XZ400 cams in a 550

Started by kwells, May 24, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Anyone know if there are differences in the cam length or thickness of the body? I haven't torn into my spare motor to test fit the cams and was gonna see if anyone has swapped them in. I realize the lobes are probably different.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

The Prophet of Doom

This doesn't answer your question about length but does have lobe comparison

QBS

What would be the performance differences in a 550 running 400 cams, or even running a 550 with 400 intake cams only or 400 exhaust cams only?  More low end torque or high end power or what?  No doubt not enough data to make any conclusions, still interesting conjectures.

Rikugun

I don't know about the length but using Roro's supplied specs it appears the journals are the same for the 400 and 550. The exhaust cam profiles appear to be the same too. The 400 intake lobes however, appear to have less lift.

What's missing is duration and ramp profile info. I noticed for instance not only is the base smaller but the lift as well and I'm not sure how this effects the ramp and duration profile. I suppose if those were of the proper design combined with less lift, torque might be moved down the rev scale a bit at the expense of max HP at higher RPM. So conceivably if you went the other way and put the 550 intake cam in a 400, you might get a bit more high RPM performance at the expense of low/midrange? Do both motors have a 10k redline?

Obviously the 2 engines aren't of equal displacement and flow through the heads are different so this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.  :)  :P

As a side note, the German lower power 11V motor (50PS vs. 64PS) has a similar intake lift to that of the 400.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Thank you Rik, for those observations.