News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Radiator Problems

Started by gpmiers, February 17, 2013, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpmiers

I've had a vision for almost a year now and have put over 2,000 miles on it. There hasn't been a moment that I haven't loved riding this bike. However, after a short ride one day, I noticed my radiator coolant overflow bottle bubbling and boiling. I let it cool down until I could ride it home and let her sit for awhile. I researched this a little and thought maybe this is a head gasket problem?

What could cause this and is there a simple fix without tearing the engine apart? I would also like to know about the best options out there for new speedo cables to the instrument cluster.

Thanks!

QBS

Did this happen after a hard run on hot day?  What was the temp guage telling you? 

gpmiers

My temp gauge doesn't read accurately anymore and the bike was only running for about 15min. It was not all that hot of a day. I actually was riding it home from a mechanic who just cleaned the carbs for me but this seemed to be a much different problem. I also noticed the coolant bottle was filled up almost all the way so maybe it was filled past the fill line?

PHM

I would pull the thermostat out and heat it up in water with a thermometer and see at what temperature is starts to open.

Rikugun

Blown head gasket does seem likely. Did you do anything prior to this happeneing? Flush the system? Change coolant? Oveerfill the radiator? Change thermostat? Replace a hose? Break (open) the system in any way? Does the fan come on?

Start the bike cold with the radiator cap off. Some fluid movement will occurr (unless all the impeller blades are missing) as the bike warms but does it "bubble" especially right away?

Maybe you came across this thread in your search: http://sportbike775.com/forum/index.php?topic=148.0 Seems like a blown head gasket and much discussion ensues but ends when guy claims the problem resolved itslef...  :o  Claim seems a bit dubious but whatever....  ::)

At the bottom of the first page (of 3 in that thread) is an embedded YouTube clip of an R6 running while the catch bottle bubbles away. The video is from another forum (R6) with someone's very similar problem. Link here: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71430 A mechanic uses an exhaust sniffer in the emptied radiator while the bike is runnning and detects emissions. uh oh Sounds like a blown gasket.....    In this guy's case it was a blown head gasket. Could have been worse - could be a cracked head!  :(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

A blown head gasket is not a common problem on the XZ, Still it's possible . I don't know where you are but around here you can get a cooling system pressure checker  for free. You pay for it and they allow you to return it and get your money back . Look into it/
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike