News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

my first crash

Started by Hartless, September 23, 2010, 05:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

went down tonight for my first time on my way back from my girlfriends house. Hartless is going to be out of commission for a while. not exactly sure what all is broke , but there is for sure a hole in the crank case( tons of oil leakage ), rear brake pedal, front wheel, right handle and front brake lever, turn signal , and headlight and box. not too hurt, few bumps and bruises ( and a couple rocks lodged in my arm) but i will survive.i was doing 30-40 mph coming off of a freeway off-ramp , making a wide right turn , forgot that they were doing roadwork , and have the road cut up , hit the front brake to slow to go over a bump, right on a patch of gravel.no signs warning me about the work or gravel , except for the one that is about 4 feet past the bump i slowed for ( mind you its on a right hand turn with tall grass ).im bummed. gonna go to the doctor tomorrow , my neck hurts.... will tell about condition of bike when i get it home ( guy that lives by where i crashed let me put it in his garage )

RIDE SAFE!!!!! :o
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Lucky

Glad you walked away! bikes can be fixed.. what kind of gear were you wearing?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:o BUMMER... :( As I always say..."Your blessed when you can walk away from ANY motorcycle accident, regardless of fault". Good to know that you walked away buddy... 8)

As much as we love them, Vision's are made of various metals/plastics, etc and can always be fixed/replaced. There are plenty here that can help you out with parts, no worries there... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Woah... Glad YOU aren't leaking any fluids...Get that neck taken care of asap.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Hartless on September 23, 2010, 05:25:23 AM
but there is for sure a hole in the crank case( tons of oil leakage ), rear brake pedal

This could very well be the oil filter housing and nothing else. 

Glad to hear you got away mostly unscathed.

Re-Vision

Try and make it "your last crash" we can help you replace Vision parts.    BDC

h2olawyer

Glad you "walked away"!   :)  A visit to a doc is still a good idea.  Bike parts are fixable / replaceable.   :'(  People parts were never meant to be metal & plastic!  Heal fast & let us know what you need to get back on the road when you are ready.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kenny

Thank God you are O.K.  10 to one your oil leakage is from the Brake lever engaging the side cover, I had this occur when I had my first Vision and managed to seal the crack up by cleaning the area of all traces of oil (I believe I laid the bike over on the opposite side) and used JB Weld in the outside. I road this particular bike for another 35,000 k's with no further leaks, I've often thought of welding a small flat piece of metal to the inner side of the brake pedal pad to spread the force out.
                Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Hartless

well im in the docs office as we speak. looking at my  bike today and it needs the oil filter cap replaced, head and wheel bearings, brake levers, headlight bucket , and maybe a couple small things. not bad at all. i was wearing feildsheer, which sheared up completely lol. didnt hit my head though . thanks for the worry guys, ill be on my bike soon.

Hartless

just sprained my neck a little and scraped up my arm. im all goo

Hartless

anyone have , or know where to get some head bearings , and wheel bearings? also need a new rear brake pedal and oil filter cover

Raj1988

I'll send you a rear brake pedal ... no charge.. get healthy and ride bro!!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) Here you go buddy...

I get all my steering head tapered bearings, wheel bearings, fork seals, brake pads, etc from this company...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-XZ550-1982-1983-Steering-Stem-Bearings-Kit-/120531822910?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1041a93e

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-XZ550-1982-1986-Front-Wheel-Bearings-Kit-/120531891915?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1042b6cb

PM me your address and I'll send you an oil filter cover...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

WOW!! Glad you walked away! Its really good news that nothing was hurt really bad, and not on the bike, either. Best of luck getting the both of you back together 100%!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Indy1K

Hey Hartless,
Glad you are ok. Bike can be fixed easier that people. I have an extra Headlight assy with bezel but no bucket. If you want it, it's yours. I also repaired the bucket on mine with some spare plastic and body filler reinforced with fiberglass. Worked out great!

Be well, Ride safe!
Kev
"That's It!

Indy1K
82 XZ550 nasty sick green, built from junk
2 83 CB1000 customs, both are broke