News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

stator?

Started by bikehandle, November 28, 2004, 01:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikehandle

I have had what I thought was a stator issue. I connected a multimeter across the pos & neg on the batt, and was getting 13.7 at idle and as I increased the rpm the volts would go down to about 13.2 at 5 grand then climb agian a little bit after. the best chargeing was at idle. I changed the R&R and it went down to about 12.9 volts from above at idle. I pulled the stator and checked it and all three legs checked good. no discoloration, no burned spots (I replaced the stator 7 years ago when I restored the bike) the only thing diffrent is I replaced the headlight with a 110 or 120? dont remember witch. so anyway why the low voltage? I thought when the R&R went, the voltage would spike and if it was low voltage it generaly was the stator? It has me baffled? (thoughts)?
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Lucky

Hard to say, best bet is to run the full Elecctrex test, but my first thoughts are either a bad battery, bad ground (how did the black wire at the r/r to wire harness connector look?).

or, if you pulled the stator out, did you check to see if it was grounded to the case first?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikehandle

The stator was grounded to case. and the black wire looks new. the batt was new in july. all connectors are in realy good shape, I clean them every year. I dont understand why the voltage drops with increase of rpm. ???

Superfly

Do the Ohms check on the stator, and make sure you have the 3 readings between 0.5 & 2.0.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Walt_M.

The stator should not be grounded to the case.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Walts right.  There should be no continuity between any of the three stator output wires and the engine side cover that the stator mounts on.  Such continuity indicates a bad stator.

Lucky

Uhh...that's what i said... lol

bikehandle

I understood what Lucky was saying. I was making refrence to testing while in the bike and doing continutiy check. the main frame of the stator would have to get ground to case to work. but thanks anyway.

Extent

no actually, there should be absolutely no contact between the three stator wires and the stator body at all, so whether the body is grounded or not makes no difference.  The body of the stator is not a part of the electrical circuit.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

bikehandle

Yes, thats what I said

Lucky

i'm getting a headache...

bikehandle

Sorry, Lucky.
I was just looking for some help.
Thanks anyway!
Bikehandle

Lucky

Oh I was just playing..

I'm confused about weather you realise that if any of the stator wires have any continuity to ground indicate a short..

of course the stator core itself is grounded, but that is no indication of weather the stator is good...

--Lucky

bikehandle

No continuity to ground on stator wires.First thing checked! I am starting to think it must be the r&r? the highest it charges is at idle, almost 14, then drops off with an increse in rpm down to about 13. then at 5 grand it increses a little.
check me if I am wrong but if one leg was burnd on the stator it would have low voltage at idle but would still increse some with rpm? instead of going the other way?
Hope you understand what I am getting at!
Bikehandle
Could you give me a link to elecctrics flow chart?

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I'll bet you have a bad RR.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bikehandle

Thanks for the help!
I am haveing trouble downloading the electrex chart. this computer is older than dirt and not wanting to do pdf files. It looks like the fates are agianst me on this project!(but then whats new!)
Bikehandle ???

Cdnlouie

You can also do an AC voltage check from your stator to see if it is functioning properly.  Test each of the three wires (while running) to see that output is the same and it will increase with rpm if it is good.  That pretty much confirms the R/R as bad if your AC voltage output is fine.

Louie  :)

bikehandle

Louie, old buddy!
Great Idea! Its coming out in ac?or dc? I know, stupid but I gotta ask. My understanding of electricity ranks up there with my understanding of women and tax forms!
Bikehandle

bikehandle

Sorry!
I cant read either! Duh!