News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Fuel Mileage

Started by zore, March 13, 2008, 02:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

So after riding it to work a few times, I am getting about 41mpg.  That sucks.  My sprint st got near 60, my m900 55.  Even my high strung 675 is doing 48.

For those of you getting 50+mpg, what jets are you using all around.  The more info the better.  Secondly, what exhaust are you running.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

City traffic (San Fran is the city) I'll probably get around 42 - 44 mpg.  Freeway I'll get 50 if I keep it at 65 or under.

Stock jets and exhaust for an 83....

Brian

h2olawyer

My 82 has always run @ 43 MPG.  That's from day 1 when the bike had 13 miles on it as I rode out of the dealer's lot.  I've checked it nearly every tank since then & have had very little change.  It seems to do a little better on long, wide open roads, but I've rarely ridden more than about 20 miles of that type of road in any given tankful.  Always city or mountain roads with very little constant throttle operation.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

i'm about the same as H20
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

Well that kind of stinks.  I guess I'll be riding the monster alot more this year  >:(  I'll see what happens if I slow down a little.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

Quote from: zore on March 13, 2008, 10:27:53 PM
  I'll see what happens if I slow down a little.

you'll fall over...  ::)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Compared to my F-250, the Vision is a real gas miser!  Try filling 38 gallons.   ::)  At least I only put about 4500 - 5000 miles a year on the truck.  Still @ 9 MPG city / 13 MPG hwy, fillups are a real shocker.  Not saying much, but Colorado has recently had among the lowest gas prices in the nation @ $3.09 average for regular.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

From $2.99 to $3.14 for regular up here.

I was amazed that the price in Steamboat a couple weeks ago was within a nickel of Ft. Collins prices.  It's normally at least 20 cents higher up there - and even more in the Vail / Glenwood / Aspen area.  I spent over $3.00 a gallon for regular in Aspen over 15 years ago!

H2O

kwells

the good thing with a 38 gal tank is when u find a good gas deal it's like going to CostCo and you can stock up

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

About $3.75 here for regular. :P

I think mine got about 41 worst in the city, 49 best on highway.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

The $4.50/gal gas this summer will change the average american's mind about their SUV's

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

These high prices, might just be the incentive, we complacent American's need, to pursue our own oil.  Why should we go along with the "price of the barrrell"?   There is no reason we can't be independant from that sence.   If it was on the ballot to vote for oil drilling, don't you think it would pass?   Then their would also be some incentive for the oil company's to grow a little, because they would know we weren't changing to some other type of fuel.  New ideas are fine with me, but I don't think we gave oil, from here, much of a chance. Look where it landed us.  We will do anything to save a dollar, right?  So how come we quit so easy, on our oil supply, and just buy it from the outragious WORLD market
" border="0

kwells

supervision,
I think it is more of a strategic thing for now.  It's hard to get Alaska drilling rights through.  Oil companies dont have the best track records for not trampling the ecology of areas they operate in.  Our oil also costed more than market oil at the time.  I'm sure if WW3 broke out and we were cut from the middle east oil supply it would become priority #1.  A start to independence would probably be to not drive a 12mpg vehicle to commute to work in.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

yeah, our philosophy is to be reactive rather than proactive.  Listened to some of the Bush(it) on TV today.  What a complete idiot.  Sorry for getting political but he has lost complete control over this country.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

Dave,
You're probably right.  Yesterday I got my promise for the free government pay off.  600 bucks and all I have to do is spend it.  hmmm I'd have to say that's a bit ridiculous.
I still say we should impose a gas tax that brings up the price to that of Europe.  It would certainly hurt for a few yrs but we'd be SO better off in the long run.

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

Drill in Mexico, can't hurt nothing down their.   I say people react according to their ability to afford fuel, if the price goes up, their answer is to want a more eficient car. They are too  timid to say their are paying too  much.   I say solve it now, while people are  in the mood.

" border="0

Rick G

As far as I'm  concerned  we should  burn their oil , no matter what the cost.  We had better NOT burn all of ours and be dependant on them for 100% of our  oil, they will then have us by the short hairs!!
If one million commuters, used  small motorcycles to get to work , three days a week, there would be no problem . There would be a gas surplus.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

zore

Well, i guess back to the point, 41mpg isn't really acceptable so I need to figure out how to make this little 550 more efficient.  There are people on here who are claiming they get 50+ and those are the people i want to see speak up here.  If I can get 55 to 60 out of a 904 cc vtwin, I should be able to get that out of a 550 cc vtwin.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rick G

As the saying goes "Your milage may vary"  ;)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike