Oil Level Question

Started by Kiwi, December 23, 2009, 09:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armored_Hearse

Out of curiosity, has anyone use Lucas oil? Just wondering as I have a good source to get it at a slightly lower price than retail.
I use it in my HD, but just curious if the clutch and stator are happy with it. I used Yamalube just to be safe this time.

jasonm.

"SO.. 33.45 for a gallon of amsoil plus shipping."
  I suspect that's 4 individual quarts. Now the big question ...what's the shipping cost across to the East coast where I am? and not far from NYC. I suspect more than $10.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

funkamongus

Actually, they drop ship, from different places, Im told. Let me verify that. I would guess if thats the deal they have one over here and one over there at least. 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

funkamongus

THey drop ship from lancaster Pz for there.. they have lots of places.. but ,, this is the thing.. you found it for  (im rounding off) 10 to 11.. the gal is 32+..... so at 7 the shipping is starting to eat into the savings. My friend just told me its 9 something to send a gallon.. It appears there are no savings.. SO I emailed him with these numbers.. "there appears to be no savings over going to the store and picking it up for too much money off the shelf.". I have not heard back yet, this only happened this morning. 
I own:

vadasz1

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/mcy/1576206472.html

This guy has some leftover from the motorcycle show here in Mississauga.  If anyone local wants it see if he will come down in price.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

funkamongus

not a bad price to pick it up.. I wonder if it is really as good as Ive read it is.. and not only from amsoil, from other places, too...
I own:

akvision

So you want to know about oil...  ::)
This guy spent a lot of time studying this...

just read this, and you will be somewhat enlightened. (ignore the Beemer stuff) :police:

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html
:) :) :)
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

funkamongus

Thanks AK.. just from reading your post Im expecting a large read.. lemme get my glasses....
I own:

fret not

So, from that we get lots of charts and comparisons of additive packages for the various oils, but I want results of testing, not comparison of ingredient lists.  How are we to know which is better or which ones don't provide "enough" protection?  Or do they all provide adequate protection and some have more protection in specific areas, such as neutralizing corrosives?  Which ones are suitable for the V?  And of course, which ones are NOT suitable?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

Download the complete white paper and you can compare the various oils for about everything imaginable.  Its a lot more recent than the beemer stuff.

https://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

BDC

funkamongus

I read, well, "perused" it, and found amsoil was, far and beyond, better..but it was BY amsoil!! lol and I wanted more outside opinion!!!   
I own:

Re-Vision

Only thing that concerned me about it being an  Amsoil paper was the part where they compared their oil with only a few of the poorer oils in the Wet Clutch Compatability tests( page 22).  Looks like if there were a better oil out there, some oil company would make claims on the internet.   BDC

funkamongus

havent seen any claims... sure is pricey.. one side of me says It has to be better, it costs more..  then theres the other side of me that has seen 130 brake hoses that I purchased new for 70. and I think, for 130 that guys can retire,,but people do it. Bottom line, hellifino. 
I own:

Re-Vision

I've found a local supplier of Amsoil and I'm going to give it a try, $10.99 a quart. The guy who priced the oil to me said he used Amsoil in his $14k Harley. He told me this story about Harley not honoring warranty repair work for riders using Amsoil, said it wasn't as good as the oil they recommended using.  Amsoil sued them, proved their oil was better and won the suit.   BDC

fret not

Well, second hand accounts may be true, or not.  Having worked in the retail business for a good while has given me a perspective of people selling something.  It takes all kinds, but lab tests or fleet tests can offer valid comparative information. 

In the distant past there was a lot less technical information available to the public, and to the industry for that matter, because much of it didn't exist then.  Oil came in a few viscosities and that was pretty much all we needed to know.  Today we have lots of really high tech industrial activity and some of that rubs off onto the motorcycle world.  New alloys engineered for strength, expansion, hardness, or a number of other qualities, get put into service where the limits of their qualities may at some time be tested.  How hot does your oil REALLY get as it bathes the cam shaft or the stator?  What IS the hottest spot in the motor?  How long can the oil hold up before it loses it's protective qualities?  Mostly we operate within the safe limits of our equipment but it would be nice to know if my motorcycle will be more likely to run for 10,000 miles or 100,000 depending on which oil I use.  Yeah, I know, just keep it tuned and don't flog it too hard and it should be fine with whatever oil is used.   Maybe. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

I researched the Harley story and it appears to be true ( Don't know about the law suit). I don't want to sound like a salesman for Amsoil but they say their oil is good for 25,000 miles before change is necessary.   BDC

Tiger

:) Me, I'll stay with plain, old, tried and trusted... Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil. Castrol dino' oils have never let me down...bikes, cars, snowmobiles, etc...EVER!!!

Synthetic oils can find their way past seals on vehicles...like Visions...that have been neglected and laid up for many years...at least, initially, run your Vision on a regular oil before switching up to synthetic, if that is what you want to run with.

Change your oil AND filter on a regular basis and you will not have any problems...but use a decent oil and filter ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Most likely none of them will let you down but I want the one that will extend the life of my bike the farthest, I've used Castrol for many years and still would if I thought they were the best. Definitely going with a synthetic oil and it will be either Mobil 1 V-Twin (#2) or Amsoil (#1).  The synthetic oil from Castrol that was tested was Castrol V-Twin, it came in #14 out of the 17 oils compared.   BDC

funkamongus

Im using castrol now, nothing wrong with it. Id like to save the most money possible.. all factors included.. miles between changes, engine wear, oil hang time.. I think I'll buy amsoil but I'll do it once a year, and get all my years stuff at once,, that way it makes shipping worth it. Im also going to, and anyone can, go to their site and sign up for "special buyer" or something its called 20 bucks, then wait 30 days, go another 10 and get my prices down. If I combine shipping for all my stuff at once, it makes sense. They sell all kinds of stuff too so Ill be looking at more.. Their 2 stroke oil is supposed to be better than the redline racing oil Im using.. for an 1982 motocross racing bike Id like to pamper it a bit. Seems like thats the only way to make i make sense because its so damn expensive.
I own:

jasonm.

Quote from: Re-Vision on January 30, 2010, 03:08:27 PM
I've found a local supplier of Amsoil and I'm going to give it a try, $10.99 a quart. The guy who priced the oil to me said he used Amsoil in his $14k Harley. He told me this story about Harley not honoring warranty repair work for riders using Amsoil, said it wasn't as good as the oil they recommended using.  Amsoil sued them, proved their oil was better and won the suit.   BDC
That's a potential law suit to the Dealer. Harley cannot force you to by THEIR oil. There is a fedral law. That NO manufacturer can force you to use THEIR consumable parts..aka oil.  Tell Dealer to put it in writing. Bet they won't. Tiger , I have always used synthetic or semi-synthetics. No oil leaks due to such oils in any bikes have owned. Fact is...synthetics tend to flow easier and thus find any flaws in the gaskets or seals. Which were likely leaking anyway. Jusy not maybe as noticable.  My 87 Venture dyno 93hp @ 65k on the clock. HELLO it's only rated at 97hp. Yes it's stock. Synthetics surely helped it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules