News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Need honest opinions please

Started by hfarley, April 10, 2005, 03:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

After my little oil filter fiasco, LOL! I decided to take her out for a short ride. Now as you all know I am new at this whole driving a bike thing. Just a little refresher- I did take the Basic Rider course from MSF back in October and did receive my license. I have only gotten out though on the bike approx. 4 times including today. So I am VERY new. Please take that into consideration. I am taking a class on maintenence-just the basics but it is still cool and fun.

But here is the deal.
I took the course back in October with relatively no problems. A little intimidation about the bikes (Susuki 250cc's) at first but got better as the day progressed. And was fine the next day, just rusty so to speak. Did not drop the bike once nor did I ever feel like I was going to. Bike actually felt too small for me.

I love the Vision. The looks, the engine, everything. But everytime that I have taken her out I have dropped her. I know I am new, I know that I can expect to drop the bike once in awhile, but everytime? I am honestly wondering if the bike is just too big for me physically. I lowered the seat and although i have not finished it yet by putting the cover on it, it is a low as I possibly can get it. I actually think it is too low and I still can not flat foot the bike. I checked the throttle and front brake position and they are already on the closest position.

Please be honest with me and tell me what you guys think. I am 5 foot 4 inches and have an inseam of 29 1/2 inches.
Thanks for helping this now bummed person out.
-Heather :'(
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

ProfessorRex

Heather... don't despair!  I'm 5'10 and I dropped it OFTEN when I was first riding.  I felt like it was top heavy and I was in the same place you are, thinking "oh man, I started with too much bike, I should get a dual sport or something light and low".  With experiance, I've developed a good feel for how to balance the bike when stopped and I'm confident the same will happen for you.  Of course, you could always get something smaller ride it for a bit, then sell it when you're more comfortable.

Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

fiddlesticks

I dont think you should give up yet,but it depends on how safe you feel on the bike. The Vision is a long bike which makes it feel heavy sometimes side to side especiaily on slow turns or at least thats how it feels to me. It sounds to me like you just need more riding time to get confortable but should it be on a small bike or the vision. I have heard that taking a dirt bike riding course helps alot with balance and tricky situations. Maybe thats an option. HTH

Fiddlesticks
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

hfarley

That is a good idea I just don't know if hubby will go along with it. I would have to find another really good deal like I found on this bike in order for him to say ok.  One of the things that bothers me a lot is the distance between the throttle and the front brake lever. It almost seems as if my hands just aren't big enough. That is usually what causes me to drop the bike. I usually end up blipping the throttle when rolling off of it and reaching for the brake. I don't know if measurement helps here but from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my palm it is about 6 inches long. Basically the longest part of my hand. The measurement from my middle finger knuckle to the base of my hane (towards wrist end) is 4 inches in length. I am finding that I have to hold the throttle at the inner end (closest to the instrument panel) in order to be able to reach the brake lever.  Am I doing something wrong with this? I know it is hard to tell without actually seeing my hand. I will try to go out and take a picture so that you can see my hand expanse.
Thanks again!
-Heather

MotorPlow

Flat Footing the bike?  I think that right there might, or might not be your problem.  Now, before I try and help you, my inseam is 33in and I am 5'10", so I have a couple of inches on you.  I have been riding street bikes since 1992.  I took an 8 yr break from bikes and now I am on my vision and love riding again.

Now on to your problem.  When I ride, I don't put my foot down very often.  Obviously, you will hit a stop light every now and then.  I also said my foot, not my feet.  I noticed that when I do have to come to a complete stop, by the time I get to this point, I have already down shifted to 1st.  Then when my bike comes to almost a complete stop, I lean the bike very slightly to the shifter side (Left side) and put my toes and "ball" of my foot to the pavement.  It's almost like the bike stops and then I put my foot down, not having to walk the bike with my feet.  I don't seem to have to put my heel to the ground.  With my foot down and the two wheels, that is 3 points of contact.  The bike shouldn't go anywhere.  4 points of contact is not necessary.

It's just the opposite when I take off from a stop light.  As I am already in 1st gear, it's...  Slight throttle, clutch release, foot to the foot peg and gone.  I don't drag my feet like I see a lot of inexperienced sport bike riders too.  Man that erks me when I see that.

I think it really comes with a lot of practice.  I don't know if this helps or not, but it is my honest opinion.

Chris F

hfarley

Ok here are some links to the pictures we just took of my hand on the throttle and front brake. If you can not see them please go to my blog. http://1982yamahavision.blogspot.com

Tell me what you guys think. Thanks!

-heather

Brian_Matthewson

Heather...
At a bike show a couple of years ago, I asked a female Ontario Provincial Police officer who was not much taller than you how she liked the Harley she was showing in the OPP booth. She said she had some problems when she first started riding it but with patience & practice she had got to the point where she was completely comfortable with it. If you think the Vision is big have you ever tried a Harley?!?!

I also have dropped my bike several times, almost every time by using the front brake when coming to a stop. If you use the front brake, you have to be pointed dead straight otherwise the braking action will cause you to dump to the left or right. Now when coming to a stop, when I get to about walking speed, I use the rear brake...no problems since. I mention this because you have a problem with the front brake lever...might be using it too much.

Remember...there are two types of riders, those who have dropped their bikes and those who will drop their bikes...stick with it...you'll get there!

Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

MotorPlow

Is your front brake lever bent?  It looks like it has a larger space from the throttle to the lever than what is on my bike.  It might just be the angle of the picture.

