News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Inline Fuel Filter

Started by Rob_OS23, May 08, 2005, 08:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_OS23

Well, I thought I would find the answer to this question no problem searching the old post, but no luck.
Where exactly do i want to install an inline fuel filter? ?Obviously between the gas tank and the carbs(or fuel pump), but in which fuel line? ?I have two coming off the petcock, one large and one small... ?Do I want it in one of those two lines, right at the tank? ?Does it matter which one? ?I figured one must be for the reserve, and that I would most likely want it in that one, but I would also think that it would be best to have ALL fuel coming from the tank filtered...

MotorPlow

Hello,
The large fuel line is the fuel line.  The smaller "fuel line" us a vacuum line that opens the petcock while the bike is running to allow fuel to flow in the "larger fuel line" to the carbs.  The reserve is actually a shorter straw inside the tank.  Basically, the reserve straw allows you to use fuel from the tank at a lower level.  If you have an '83, you will also have a "return line", but I don't know much about that as I own an '82.

Enjoy,
Chris F.

kiawrench

ahhhhhh  grass hopper, you seek the location of the best placement of a fuel filter?
    it is good you ask,,, wrong hose = no fuel , wrong place =vapor lock

to find the right hose, turn fuel petcock to prime, observe to point where fuel pours from!  this is the point to which a 4 inch section of hose is to be placed, then the filter, then the carb fuel line.
    being a follower of better not seen than sit in hot sun, i used pre-formed hose sections from napa, made all of my fuel lines neat , out of sight and secured to bike with zip ties. the whole trick is to keep the filter out of the sun, that way you dont end up with mid day vapor lock .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

fiddlesticks

Hey Rob
We just installed a new filter in our bike bought it at napa,  
just a small cone shaped filter. The first one we ran was between the carb and pecock but very close to carb but a nightmare to change. This time we went straight out of the pecock install filter one loop and back into the carb attached to the frame up under the tank. Out of site outta mind.If you want part # let me know. Just attach it to the nossel that is larger and horizontal { Fuel}not pointing to the ground,{Vacume}

Fiddlesticks
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Rob_OS23

Thanks everyone,
I bought one at honda, a little tiny one, but I am finding that as short as it is, I find that I am really cramming the rest of the pre-existing hoses towards the front....
I wouldn't mind getting that part #, in case it is a little easier to workwith.  Something with maybe a 90 degree angle on it might work better...

fiddlesticks

No problemo Rob. Im at work now but I'll get the p # when I go home at lunch.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

fiddlesticks

Rob. your  NAPA part # is 7-02357
Only a couple bucks. Check your email  ;D
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Superfly

I like the 90 degree cone filters, I get them at the local motorcycle shop.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Rob_OS23

There doesn't seem to be a lot of stores in my area that carry motorcycle parts.  We do have a napa dealer though, I will give them a call, thank you :)