throttle cable?

Started by bikehandle, November 06, 2006, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikehandle

Hi all,
I am in the middle of diping the carbs for the umpteenth time and noticed the throttle cable was fraying, so no problem I pick up the phone and guess what? No longer avaliable! so, my question I have is where in H--L do I find one! I checked Dennis kirk and no go there either!
Bikehandle ???
god, save me from my fondest wish!

ps2/bikevision

check ebay i see them on there alot.

zore

Ps2 you should get a bigger pic of your avatar and put it in your sig.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

Did i start a trend here (or did someone else...?) 8)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on November 06, 2006, 08:16:12 PM
Did i start a trend here (or did someone else...?) 8)

Hey! Thats me behind you! ;D  ;D

David

Oh yeah, to answer the post,  I got a new one for very little on ebay but I also saw some online somewhere too.  I'll go back and see if I have it bookmarked.

D

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

swing down to your local motorcycle hot rodders shop and ask if they can knock one out for you, i replaced my throttle cable and clutch cable for 28.00 this way.

they have some universal cables ,and after they cut to length and crimp the stops on, they work like originals, just smoother. be sure to buy a cable lube kit while you are there,the cables will thank you .

by the way, you may end up there a lot, so be nice, surprising things can be found in a sport bike hot rod shop !!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

zore

I agree, they might be able to just run a new cable thru your existing housing and put some ends on it.  Because it's only a single cable, it should be easy.

As for the images in sigs.  Yes, lucky, you started a new trend.  It's something I was doing on other forums but not here. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Kenny

Yamaha Canada still has 83 throttle cables in stock,I was in luck on my cross country ride as I found a guy in Revelstoke B.C. Who was in to Boats,Snowmachines and Motorbikes,He built one up (inside only cable) in 15 min.
   I noticed you mentioned you had your carbs off for cleaning umpteen times,I've found if you disconnect the throttle cable up on the bar first it puts less stress on the cable when you remove it from the carb end.
  Its after the fact for me but I shall be doing it this way anytime I remove the Carbs.
             Ride Safe Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

kwells

I have my carbs and cables on quick release mechanisms.  Now I just hit the lever on the side and the spring loaded carbs eject out into the chute next to the bike which slides them gently into the ChemDip.

Would be a cool mod though wouldn't it?
;D
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com