PS: Your nail polish matches the new pin stripping on lucky's bike.

hfarley

LOL! I just had a spa for a dya yesterday, so I am all soaked, buffed, polished, and lotioned. Basically as my husband put it, I went in for my 30 year old tune-up.  It was a Christmas gift that I just finally got around to using. It does match Lucky's bike doesn't it? LOL!

It would have been a good idea to post a picture with out my hand wouldn't it have? Anyway, it doesn't seeem bent. But I did notice that on the parts bike the lever seemed closer to the throttle. I will go out after dinner and actually measure the two to make sure I am not just seeing things.I will post a picture of the parts bike and of my bike. If it is bent can I fix it? If fixable, does it require just bending or replacement? If replacement does that include wiring too? I am just so new at this I kind of have no clue.

Thanks for the help!
-Heather

ProfessorRex

It's bent! get a new one from denniskirk and you'll notice a HUGE difference

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=57546&store=&catId=410&productId=p57546&leafCatId=41007

When you get the new one, you can use the adjuster screw if it's still to far away.

:::EDIT:::
I forgot that you have a spare! NICE! just take the one off the spare and put it on your rider! You'll be set.  Then you can play with the adjuster screw to get it just right.  If you've dropped the bike on that side its most likely bent, mine bent then broke in half!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

ps2/bikevision

if you find your handle is bent you can swap just the handle. just take the bolt out that runs through it. also if you know a good metal worker they can bend it (it takes heat and some skill to bend so you dont snap it.) or if you find the parts bike handle is more to your likeing just swap them.

kiawrench

Heather,
 ? ? I have always had problems riding, until i took a riding course designed for police motor officers. If you can call me, 1-843-@$#-&#%% , i will pass on the best help i can - i know a couple of things that will help you ride and stop without feeling as if you are going to fall over.

? Several of the older members here know these same things, but not being as short as we are, it doesnt ever come up,,
 ?you are still almost 3 inches taller than me , but i dont fall over with my v ,or my ktm dirt bike (2004 ktm 250 ?with full brembo race kit ) was a family buy,otherwise would never buy that .check with hubby, if he says ok, send me e-mail with home phone, i will call and pass on my bit of help,,,, it is easier to call than type, it can be a bit confusing on first go round ,but it all clears up as we speak !! ?
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

hfarley

I have taken pictures of both handle bars in order to verify that the settings on my bike are correct. They seem the same. Which either means that they both are ok or that they both were dropped on the right side doing the same amount of damage. I know that I dropped my bike 1 time on the right side but did no damage. I didn't even put a scratch on the tank. Don't ask me how, I am still wondering about that one. I also took pictures as you will see below of the throttle and brake lever from the side to see if they were off in that way. To me the top picture (the one of the Mamba, my bike) it seems as if it is higher. I do feel that the spare bike's brake is easier to grasp but also it does not feel like there is realy any braking going on. The bike doesn't run and the brakes don't seem to in good working order. They are MUCH easier to squeeze than my brakes. Could this be the problem?

Again if you can not see please view my blog at: http://1982yamahavision.com

hfarley

Kia, I am sending you an email with my number. Any help would be appreciated. You might however want to take your number off the internet. You never know who else could be checking the site. Thanks!
-Heather

interloper

when i first started riding, i put 150 miles on my kz 200 in a cow pasture before i ever hit the street. i'm only 5'4, and with a 29 inch inseam, and i've never dropped any bike. i almost dropped my vision the first day with it for the same reason you did. i figured out that if i open my hand a little, and reach for the brake while keeping my thumb on the throttle, i don't have to worry about hitting it, because if you're rotating the throttle foreward, it can't very well roll back. also, don't reach for the brake without pulling the clutch first. it's gotta be two separate actions. that way even if you hit the gas, it won't jerk the bike. but don't give up! the vision is quite a lot of bike to start on, but you'll get used to it. If you decide to get something smaller, i highly recommend the kz 440 ltd. In my opinion, it's the perfect short person motorcycle. ?good luck.

hfarley

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you everyone! I just spoke with Kia and he gave me some great ideas to start with. One of them was like you also suggested Professor that I should switch the levers. I am going to do that and a few other things tomorrow night and see if that helps me feel better on the bike. Hopefully if I make these adjustments and practice like Kia suggested braking and such I will be able to take her out and ride more comfortably. I will try to post tomorrow night with an update.
Thanks again!
-Heather

Lucky

Heather, your too short, give up & donate your bike to me!
ok, just kidding.. really though, your too short.. nope, kidding again...

Tip: don't look at the watch while riding, you'll fall down...

Motorplow: your dead to me! you hear me Dead to me, man!  ok, kidding again...

A whole freakin lot of hel i've been!!! huh?

you'll get it heather, it's all practice, practice, practice (& a few scrapes & brusies (war wounds, wear them proudly, just don't show us!)

Man i'm a stinker today...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

You never know Lucky, maybe I will just have to show you guys my war wounds when I get them. LOL! And what's the matter? You don't like reddish pink? Ok if you would like the actual color it is by OPI and it's called Big Apple Red.They make lipstick too. ?:-* ?I think you should use that color to paint your bike with. It would be sooo purty!! LOL!

You could even get hair extensions for you flame beard in red and wear them around town to match. Now there's and idea. LOL!!

I know, I know, you are never going to let me call you again. ?::)

-Heather

PS. Lucky there's no way your getting my bike.  :PEven if I have to park her in the garage until I get better on another bike she isn't going anywhere. I have been bitten by the Black Mamba.  ;D

Lucky

I tried the red beard extention once, ZZ Top came to my house & beat me up!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

Then maybe you should just dye the flames red instead on your beard.

;)
-Heather