News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

HOT!

Started by Ron_McCoy, July 05, 2007, 11:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron_McCoy

Rode home 45 miles from work today in 111 degree heat.  Last 15 miles were 3000 ft. elevation gain.  Needle on the temp gauge had one needle width of green left.  Ran great !

Boy was I glad to get home!   :) :) :)

steve

it was 110 at 5pm at our house today!  the good news is that I wasn't there!  (Clear Lake, Ca.)  I did add a very inexpensive switch to my fan so I can turn it on when climbing long hills in the heat or when stuck in traffic in the heat.  It really is nice on hot summer days here!  Steve :P

kwells

dang you guys have some serious heat going on out there.  We've reached 101 once I think and I headed back up to WP for some cool 80s.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

Big RED puts out some serious heat!  good thing he goes down for the evening
" border="0

Coil Coyle

Ron,
        I rode in 100 degree heat today and it was all I could handle. It made me recall why I moved to redwood country for the last ten years.

Back in a valley again... :P  I had to remember to start drinking the water I need tomorrow yesterday.

Riding the Valley between 2 and 4 AM just can't be beat in that kind of weather.
;)
Coil

supervision

Just looked at my temp outside,  80  at 4:43 AM    looks like were in for a warm one
" border="0

supervision

Your right Coil, have to start pouring in the water, ahead of time
" border="0

glennw

That's why I like the beach... ;) Might be 80 today!
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Brian Moffet

It's foggy here.  And 54 degrees at 8:30 am.

Just so you know  ;D

Ron_McCoy

Brian Moffet

Just saw the forecast, take care out there.  Drink lots of fluids, etc...  110+ is nothing to forget about.

Brian

h2olawyer

And here I am complaining at our string of temps from 95 to 100!  Stay hydrated.  Looks like a long stretch of hot weather for much of the Western US.  Sure glad I had central AC installed a couple years ago!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

It's fiiiiiine up here :D might even hit 85 today!!!!  :o :o :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Yeah - like 85 is normal for 9,000 ft.!  Still, it's better than much of the rest of the West.  Temp on the North side of my house (in a well protected, shady spot) shows 90.9 @ 1:30PM MDT.  Should see over 95 in another hour or so.  Don't see any clouds to cut the heat at all today.  Wish I could get up to Trail Ridge Road for some cooler riding this afternoon!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

dont forget to pick up your parks pass
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Superfly

Hey Ron... Get out of the High Desert!
(I really cant speak.. I live in the Valley!)
::)

I know what you mean... I was riding home yesterday after work, going up the 405n to the 101, and as soon as I got out of the westside and hit the valley, I swear it was like someone put a heater right on me!  Therm. on the bike was reading 112!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Ron_McCoy

OK, I guess I kind of jumped the gun on saying it was hot yesterday. I rode the ST1300 down to Bakersfield to work today with its digital thermometer.  When I left work, the national weather service website said it was 110 degrees and my thermometer agreed. As I neared the Eastern edge of town, it was reading 113 and climbed to 115.  A few miles further east it was reading 117 for a couple of miles and then returned to 115 until I started to climb up to Tehachapi where it was 102. This was right at 30 miles of 115 degree riding. It felt like I was being roasted in a convection oven. My shins were so hot it actually felt like they were being burned. I was glad I had my mesh jacket, but I saw a couple of other riders in t-shirts. Fortunately I was able to stay hydrated, but it was still a surreal experience.

Thanks for the advice Pete, but its a lot cooler where live.  Its commuting down to the central valley to work that brings on the heat.  When I leave at 6:00 am is cold enough here to make me shiver until I get out of our valley and start dropping down the hill.

h2olawyer

Man, that's HOT!  We're just 10 degrees above normal, in the upper 90s (F).  For me, it's brutal.  Give me 0 (F) or even lower.  Much easier to get warm than it is to cool off!  Guess growing up where 85 was abnormally warm made me really appreciate cooler weather.

H2O

Ron_McCoy

One more note on yesterday's ride, the temperature gauge on the big Honda had one bar showing when I started it in our covered motorcycle parking area (usually takes a couple of minutes of warm up) and stayed right in the middle the whole ride.

inanecathode

It actually might hit 90 at my house next week by the looks of the forecasts. :o!
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.