News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

cause of the oil light problem

Started by Chivo1944, April 17, 2008, 01:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

i believe i have finally figured it out i got the oil pump off and i looked in the oil pick up screen and saw some metal cunks and sludge  and then i decided that since i have a new pump on the way  i wanted to pul the piece off that cover the screen and i saw that nearly the entire screen was cover with a combonation of smal thin pieces of metal, sludge, and crank case sealant i ripped off the screen and will try to get a pic up of it but hopefully this is the problem and the new pump will work cause i wanna ride my bike
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Chivo1944

well here are pics of the shit in my oil pump intake screen i ripped the screen off and pulled it apart so i can show everyone what was in side and i believe that there is enopugh shit in there to restrict the flow of oil enough at low rpm to make the oil light come on what does every one else think
Ben

Coil Coyle

inanecathode

Yikes, thats pretty bad, have you checked your oil filter as well?
Some of that crap looks like RTV, people never know how to use it right i swear...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

joevacc

Wow That looks like the bottom of my fish tank!
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

As far as I'm concerned RTV dosen't belong in any engine , period ! You will never find it in anything I work on. Its the quickest way to destroy an engine.
I'm very concerned about the amount of metal in there. Have you  run a magnet over it ? some of it may be gearbox .  Put it on a sheet of paper and spread it out,  then take a magnafieing glass to it. 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

I was waiting for rick to jump on the rtv :D

Rick G

Glad to oblige  , Inane.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

whats rtv and i rode the bike before i started the sugery on it and it rode well and shifted fine
Ben

Walt_M.

RTV is silicon sealer. Some people, including me, have used it in place of a paper gasket to seal a side case. If you use too much, there will be a bead inside the case that can/will break off and get to the oil pump screen.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Chivo1944

Ben

inanecathode

Room temperature vulcanizing rubber :)

acee125

Thanks for the heads up and the pics. That may be what's wrong with my bike. I haven't looked at the oil pump yet. Is it possible to clean the screen and reuse the oil pump or do you have to get a new one? How hard is it to remove the oil pump?

Thanks,

Rick G

The pumps don't seem to give much trouble , but if you get one of Lucky's Cd's you will know the procedure  to check it out.
You will need to remove the right side engine cover along with the water pump.  There is a seal in there that MUST be replaced, every time the  cover is removed. Again, get Lucky's CD or at least a book.
Rick G

Chivo1944

yea its no problem like rick said you take off the right side cranks case and the thermostat but what i actuall think was the problem was the oil pressure switch if you having the same problem i would reoplace that first
Ben