News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

83 carbs

Started by Superfly, May 03, 2005, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey Guys...

If I use a set of 83 carbs on my 82, do I need a 83 main engine mount??

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

you will need the additional clearance the 83 mount provides, but you can grind out an 82 mount to allow room for the carbs, it's what i did.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Lucky,

When you did your 82/83 upgrade, how did you wire your fuel sending unit. ?I have a 82 wiring harness with 83 gauges, clipped the ends of the harness (for the gauges) put in the bigger (4 gang) plug for the 83 instead of the smaller (3 gang) plug goes for the 82, the extra wire (green) is for the fuel sending unit. ?I hooked up a cirucuit tester (the one with the point and the light bulb) and hooked it up to the green wire, and it would blink (not constant power) ?has anyone else tried this? ?

So my question is, did you hook up the fuel sending unit (from the tank) straight into the gauges (drawing the power from the gauges) or do you have to pull from a extra power source?  
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

If i remember right, I think tthe guage itself taps power off the temp guage, i'd have to check the diagram.

the green wire is actually a ground wire between the sending unit & the guage, & the other wire on the sender goes directly to ground. In other words, the guege works by having the sender change the resistance to ground, so you would measure Ohms at the guage end of the wire, not volts.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black