News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Wiring Harness Repair.

Started by lexx790, August 09, 2009, 08:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexx790

The next part of my restoration is the wiring harness.
I've repaired all the suspect joints and put it back to standard as much as possible.
Before stripping the bike I have checked the electrics and everything worked fine and I even had it started for a few minutes.
My reason for the post is there is an extra fuse, put in by a previous owner, which is between the handlebar start switch and the starter relay. Is this a known problem area and if so what is the problem?
Also are the US and UK harness's different as the haynes manual shows 4 circuits for various models?

Lucky

There is a fuse in the headlight bucket for the cooling fan, could that be what your refering to?

other than that, it sounds like the p.o. was just overly cautious.  might be he had a incident once on something else & felt that part of the curcit needed fuse protection...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

Maybe a cheap attempt at antitheft?  Pull the fuse disable the start button?
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

lexx790

I've looked at this in a bit more detail tonight and the red/white wires from each side of the fuse box have been joined and feed the red/white wire via a fuse to the starter switch relay.
The red/white from the Starting circuit cut-off relay is no longer used, so now I'm wondering if theres been a problem with this cut-off relay.
I don't like the fact that one of the fuses has been bypassed and still can't understand why a fuse has been put in front of the starter relay.
I'm going to put it back to the original configuation but use a blade type fuse box instead of the round fuses.