of golf this week.  It will be winter in the mountains for another month.  Here along the front range, we will start to have quite a few 60 & 70 degree days but we'll also get the occasional snowstorm.  March is historically our snowiest month.  Will have to really dump on us to outdo December, though.

Hope your dad's surgery was successful & uneventful and that he is recovering on or ahead of schedule.  Any excuse for a good ride works.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Superfly

I agree.  Ca has had some amazing weather.  I got a chance to ride Angeles Crest last weekend, and it was amazing.  Plus, I saw alot of bikes out, so it looks to be a good year!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

No recent rain to speak of, high temps & La Nina is supposed to keep it that way for a while.  Hope you guys out there get some gaps between the fires to do some riding!  Sounds like fire season started eearly this year.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

ah I love the colors of fire season
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Mutt

I'm pretty sure Knoxville is supposed to have weather like ours today. It was 74 here (Raleigh, NC) and sunny yesterday. Today it's supposed to get to 83 and sunny. I'm playing hooky today and taking a long ride! The cherry trees are blooming which is good news. However, the suicide bugs have come out!

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

i'm off today too Mutt, too bad we aren't a bit closer.  we might get a droplet or two later. i'm pouring a little concrete today, but should at least get a ride to the store in  ;D (ain't much, but i'll take it)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VisionMeister

Steve,
Please tell what route you took to Sacramento. I'm guessing here, but since Sacramento is in the middle of the flatlands, and you saw hundreds of other bikers, that you came out of San Jose over Mt Hamilton, by the motorcycle junction.
Road and traffic conditions are vital info for the rest of us Californians to make riding plans. Please fill us in with more details.
I'm planning on riding Friday, North through the Shenandoah Valley to Sly Park reservoir and hopefully check out Ice House road. See if the snow has melted off yet.
Will post later.

steve

I live in Lake County (south end of Clear Lake) so I took Hwy 20 east to Hwy 16 to Woodland and followed main street out of Woodland which follows the river right into downtown Sacto.  This is mostly two lane back roads in great condition with gentle curves and light traffic.  One must watch for deer, cows, turkeys (the ones with feathers), and the occasional farm tractor on the road.  Hwy 20 has some herds of elk which can be seen often from the road.    I overhauled my forks and did the same ride again last week.  WOW!  mucho better handling and bump absorbing quality! 

Coil Coyle

State of Jefferson was beautiful weather today too!

I rode Applegate to Evans Creek to Tablerock.

I think I'm finally going to ride the Vision down to Weldon next weekend. I pray the weather holds.

;)
Coil

VisionMeister

Capay Valley and Rumsey Canyon through Woodland to the River Road and on into Sacto. Excellent.
Hwy 20's good also, just a few more cars.
I used this route on a return trip last spring from riding the Coast Hwy and Stewart's Point Rd. We o'nited at Santa Rosa and rode up the Hwy 29 from Calistoga to Lower Lake and back via your route. Did this at the first weekend in May.
I'm jealous.
I was planning to ride last Friday but had to cancel due to a severe bladder infection. Ended up in the emergency room Sunday morning and had a catheter inserted. Now I am tethered to a bag until the Meds are done (10 days).
Definite bummer. Wasn't quite what I was planning on.
Now I really have something to look forward to... riding the V in good health again.

Ron_McCoy

Definite bummer indeed!  Hope you have a quick and complete recovery.  It is riding time and no time to be too ill to ride the V.

Ron

Lucky

ok, so just wear chaps, & if someone turns left in front of you, throw the bag at them!

that one really sucks, hope you feel better soon!
--Lucky

supervision

Keep the bag, it's good for long distance riding... 
" border="0

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Didn't know you were an astronaut.   ;D ;D

H2O

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

VisionMeister

For Sale: one slightly used bag and cathater setup. Like new. I just don't need it anymore. Good for Iron Butt Rallies. Make offer.

Actually I wouldn't wish what I just went through on anyone (except maybe OBL).

I'm free to ride again!

Coil Coyle

Quote from: VisionMeister on March 30, 2007, 10:42:17 AM
For Sale: one slightly used bag and cathater setup. Like new. I just don't need it anymore. Good for Iron Butt Rallies. Make offer.

Actually I wouldn't wish what I just went through on anyone (except maybe OBL).

I'm free to ride again!

SV, You have my sympathy. I've avoided the need to date but I cringed every time I had to Catheterize my Dad. I hope you never have to go through that again. My Father in law begged me to remove his and I wouldn't, hope he has forgiven me.
:'(
Coil

Lucky

ok, Coil, we now know waaay too much about you, & BTW, i circumcised my son (true) so i win..  :o

Coil & I warned our familys not to touch our bikes....