News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

reckon I'm close to tears here

Started by redxz550inoz, April 18, 2005, 01:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redxz550inoz

QuoteThere is a joke in there somewhere, isn't there?

No, sorry MotorPlow.
I've been so busy driving the truck today, I barely had any time with the V  :D

redxz550inoz

LOL silicon_toad, reckon I coulda done that just pushin her  ;D

fiddlesticks

Very glad to hear you bike has come to life again. ;D
Congrats!
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

ozian

Good on you girl, great feeling to get her going , isnt it

Ian

hfarley

Hey Red,
Isn't it a great feeling to fix the bike yourself? :D Before this I never even did half the stuff that I have done on this bike. This board is great and then to be able to get stuff running again knowing full well that you did it your self is an even better feeling!! Congrats!! It is about time more women did their own mechanical work. Besides we need to continue to improve our ways that we show the guys up right? ;) ;D Have a fun ride!! 8)
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

redxz550inoz

sigh - have just been told my baby is not real well (internally)
having tried for days to get synch and tuning right without much success, I resorted to taking her to a mechanic (figured he'd have it done in next to no time with the right gear)
good news is carbs are now synched/tuned.
bad news is, although she idles fine, she's a bear to start and just WON'T start when hot. Runs like a hairy goat between 2000 and 4000rpm (above that she's like a rocket). Open the throttle up quick and you have to gently/slowly bring the revs back down or they drop like a stone and she stalls (and then won't start again)
the mechanic tells me the compression is down (not below spec yet but he says it could also be carbon deposits giving him an inaccurate reading) and leak down test results were far from positive.
Geez, and i just thought I had her running a little on the rich side  LOL
Apparently this guy used to work on these bikes when they were new and reckons they were a bugger to work on then so he wasn't exactly keen to do this for me.
He also let me know the regulator was putting out about 18 - 20V which he says could be part of the "hairy goat" problem.
Should I be taking this guy at his word or is he just another in a long list of people who would rather see this bike on a scrap heap than on the road?
I figure I've got a couple of spare motors around so I'll see what I can do with what I've got I suppose.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

thanks
Christie

Rick G

I've found the most wrenchs  found the Vision "different "  which caused them to have to think , so they didn't like it !
in the end you will know much more than he does about your Vision. Get a compression tester , one suitable for 12mm plugs,  and test it your self, then let us know  what you find.  I suspect hes off base.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Wayne

Christie-Try a little something one time if you do not mind. Block off the YICS temporarily, leave the enricher in off position, turn the fuel to prime, twist the throttle wide open 3 times, then remove your hand from throttle. Turn key on and hit starter button. If the bike fires and tries to start at this point, you have a carb problem, not a engine problem. The above procedure may seem a little unusual, but try it. LOL