News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Sheared off Drain bolt

Started by PwrManDan, August 26, 2012, 12:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on October 29, 2012, 09:35:44 AM
EDIT: never mind, are these the rings Tiger now has for sale?  ???

NO... Ive had mine for a few years 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Oh, ok! Good to know there are still 2 sets still out there...  :)  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

zore

Best thread of 2012 hands down.  Ranks up there with me putting a gas tank in the oven to dry the paint.  The oven door ejected itself.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rikugun

Yikes!  ??? Kinda like the hatch on my cousin's SUV after carrying fuel for generators in the wake of "Sandy".
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

PwrManDan

Quote from: zore on November 27, 2012, 12:20:15 PM
Best thread of 2012 hands down.  Ranks up there with me putting a gas tank in the oven to dry the paint.  The oven door ejected itself.

Not quite sure if I should feel honored or not? :-\

PwrManDan

I am however put back together for the most part.  I am confused on how to get the cams to line up correctly if the sprocket haven't been removed.  In the shop manual it only shows you how to perform this function without them already on.  Does anyone have insight?

I also tried holding the chain guide with my finger like it said and turn the crank by hand, I must be doing something wrong because I couldn't hold that sob in place.  Did I turn too far?

Thanks  everyone

zore

Have you loosened the t chain tensioner ?

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

PwrManDan

Yes, the tensioner is not installed

Jimustanguitar

When I reassembled mine, I didn't take the cam gears off either (impact hammer in a vice wouldn't make them budge, and I decided not to torch them enough for red loctite removal)...

I had one side go together easily, and the other was tighter. As it turns out, the chain had a link doubled up on the bottom side of the gear in the crankcase and I had to rotate the crank while pulling on the chain to work the kinked link out. It's one of those jobs that requires three hands because you have to pull on both chains to keep the other one from getting looped the same way. After that, getting the gear under the chain and the cams in the journal worked just like the other one. It wasn't very difficult to lift the cams out to move the gear a tooth or two either.

I'd make sure that you don't have an extra link in the chain hiding from you.

pinholenz

Our local ebay in New Zealand (Trademe) is listing the following  NOS Yamaha piston ring sets. If anyone is interested in any of these, I am happy to purchase on your behalf and ship them at cost.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=537679323

Cheers, John
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

PwrManDan

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on November 28, 2012, 12:58:17 AM
When I reassembled mine, I didn't take the cam gears off either (impact hammer in a vice wouldn't make them budge, and I decided not to torch them enough for red loctite removal)...

I had one side go together easily, and the other was tighter. As it turns out, the chain had a link doubled up on the bottom side of the gear in the crankcase and I had to rotate the crank while pulling on the chain to work the kinked link out. It's one of those jobs that requires three hands because you have to pull on both chains to keep the other one from getting looped the same way. After that, getting the gear under the chain and the cams in the journal worked just like the other one. It wasn't very difficult to lift the cams out to move the gear a tooth or two either.

I'd make sure that you don't have an extra link in the chain hiding from you.

Thanks Jim, but how do I line up the gears since they are already installed.  Do I align the lobes differently than what the shop manual says?  They have the lobes facing each other, then you rotate, then you install the gears.  Do I just skip the step where the lobes are facing each other and skip the rotate step, and just align the lobes so that they are facing away from each other?

And before I forget, I only have the front cylinder disassembled.  The rear needed no repairs.

zore

Now, I've had to do this on 3 different bikes so memory may be a bit off, but have you loosened up the t-chain tensioner?  Are the marks close?  You may need to get the piston for that cyl to bdc and turn the cam.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Jimustanguitar

Since the gears didn't come off, you don't need to do anything to index them on the cams, that's already done. You do still need to align the gears with the right link in the chain though.

Do steps 6, 8, and 9 starting on page 87 of this guide https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5rMo73UpmHbSS1NUWt6aHJpU1E/edit?pli=1

You can ignore #7 since the gears are already attached. That's the only deviation from how it's written in the manual. In your case, you may have to work backwards and line up the rear cams first, but just turn it 290 the other way and you'll be in the right spot to do the fronts then. If the marks don't line up correctly after everything's in and you've spun it (the "right" direction) a few times, you just have to move the cam chain one tooth at a time until it does.

I don't recall any other "special" steps required, it shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully this is more helpful. Good luck!

PwrManDan

Jim,

Steps 6,8, and 9 worked perfectly, thank you. And thanks to everyone else with their help on this thread, I really appreciate it very much!

I think I had most of it correct except that I think I turned the crank in the wrong direction the first time.  All I know for sure it that it is correct now. 

pinholenz

I have enjoyed following this thread and learned a lot. I'm impressed that you were working on the bike project with your son when he became somewhat enthusiastic with his use of the drill.

What impresses me most though, is that when things went pear shaped, you didn't give up on him or your XZ ! This is the stuff of men and of family legends to be handed down to his grandchildren. PwrManDan, more power to your elbow (- and maybe a bit less power to his?)

Anyone else working on a Vision with their kids?
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Lucky

Yup *sigh*. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black