News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

YICS & flapper

Started by Kid Jedi, April 08, 2009, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

I think they were just trying to keep the horsepower down  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

I think Kids got a good idea.  One day, parts won't be available for these bikes...will they last that long? Having an alternative to carbs may be a good idea and, it never hurts to try...well...unless the fuel injection blows up....

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I rode a friends SV650 , brakes were good (I was still using a singe disk then)  handling great,  foot pegs way too high and too far back . Didn't like the bars ,(but there easy to change)  The chain is a insurmountable problem. The fairing was a poor excuse compared to the '83 Vision fairing.
That's why I ride a Vision , there is no modern replacement for it . Too many half baked cruisers and over whelming , race replica sport bikes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Amen to what rick said:

"foot pegs way too high and too far back . Didn't like the bars ,(but there easy to change)  The chain is a insurmountable problem. The fairing was a poor excuse compared to the '83 Vision fairing.
That's why I ride a Vision , there is no modern replacement for it . Too many half baked cruisers and over whelming , race replica sport bikes."

akvision

I guess I just lucked out. 
There it was in a salvage yard... Lost and  forlorn .
I jumped on it flat tires and all, and said,  "rhpaw, this feels right, I like it, he said so, make an offer, I will get it going for you pop. 
A short sorty of a Vision come true. Buzz is born!
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

funkamongus

I hear shes coming along well!! Mine is going ok,, starter is slow,, Im guessing oil, should have one coming!! wink wink!! got a flat spot around 4k, Im thinking diaphragm on fuel pump, or it needs cleaning.. battery doesnt seem to be charging now either,, weird,, I think my meter is suspect,, time for a new one...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

akvision

I just send off a reminder to "rhpaw".  He will get on it.

I just got my Tim Parrott "built in the USA" stator this week.  Looks pretty good and he has a good policy of standing behind his work.
If you have a core to return the total cost with shipping both ways is just under $100.   A decent deal.  Mine is working fine, I just wanted a spare as insurance.  I plan to put some mile on this bike and don't want to fail in the way back out of the way wilds where gas is often spaced at 100+ miles per stop.

We are all following your progress and work.  You better get a job though, for a smart guy and a skilled home wrencher, I am sure you are a MR. FIXER.    Your attitude will carry you a long way.

akV
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

funkamongus

thank you!! Sounds like a pretty good deal for the stator,, Im sure Ill be in that line too soon enough!!!  I DO need a job,, anyone hiring?!?!?!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kid Jedi

to tune the bike to run w/o yics and flapper is 375. fudge that. i am gonna get a before dyno run, showing mixture, torque and horse power then one after the fuel injection. injection will not have Yics so unless some one wants to sponser me the retuning $ this question will go largely un-answered.
Loves to over think things.

Rick G

Just bear in mind , Kid, that the new HD XR1200 , with its 50mm throttle body also has a flapper on the air box inlet.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kid Jedi

Quote from: Rick G on May 01, 2009, 03:59:49 PM
Just bear in mind , Kid, that the new HD XR1200 , with its 50mm throttle body also has a flapper on the air box inlet.

Do you really think Harley has done anything innovative (or even intelligent ::)) in the last 30 years? (except out sourcing there wiring to japan.  ;D) True harley was a industry leader in the 30s up until amf bought em but that was along time ago

That flapper is there for emissions control There is no question about that. Talk to some one in the 100hp harley club and thats the first thing they remove.

And my opinion of Harley: Good bikes. but you are buying a name, not much more. but for that much money you would hope to gat a great bike.

The Prophet of Doom

I always thought the flapper was to speen up vacuum recovery when you crack the throttle wide open in a bg hurry.

I if I do this on mine (with uses pod filters and no flapper)  the bike just dies for a second or two where it never did this on the others.  As long as I open the throttle in a managed way it builds very strongly right through to redline.  I think it's way better than stock, but not as retard friendly.  It certainly sounds better.  The trouble is I really have no idea what's going on in the engine so can't tell if it's fixable.  There are two ways I know of to do this other than plug chops. 

One is to dyno it, and jet for maximum power, the other is to get your headers drilled for 02 sensors and jet for optimal burn.  While it's fun to have a dyno printout to show your friends on ROV, the dyno is dead money since as soon as you touch the carbs the results are useless.  O2 sensors will still work after fiddling or even bolting on a megasquirt  they also work in real-life riding.  You don't need fancy gauges, an multimeter will do the trick.

O2 sensors are my next winder project

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 01, 2009, 06:49:08 PM
Quote from: Rick G on May 01, 2009, 03:59:49 PM

Do you really think Harley has done anything innovative (or even intelligent ::)) in the last 30 years? (except out sourcing there wiring to japan.  ;D) True harley was a industry leader in the 30s up until amf bought em but that was along time ago

That flapper is there for emissions control There is no question about that. Talk to some one in the 100hp harley club and thats the first thing they remove.

And my opinion of Harley: Good bikes. but you are buying a name, not much more. but for that much money you would hope to gat a great bike.

Do you actually know anything about harley davidson bikes, or the company, or the history or are you just copy pasting crotch rocket anti-harley propaganda without actually knowing what you're saying?

Do you really think they'res just some room of fat dudes with giant cigars chortling over choosing to stick with a cam in block design just because they're lazy and greedy? Do you really think they've stayed with air cooled just because they're dumb and dont know how to design a water pump?

Gimme a break, they're an industry leader for a reason and its not because they're stupid and lazy and the public knows nothing about bikes.

And for the fifth or sixth time, vacuum solenoid blockage devices arent for emissions, they're for hard off idle velocity issues you get with having a giant carburetor operating at relatively slow speeds.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Kid, I don't know what imbecile  has been feeding you the BS about the flapper being, "for emissions control" But there full of $hite and do not know there A$$ from a hole in the ground !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of hot rod types only know max horse power and don't know crap about drivability.
Rick G

Coil Coyle

Rick,
That "e" on the end of Sh*t is a dead give away that you are a Canadian.

;D
Coil

Rick G

You missed the red and white flag? ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Its a polite spelling .
Rick G

Walt_M.

Rick, I understand your frustration at seeing incorrect information about the YICS and airbox flapper. At this point I really don't care if these fine folks want to screw up their bikes in the name of ignorance. It hurts me not one bit, in fact I find it amusing. I still think Kid will have his totally screwed up by August.
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: inanecathode on May 01, 2009, 11:44:17 PM

And for the fifth or sixth time, vacuum solenoid blockage devices arent for emissions, they're for hard off idle velocity issues you get with having a giant carburetor operating at relatively slow speeds.
I find myself agreeing with inane - the world must have ended !!! :P

Rick G

The reason I came on so strong,,( believe me , I can do even better) is that this bogus information becomes part of the forum archives and future visionaries will have to sort it out. Best it be quashed asap , in the intrest of preserving a correct record.
Rick G

Kid Jedi

inane I know more about Harley than i would like to admit. just yesterday i had the fun job of fixing a bottom end on a Harley 883 sportster that had gone 15K on conventional oil with out an oil change. I have taken these bikes apart and put them back together. Its just depressing to see a 2002 with less innovation than an 82 VF700 interceptor (one of my bikes)